Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 15:33   #1

Hello, I Need an Answer or Two

ok im a truck driver living in my truck looking to buy my new home by the end of this coming summer im looking for a 30 to 35 footer the question is a 35 footer easy to single hand sail. if you have suggestions on make and model that would be great I will be a livaboard that is gonna sail my lady around the Caribbean and such and do you have to pay to anchore everywhere in the Caribbean oh im a total noob ive read some blogs about how some people did it but they never say what kind of day labor they where doing some insight on that would be nice thanks
truckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:16   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: hello i need a answer or two

if you know what you doing and the boat is setup correctly, then yes a 35' boat is easy to single hand

but I have a feeling you need to do a lot more research before any answers are really helpful
Old 06-02-2014, 16:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerbob View Post
ok im a truck driver living in my truck looking to buy my new home by the end of this coming summer im looking for a 30 to 35 footer the question is a 35 footer easy to single hand sail. if you have suggestions on make and model that would be great I will be a livaboard that is gonna sail my lady around the Caribbean and such and do you have to pay to anchore everywhere in the Caribbean oh im a total noob ive read some blogs about how some people did it but they never say what kind of day labor they where doing some insight on that would be nice thanks
30-35 is perfect for a couple IMHO. Easy to sail alone, but big enough for two to live on. If you want more make/model recommendations you need to provide a budget and an indication if you prefer a "classic" or something newish.

I highly recommend this book to start with: The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising: Beth Leonard: 9780071437653: Amazon.com: Books

Tells you everything you need to know to get started down the road.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Set up properly and with the appropriate experience, it's quite easy to single hand a 40-50' boat. 30-35' is no problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:47   #5

Boat: Hudson Force 50

30 - 35 is easy to single hand. I single hand a Hudson Force 50. The best friend for a singlehander is the autopilot. If you have that, life is good. Know how to use it and know how to fix it. Have spare parts. If you are doing a long passage solo and auto dies, you will not have any rest and you will not have any fun.

The Witchdoctor.
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:55   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch

A 35' boat is pretty easy to singlehand especially once it's setup properly. Many people singlehand much larger boats. Some sort of self steering (autopilot) will most likely become your best friend though.

As for the other questions, I'll leave that up to people with more experience in those areas.
Old 06-02-2014, 17:06   #7

ok thanx im looking at around 30-35 thousand im kinda drawn to the sloop I like the pearson make
Old 06-02-2014, 17:06   #8

Boat: Beneteau 323

I think it depends.

We have the single handers package on our 34' boat but a lot of things would be difficult by myself. We singlehand our watches but two people makes reefing, raising the hanked on staysail, docking and anchoring much easier.

To singlehand larger boats you need a lot of extra systems, the failure of any can make the boat difficult to handle.

In general, the smaller the boat the easier to singlehand. But the smaller the boat the harder it is to get your girl in board.

I agree with Raindog 30 to 35 is great for a couple but it really helps if both people can work as s team. Both Raindog and I have salty lady partners. If you could see my wife working the foredeck in rough weather or scaling the mast to change a bulb you would understand.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 17:10   #9

so around a 30 is better for me then less systems to break
Old 06-02-2014, 17:16   #10

is it true you need cruising permits for the cairibbean
Old 06-02-2014, 17:18   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I'm not afraid to make a suggestion ) ... 36ft Catalina.
Old 06-02-2014, 17:22   #12

Pearson 365 is a popular boat. It has a walk-in shower, which is unusual on a boat its size/age. Might be a little over your price range however.
Old 06-02-2014, 17:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerbob View Post
is it true you need cruising permits for the cairibbean
Go to: Countries — Noonsite and the select the country you want to visit. On the country page look for "fees" on the menu on the far left of the screen. This will give you the costs for each country.
Old 06-02-2014, 17:37   #14

ok thanx raindog
Old 06-02-2014, 17:39   #15

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

As a former trucker myself, also known as trucker Bob, welcome and do it! We now own a 30' S-2 center cockpit. This will be the boat we do our adventures on. Good size,handle-ability, small enough not to bust the bank. Bought ours for $18,000. Insurance very work-able, cheaper to berth if you want a few nights in a marina,etc. looked at around 40-50 boats, but kept going back to the S-2. Works for us, may not for you. We both did not like the aft cockpit, the quarter berths among many things. There is more room in the aft cockpit, but lay-out and since only the2 of us, what all do we need? Like I said, may not work for you. Looked at a very nice freedom 32'. That was third, second choice was a 32' Beneteau. Really liked that one, but $55,000 was outside my bankroll. Big bucks don't buy the best,IMO. No permit needed that I have found out about. We leave this summer for the same area as you are looking. If all goes as hoped and planned. Look for Eclipse. Best to you. By the way, 19 yrs trucking,2.78 million miles. What a hell of a ride it was,too.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote