Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 10:39   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Help Marina Wants Out Of Water Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Sounds like a super method to create additional work for surveyors. Guess some money flows back to the marina. Especially if they accept only surveyors choose by them.

If they would just expect a visual in the slings by qualified marina staff it should suffice.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
Sorry, an inspection in slings by Marina staff is worth squat wrt verifying safety standards compliance.

Any marina worth being at should insist each boater price $2M liability insurance coverage. Any insurance provider should require a survey every 5 years. That simple.

I'm with Boat Poker. I see a lot of boats I wouldn't want to be anywhere near in a marina. I see so much DIY work that has created a floating bomb, just waiting for one false move.

I am thankful our Marina requires proof of insurance, and that insurance companies require periodic surveys.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:54   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Sorry, an inspection in slings by Marina staff is worth squat wrt verifying safety standards compliance.
What many readers of this thread may not realize is that in California, most marinas are not associated with boatyards. Marinas and boatyards are typically separate business entities. So the marina staff are office and marina maintenance personnel and as such, are unqualified to inspect any boat for safety or mechanical issues.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:55   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yeah, except that's not what you posted. You said that the marina is intentionally trying to get berthers to leave.

Talk about not getting your facts straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Alameda Marina in Ca. is doing the same thing. But it's goal is to rid of as many boats as they can since they are trying to remove anything related to boats in order to build high rise condos that sale for $750,000. The community is fighting it but in the meantime, they want out of water surveys to see how many get sick and fed-up and leave.
Here is the post in question for the reading impaired. It is one person leading this charge...
...but addressing a larger issue here...what happened to you Matt? I look at your posts from back in 2012 and they are kind, to the point and appreciated. I hope this doesn't provoke more tantrum style responses but maybe an honest look at your attitude towards people the last few years
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:59   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is the post in question for the reading impaired. It is one person leading this charge...
...but addressing a larger issue here...what happened to you Matt? I look at your posts from back in 2012 and they are kind, to the point and appreciated. I hope this doesn't provoke more tantrum style responses but maybe an honest look at your attitude towards people the last few years
Any requirement for a survey is not an attempt to clear out the marina. While the developer/majority shareholder in Pacific Shops Inc. does have plans to redevelop the land surrounding the marina, the marina itself isn't going anywhere. So your assertion that Alameda Marina is trying to empty itself of rent-paying berthers is simply ridiculous.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I guess we'll see if that is true in the next few years.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:22   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Sounds like a super method to create additional work for surveyors. Guess some money flows back to the marina. Especially if they accept only surveyors choose by them.

If they would just expect a visual in the slings by qualified marina staff it should suffice.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
No they do not choose the surveyor but the marina owners are smart people. They know that of the 250 surveyors in Ontario there are only a handful of good ones and 240 that are clueless. They sometimes pay me to double check other surveyors work.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:23   #37

an out of the water survey usually means they want a survey, INCLUDING the out of water portion, not limited to that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:00   #38

Boat: Scout 30

Sounds like a good time to do a bottom job.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:08   #39
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I guess we'll see if that is true in the next few years.
Look, nothing's written stone, but in no iteration of development concepts that have been submitted, has any change been made to the marina itself. And the developer has said as much. He wants to keep the marina. The marina earns money from what would otherwise be empty water and it attracts home buyers and businesses to the development.

BTW- my business is based at Alameda Marina, I rent inside dry storage space there for my inflatable boat, dive gear, tools, anode inventory etc., so I stand to lose a lot if redevelopment happens. It behooves me to keep my ear to the ground and know what is going on.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:10   #40

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Sounds like a lawyer was involved. Probably had a client that had one or more vessels sink at the dock, probably due to poor condition. The clause was added to reduce the problem, and it is spreading, as many bureaucratic ideas tend to do. As previously mentioned in the thread, you can move on. However perhaps you can look at it as an opportunity for an inspection/survey that could be of benefit. Still, the choice is yours, just as the right include the condition was theirs. Have you asked about the reason for the condition?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33   #41

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I wonder why they would not just accept a relative recent insurance survey.

One more reason to anchor or how on a mooring.

If you have spots to anchor around. In our over regulated times they get scarce.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 10-10-2016, 12:53   #42

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: help marina wants out of water survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This is the marina I mentioned in Post #9. They also want to know that all electrical, fuel and propane systems are kosher.

They got stung for over $100k to clean up a sunken boat after a fire when the owners insurer denied coverage a few years ago.
Its not a great marina...I would just keep my boat elsewhere.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:47   #43

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
It takes no time and little cost to have the yard haul you and bottom survey done while you're in the slings. They're likely not asking for a value survey just safety so you should be able to get a cut price deal from the surveyor as well unless the boat is in rough shape and then the survey might take more effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sure why not check through hulls, apply some bottom paint, and replace your zincs...
Old 10-10-2016, 14:21   #44

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
And we see these types of people on this forum all the time. I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen postings along the lines of "I don't know anything about boats or sailing, but I got this 40 foot boat for free, and I'm going to fix it up and sail it around the world." They are full of enthusiasm and posting constantly for 5-6 months. Then they suddenly disappear--never to be heard from again.
Maybe we haven't heard from them because they started to circumnavigate and the boat wasn't in good enough shape? In that case, the marina doesn't have the hassle of boat removal
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:32   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Maybe we haven't heard from them because they started to circumnavigate and the boat wasn't in good enough shape? In that case, the marina doesn't have the hassle of boat removal
As a paid favor for a former harbormaster of the aforementioned Alameda Marina, I cleaned a real POS bought by an old guy who couldn't afford the slip it was in. The harbormaster (with reluctance) wanted him out, but we had to scrape the 10 years of growth off the bottom first. The owner was there when I did the job and as I passed under the running gear to show him a handful of what was growing on the hull, I grabbed the prop to pull myself past. Here's the result:

Tags
survey, water