Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 11:30   #31

Re: Help Needed

I like a challenge!!! My work has to do with problems and what to do when things go wrong. And there are harder things in life than buying a boat! But you are right that I have a lot of work ahead of me. As far as people I can trust, I trust everyone who gives me good advice and no one who gives me bad advice. And the trust only lasts for the duration of the advice if that makes sense.
Newbie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:41   #32

Boat: 41' Sail

Buying a boat is the easy part...
Old 25-10-2012, 12:09   #33

Well, maybe not easy exactly. I am looking for more boats in Asia. Why are they so much more expansive!!! What a pain!
Newbie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:15   #34

Best of luck!
Old 25-10-2012, 15:39   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2012 View Post
Well, maybe not easy exactly. I am looking for more boats in Asia. Why are they so much more expansive!!! What a pain!
Basically it is supply and demand...

Same reason $250k doesn't buy much in Australia.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 15:49   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Come down here to Florida. So many boats here for sale at decent prices. Annapolis of course is also a great place to look. And put in the islands you can get amazing deals pm boats where on half of the crew decided they had enough and left it there to be sold.

Get yourself a broker and start looking.

You will find tons of great boats in that price range on yachtworld.com.

Start by putting in used, 2005-2012, 40-45 feet or whatever you like and see what's out there.

Once you find one you like start doing some research on the positives and negatives of that make and model.

Once you choose a model you like, you then need to find all available and the best deal you can get the closest to where you want it.

P.S. Where in the US are you going looking?
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 15:55   #37

Spot on Mike! Great advise and a great learing process to boot!

ps-393 is a good boat! Met a couple this year in Turtle Bay just completing a lap around the planet aboard their 393. Nice folks!
Old 25-10-2012, 16:15   #38

Thanks Cap.

Not saying this is the boat for you Newbie, but just an example. I saw this today and was like Sweeeeeeeet. The boat had a small electrical fire. Funny I almost had one as well. I'm pretty sure it is when both A/C units start out at the same time it draws too much current. It's something I am looking into right now. For now I only run one AC at a time and no longer have crazy hot 30 amp shore wires.

Beneteau's also have their weaknesses but it's a lot of boat for the price. So a lot of dollars left over to make them yours. Also their services is pretty good and large dealer network.

Check it out....

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 25-10-2012, 18:16   #39

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

Newbie, your enthusiasm is appreciated. I am in the same boat as you, just starting out. I'm not so sure that running out and buying a boat right now, is your best move. The learning on this subject is HUGE.....if, you are smart. I mean, how many terms of the nautical glossary do you know? Being alone, and having your boat running all the time means you know how to fix EVERYTHING? Can you fix the broken engine? how will you handle a boat that is taking on water or what do you do if your boat is completely flipped in a freak storm? I think there is a lot to learn before EVER taking out a boat of any kind. Boat shopping to me is almost overwhelming considering all that is out there. Take some lessons, get out on the water with friends who have boats, hang out at the marina, learn as much as you can get your schooling in or whatever licenses you seek, hang out and lurk like crazy on this forum which is a plethora of wisdom and give it a chance first. Just my 2 cents from another newbie
Nomadgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 18:48   #40

My first boat was a 43 foot boat that I took off on. I'm not saying don't take lessons etc. I took all kinds of courses. But there is nothing like doing it to learn fast.

Best thing I did though was hired a captain and went cruising with the instructions that I did almost everything. He just needed to stop me when I was doing something wrong or teach me better ways to do something etc.
Old 25-10-2012, 19:05   #41

Smart idea. 24/7 instruction.
Old 25-10-2012, 23:03   #42

Boat: Lightwave 38 cat, Corsair C

We have Australia catamaran which is now located in SE Asia. The yacht is already tax paid in Australia so if you purchase, you can sail back. The yacht is Lightwave build on GoldCost. It fully equipped except air condition. If interested, please inform so we can send photos, story.
cchaiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 07:02   #43

I'd sail her for you for $20,000 as long as you understood I have extremely limited sailing experience lol (you can always insure her for my voyage lol)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 07:51   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I am envious you have the where with all to buy a boat for that kind of money. All the power to ya. Another option for moving the vessel is "Dockwise" Yacht Transport | Boat Transport
My friend moved his Peterson 44 from NZ to Ensenada, Mx. for $14K US. They originally quoted more but he waited until about 6 weeks before they set sail and they drastically reduces the price in order to fill the decks. There are a lot of well priced boats in Southern California. Just a hop to Ensenada.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 15:16   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I am envious you have the where with all to buy a boat for that kind of money. All the power to ya. Another option for moving the vessel is "Dockwise" Yacht Transport | Boat Transport
My friend moved his Peterson 44 from NZ to Ensenada, Mx. for $14K US. They originally quoted more but he waited until about 6 weeks before they set sail and they drastically reduces the price in order to fill the decks. There are a lot of well priced boats in Southern California. Just a hop to Ensenada.
Ship it Long Beach to Shanghai - I hear there are lots of empty ships headed that way
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote