Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 09:48   #31

Re: Hello Liveabords

Thanks to everyone that contributed (even the one's that made me feel like an idiot). Every piece of feed back helps.

Just so everyone knows, I am not planning on selling my house until a year from now. I do not plan on moving to the Keys until 2019. I have a ton of research to do beforehand...and you all have contributed mightily to that endeavor already. Thank You.

Based on your suggestions I have moved on from the Gibson. The only reason I chose the Gibson was its affordability and livability. We are talking about a huge transition here, and I thought a houseboat would ease the pain. Thankfully, your help has lead me to avoiding a monstrous mistake. Again...thank you.

I also think it makes sense to have a vehicle now. The expense would be minimal and well worth it in the event of a hurricane. I can also see it being useful for trips to the grocery store, Home Depot, etc.

While looking at trawlers, I did run across Cruisers Yachts. I really like this one in Baltimore:

2004 Cruisers Yachts 400 Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Am I getting closer?

Thank again for all of the help...you guys have already taught me so much.

Ken
kendaukcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 10:32   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Thumbs up Re: Hello Liveabords

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendaukcat View Post
Thanks to everyone that contributed (even the one's that made me feel like an idiot). Every piece of feed back helps.

Just so everyone knows, I am not planning on selling my house until a year from now. I do not plan on moving to the Keys until 2019. I have a ton of research to do beforehand...and you all have contributed mightily to that endeavor already. Thank You.

Based on your suggestions I have moved on from the Gibson. The only reason I chose the Gibson was its affordability and livability. We are talking about a huge transition here, and I thought a houseboat would ease the pain. Thankfully, your help has lead me to avoiding a monstrous mistake. Again...thank you.

I also think it makes sense to have a vehicle now. The expense would be minimal and well worth it in the event of a hurricane. I can also see it being useful for trips to the grocery store, Home Depot, etc.

While looking at trawlers, I did run across Cruisers Yachts. I really like this one in Baltimore:

2004 Cruisers Yachts 400 Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Am I getting closer?

Thank again for all of the help...you guys have already taught me so much.

Ken
You're getting warmer...

Since you have zeroed in on this one, go see it in person. Sit down, move around, lay down, tour the engine room and ask questions, stand in the shower. Sit on the throne. Get used to the way it feels to be on a boat, and consider whether you would be comfortable in her.

Diesel would be better. Gasoline can be satisfactory for many folks especially if they aren't taking the boat out all the time and seldom cruise. There are safety considerations to be aware of, but its not a Russian Roulette kind of thing as long as you follow accepted and Norman practices.

The boat to me is more of an express cruiser than a trawler. Range could be an issue. Trawlers are made to run economically and to make at least mid range ocean voyages. This boat is more concerned with going fast than going far or cheap. As you shop around you will become more better acquainted with different boat types and characteristics, and develop a better idea of what suits you.
Old 27-04-2017, 10:44   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Take a vacation, go down to KY, talk to the people that live there, figure out how they get by.
One thing that you will find is the vast majority of people you talk to have been there for less than 6 months, most in truth are not getting by really. Nice people, they have done nothing wrong, but you don't want to emulate them.

Look hard, find the people that have been there for more than three years, buy them a beer and pick their brain, after you have met several, been to where they live after becoming friends, then you and the wife can have a serious discussion about how.

Now its just a dream, and this if fine, nothing at all wrong about dreams, we all have them, normal people do. To a great extent its what gets me up in the morning and makes me go to work ( for one more month )

Oh, BTW Garrison Bight marina if that is its proper name is full of house boats, floating houses really, but I bet they go for stupid prices, but they are there
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 12:04   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote