Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53   #1

Help Choosing the Project and the Designer/Naval Architect.

Hello there,
I have recently made a decision to leave the cities and the continent behind and start living onboard and single hand circumnavigate the globe in a never-ending voyage. I have some sailing and open sea experience, because I am former navy officer, but not good for my personal standards and especially not enough for such project. So it is my intention to set sail in about 4 years, which will give me time to do whatever necessary, including building my own sailboat. I have been Reading various forums about several different topics, ranging from boat size to project designers, and the pros and cons of buying (a commercial or a used one) or building.
Well, opinions vary as everything in life! Therefore, since I have time, I decided to build my own. It will also allow me to get well-familiarized will the details and places of everything that will form my home to be for the coming years.
Now I need to select the project. Again, there are so many variations and I weighting them all to form my own opinion. As of now, I decided for a mono steel hull, ranging from 28-45 foots, with movable keel, center cockpit and preferable a pilothouse. Lifting keels seems to be a nice to have in some occasions to preserve the boat, but I am not sure yet what could be the cons. To be decided…..
So far, I came across two lists of designers/naval architects ( List of Yacht Designers & Naval Architects - YachtForums.Com and Sailboat Designer List, Sailboats Listed by Designer, Sailboatdata.com ) and checked the pages of a few. Not all of them sell plans and a significant smaller number sell pre-cut kits. As of now, I have selected 3 names: Bruce Roberts, Van de Stadt and Roberto Barros. For each of them I found good and not so good reviews.
I don’t want to mess things around here, and I know that I am running the risk of start a very long thread on something that has been debated for years, but could you please help me selecting a good project designer/naval architect and a project model?
Best,
Guilherme
grafare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Help Choosing the Project and the Designer/Naval Architect.

I would be among those that consider the building of your own vessel to be a costly, time and labor intensive task that is never redeemed in the final product. ....but, enough said for that! For those with the interest I would take a look at "Brent Swain origami steel boat".
Old 03-01-2014, 08:42   #3

Thanks. Well, I can imagine how hard, costly and time consuming this task can be. However, it is necessary to point out that I will select the project/designer and hire professionals to do it. So, by doing this, I will be involved in the porcess, learning the necessary skills and knowing the details, and taking control of time and cost.

I tried to find the project you mentioned, but apparently only discussions about it can be located. I will dig deeper.
grafare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help Choosing the Project and the Designer/Naval Architect.

I'd add Maurice Griffiths to your list... I know this is wood but many of his plans are also laid out for steel...
Other MG Designs | Eventide Owners Association

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

If you want to cast the lines off in four years, and you are building from keel up....you need to contact Dr. Emmett Brown....

Go back in time at least 10 years, and you might just make your departure date....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emmett brown.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	73203  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Here's another photo of a Griffiths boat, as recommended by Boatman. I've seen these people with this beauty on several occasions along the US East Coast.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help Choosing the Project and the Designer/Naval Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Here's another photo of a Griffiths boat, as recommended by Boatman. I've seen these people with this beauty on several occasions along the US East Coast.

Aint she sweet...
Gives you an idea who influenced 'Fishers'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My own (current) boat is a Van De Stadt design - aluminum Samoa 47'. We had people weld the hull and then we did the interior and systems ourselves.

Lots of pictures and details at S/V Hawk, and scattered elsewhere on the site

Happy to discuss it further if you want.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:38   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

can I ask what are the main reasons driving a boat build project , ?

Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Aint she sweet...
Gives you an idea who influenced 'Fishers'...
Yeah, she is sweet, but now I'm pretty sure I am wrong about the Maurice Griffith origin. I know this boat was produced by some "brothers" outfit in the PNW. I thought it was Griffith, but I can't find it on line. Oh well, I've had worse things lost in my memory!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39   #11

I strongly suggest you buy a boat that you like and refit it. That alone is a huge project. If you build your own steel boat you will still be building in 4 years. You will also spend more money than you can buy a boat for. At this point you dont even know if you like the cruising life. Many people never find that out because they take on a project like you are talking about and it never comes to fruition. Unless you want to be a shipwright....Go cruising!
I have built one boat and completely refit another including interior. In both cases it was more expensive than buying and I walked away wishing I hadnt. Just sayin'......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:41   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I agree, most people I know building a boat are fundamentally boat builders not sailors. SOme never actually leave the dock even with the boat afloat

dave
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafare View Post
Thanks. Well, I can imagine how hard, costly and time consuming this task can be. However, it is necessary to point out that I will select the project/designer and hire professionals to do it. So,......................
I agree with those suggesting that this route of having a boat built is outside the reasonable plan for most of us, but the OP expressed a plan that implies deep pockets.
Old 03-01-2014, 13:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I agree, most people I know building a boat are fundamentally boat builders not sailors. SOme never actually leave the dock even with the boat afloat

dave
Quote:
I agree with those suggesting that this route of having a boat built is outside the reasonable plan for most of us, but the OP expressed a plan that implies deep pockets.
My impression is that the OP intended to project manage the build, but hire contractors to do the work. That's a pretty well proven approach. It is not at all like "home building". You can get a "pro built" boat without all the overheads if a yard.. . . If you are good at project management. There were a pair of 65' chuck Paine boats built this way in holland that were beautiful and (reasonably) economical.

And to those negative about building . . . Yes, there are horror stories . . . . But there are also success stories . . . We ourselves would be one of the later.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 13:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
For those with the interest I would take a look at "Brent Swain origami steel boat".
When I read the opening post I thought of the same designer, saves the problem of center board by offering twin keels which I kind of like.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, designer