Re: Hello! Motor yacht questions!

lien hwa just more of the same junk

Old 05-11-2014, 15:26   #32
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf8751 View Post
I have looked at these before, not too bad, but most were trawlers. Only thing I have against trawlers is their cruising speed is pretty slow. .............
You should learn the fuel cost difference between "pretty slow" and whatever you have in mind. I think you'll be pretty shocked.

Old 05-11-2014, 15:49   #33

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
leaking windows are a tell tale sign of wood rot. the core of the hosue is plywood and is probabaly rotten as well.

Big engine room that becsdue its singl;e engine and the boat was designed with the option for two engines.

yiou will need plenty of blue p[lasctic tarps to survibve the winter.. this is another tiwan boat.

don't take in someleses problems unless you are prepared to fix them.

the only thing decent that comes out of china are Choy lee's and grand banks and I think they are out of your price range and the grand banks are all wood and unless maintained in a covered shed berth, the older they are the more problems above the waterline you will have.

Viking betram or hatteras.

hire a good surveyor familiar with these boats. there are endemic problems that he should know where to look for
The upside with Marine Trader (and most trawlers) they have a partial leaded keel and are are very stable cruisers with a lot of room for liveaboards and entertaining. Twin diesels cruise at 9 knots and only burn 4 1/2 GPH total.

A lot of boat for around $50K. They have rock solid hulls and you said that you are handy and able to take on projects so you should be able to handle most other upgrades/repairs.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2014, 15:56   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Taiwanese boats can be hit and miss, but overall the fiberglass work was well done but the yards cut corners in a lot of other areas. I personally own a 1982 Cheoy Lee sailboat built in the Hong Kong yard and it was built like a tank. But the portlights were installed with bedding compound and all leaked, it has some other issues as well. If I was you I would stay away from Taiwan. For the budget you have buy yourself a 53' - 61' Hatteras which were hands down the best motoryachts built in the 1980's. You need to think about resale because at some point you will sell and the Hatteras will hold its value better than anything else you can find.
Most important get a good surveyor to look at the boat before you buy anything. Talk to a bunch of yacht brokers and ask them who the best surveyor is in your area and when 4 or 5 of them all recommend the same guy use him. Most surveyors are like Stevie Wonder and will miss more than they find which can cost you a lot of $$$.
Old 05-11-2014, 16:49   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For a gut check, my buddy has a 51 ft liveaboard. Last year they spent $21000 in diesel.... according to him. They do go out often and can plane at over 20....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 17:20   #36

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I owned a Lien Hua trawler. It was a very nice boat, and I got it for a very good price. Is it as nice as a Hatteras? Not really, but a lot depends on the boat, in a lot of ways. For me, price was a deciding factor. Like any other boat, you have to check it out very carefully. I suggest a professional survey of boat and engine. Remember that the engine can be very expensive if you have a problem. Trawlers are heavier and slower, but get better fuel consumption. In some conditions they ride easier, but not all. If I were living aboard, I'd look first at accommodations, price and seaworthiness. I would recommend a sturdy well found boat, but if your planned area of travel is local, you don't need to get the "serious" blue water boat.

I do recommend you look for a fiberglass hull, and avoid teak decks. There are a lot of hidden structural and maintenance issues there. Also, remember that if there is a lot of wood trim, you need to take care of it on a regular basis. Good luck to you.
Old 05-11-2014, 17:24   #37
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Good advise from last poster....Rinse and repeat; Good advise from last poster.)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 21:01   #38

Thanks guys, we have decided to stay away from the taiwanese boats so we didn't pursue the Lien Hwa any further. I'm just going to be patient and keep my eyes open for a Hatteras, Viking, or Bertram. Right now, there just aren't any in my price range that we like. There are a few older 70's but just aren't what we are looking for. There is one in Long Beach for $199k but its just a little bit out of our price range. Its really nice though. If anybody is in the SoCal area, please let me know if you see or hear of anything. Much appreciate to everyone and keep talking on here guys, I'm learning alot.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:24   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Thanks guys, we have decided to stay away from the taiwanese boats so we didn't pursue the Lien Hwa any further. I'm just going to be patient and keep my eyes open for a Hatteras, Viking, or Bertram. Right now, there just aren't any in my price range that we like. There are a few older 70's but just aren't what we are looking for. There is one in Long Beach for $199k but its just a little bit out of our price range. Its really nice though. If anybody is in the SoCal area, please let me know if you see or hear of anything. Much appreciate to everyone and keep talking on here guys, I'm learning alot.
+1

Skippered a 62 Hat and 58 Bert, both mid 80's.... We'll keep our eyes peeled...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
+1

Skippered a 62 Hat and 58 Bert, both mid 80's.... We'll keep our eyes peeled...

Old 06-11-2014, 05:34   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yipppeee!!!

Double post accomplishment!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:54   #42

Hey guys, looking at a 1990 Californian 52' that I'm told was built here in California or North Carolina by Carver. What do you guys know about these yachts as far as build quality? Much appreciated guys.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:26   #43

Quote:
Hey guys, looking at a 1990 Californian 52' that I'm told was built here in California or North Carolina by Carver. What do you guys know about these yachts as far as build quality? Much appreciated guys.
First they were built by the Marshall family who most recently built Navigators.

I would say a decent boat overall. If it surveys it should work.

Someone here said you can get 50% off power boats. I wouldn't expect that unless it is a boat that you probably don't want anyway.

Are there any Chris Craft 46 or 50's out your way in your price range? Definitely worth a look.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Here is a link for you to have a look at to help gain some knowledge about boat construction. Also has some boat reviews. This guy is a real straight shooter.
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Hatteras 53 Motor Yacht - Hatteras Yachts

Stay away from the Californian brand not really any better than Taiwan boats.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40   #45

The Powerboat Guide does an excellent job with reviews and layouts. Problem is that as the guides get newer, the older models drop out.

You are looking at older boats so an older guide such as below could be valuable.

Powerboat Guide by Ed Mcknew and Mark Parker 1992 Paperback 0877423601 | eBay

Also, even though a Hatteras 53 might not be in the current guide, you can Google "Hatteras 53 Powerboat Guide" and the old page comes up. This doesn't work with all models.

Lastly, for old Hatteras brochures, go to Sam's Marine International and click on brochures. Ton of free stuff. They also have an owners forum with good information.

Tags
motor, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: