Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-11-2014, 13:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: Hello!!!!!! Motor yacht questions!!!!

Of all the boats on your list Hatteras is the only one I would consider personally. Definitely the best built of the group. Great space.
Also Bertram made some motoryachts in the 80's that were built on sportfishing hulls and were great sea boats, good construction.
You would want to buy the other brands at a serious discount to justify the second rate quality.
Good luck

Old 04-11-2014, 14:01   #17

Trader 475
Trader 475 for sale, 14.45m, 1998, 2 x diesel 225hpGRP construction, semi-displacement underwater profile, 8 berth(s), Ref:112210

Boat REF#112210
Price
US$100,000.00 Reduced
LOA 47'5"
Year1998
ConstructionGRP
Underwater profilesemi-displacement
Berths8
Engine2 x Diesel 225hp, Perkins Sabre (1998)
LyingBritish Virgin Islands
Make an offerTrader 475
Trader 475 for sale, 14.45m, 1998, 2 x diesel 225hpGRP construction, semi-displacement underwater profile, 8 berth(s), Ref:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1415134857.329751.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	90879

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!

Old 04-11-2014, 14:02   #18

Jtf

I looked over the trader in June this year, message me if you want some info

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Old 04-11-2014, 14:08   #19

Hoofsmit, I sent you a PM.

Ok, guys I have found some Hatteras that might work but most of them are late 70's, around 1979 and early 80's. What do you guys about the quality of the boats in this era? Thanks guys. I'm looking around for Viking and Bertram now.
Old 04-11-2014, 14:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Stay away from older Viking motoryachts, they were cored below the waterline which was a complete nightmare. Too bad as they had huge amount of space.
Old 04-11-2014, 17:21   #21

Well I bought a 89-90 Wellcraft 46 CMY. It also checks most of your blocks. The main thing about an older boat is when was the last time it was upgraded. Technology has changed since the late Disco era! Lived on it for two years now and thanks to a lightening strike, her electrical systems are now pretty well modern. Thank goodness for insurance! I like her and still continue upgrading a bit at a time! One word of advice. Make sure your mattress is the best you can afford! Sleeping comfortably is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-11-2014, 17:29   #22

Boat: Outremer 50S

Given the list you put up and the things you've looked at and liked, I'd add Delta to the list if you can find one in the layout you like. They were semi-custom so there are several different layouts around. Built in Washington at a place that started out in the fishing boat business. Nowadays they build mega-yachts, but in the 80s they put out a lot of boats in your size range that match most of the requirements and are built like a brick outhouse.

I just delivered a 50'er from SF to LA about a month ago that the buyer picked up for about ~$150k and it was a nice boat in good condition. Lots of room and well laid out. That particular one was a two-cabin forward layout, but I've seen a few other versions that might work with your aft cabin request.
Old 04-11-2014, 17:34   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One thing to think about....Do you really need a boat that big? Is there just two of you? More length = more maintenance, maintenance cost, moorage cost and esp in CA ....tax cost! Do you avoid the taxes if in the military?
I'm certainly no Powerboat expert....I agree the Californian is nice. A well kept Mainship or Lien hwa can do the job well also.
One thing to remember if you are new to big boats; the price is VERY negotiable... even more so in powerboats You might get as much as 50% off asking price. Stay un emotional about it, don't get tied to boat you "have to have" for twice the price. Also... if you are in the Military..and might get re-assigned... remember... boats are hard to sell, not unusual to take a couple years to sell and then at a discounted price...
The right Taiwanese boats are great. The wrong ones are terrible, but then that can be said about US boats also. Don't get anything old enough that the decks are fiberglass over plywood construction. You want one that has a molded fiberglass deck and preferably no screwed down teak decks.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:38   #24

Trust me, for two people a 46 footer can become small on occasion! One reason I like mine. It has five levels. We can always separate when necessary. It does happen.

Old 04-11-2014, 17:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in destin View Post
Trust me, for two people a 46 footer can become small on occasion! One reason I like mine. It has five levels. We can always separate when necessary. It does happen.

Good thing you're not a sailor!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 18:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One thing to think about....Do you really need a boat that big? Is there just two of you? More length = more maintenance, maintenance cost, moorage cost and esp in CA ....tax cost! Do you avoid the taxes if in the military?
I'm certainly no Powerboat expert....I agree the Californian is nice. A well kept Mainship or Lien hwa can do the job well also.
One thing to remember if you are new to big boats; the price is VERY negotiable... even more so in powerboats You might get as much as 50% off asking price. Stay un emotional about it, don't get tied to boat you "have to have" for twice the price. Also... if you are in the Military..and might get re-assigned... remember... boats are hard to sell, not unusual to take a couple years to sell and then at a discounted price...
The right Taiwanese boats are great. The wrong ones are terrible, but then that can be said about US boats also. Don't get anything old enough that the decks are fiberglass over plywood construction. You want one that has a molded fiberglass deck and preferably no screwed down teak decks.
Thanks for the response. No, right now we have a 5 year old that will be living with us and possibly another 5 year old so no, there possibly might be 4 of us sometimes. But for the majority of the time, its 3 people. Our son is very safe and can swim like a fish so no worries there, we taught him early. No, we still have taxes, don't avoid them even though its military. Also, we get a discounted rate at the marina because my wife is active duty.

Yes, we have put in one offer on a Lien Hwa and we came in very low, hoping to get it for very cheap. We have yet to hear anything back so more than likely they didn't like it, no counter offer. Can you someone help me understand the construction of the late 80's model Lien Hwa's ??? It doesn't have a teak deckbut not sure about fiberglass over the plywood, maybe someone can tell me about them around 1988 or 1989.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 18:29   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Anybody making excuses for Carvers (or Irwin sailboats) should find another hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:47   #28

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace
Re: Hello! Motor yacht questions!

Take a look at Marine Traders. lots of interior and exterior space for a live aboard. The 42' has a step down galley, large aft stateroom, 2 heads with shower over tubs. The engine room is huge and has great access thru the salon sole. Lots of beautiful teak trim and pretty solid except for leaky windows that for some reason plague a lot of Taiwan boats. I think a lot of bang for your buck. If it turns out live aboard is not the life for you they are priced for pretty quick resale.
Old 05-11-2014, 14:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Take a look at Marine Traders. lots of interior and exterior space for a live aboard. The 42' has a step down galley, large aft stateroom, 2 heads with shower over tubs. The engine room is huge and has great access thru the salon sole. Lots of beautiful teak trim and pretty solid except for leaky windows that for some reason plague a lot of Taiwan boats. I think a lot of bang for your buck. If it turns out live aboard is not the life for you they are priced for pretty quick resale.
I have looked at these before, not too bad, but most were trawlers. Only thing I have against trawlers is their cruising speed is pretty slow. We plan on taking some trips to Catalina when we can, just didn't want to spend a ton of time getting there. But thank you for your suggestion. Keep them coming guys. If anybody can tell me about the construction of the taiwanese boats such as the Lien Hwa, please let me know.
Old 05-11-2014, 14:53   #30

leaking windows are a tell tale sign of wood rot. the core of the hosue is plywood and is probabaly rotten as well.

Big engine room that becsdue its singl;e engine and the boat was designed with the option for two engines.

yiou will need plenty of blue p[lasctic tarps to survibve the winter.. this is another tiwan boat.

don't take in someleses problems unless you are prepared to fix them.

the only thing decent that comes out of china are Choy lee's and grand banks and I think they are out of your price range and the grand banks are all wood and unless maintained in a covered shed berth, the older they are the more problems above the waterline you will have.

Viking betram or hatteras.

hire a good surveyor familiar with these boats. there are endemic problems that he should know where to look for

Tags
motor, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: