Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 11:23   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Heads: I lose!

I converted my PHII's to fresh water flush, and have never been happier.
The manual pump is a diaphragm pump that only pumps out the bowl, pressurized fresh water fills it, so the pump moves a lot with each stroke and is easy to pump.
Getting rid of the salt water eliminated any smells, it's just like a land based toilet now smell wise.
I don't understand electric flush toilets, seems complicated, complicated means maintenance
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 11:26   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...my macerator (impeller) pump is above the holding tank and has only been replaced once in 15 years...
I have the pump above the tank, and had it that way on my last boat. I found out the hard way that there are macerators which are rated for suction, and some that are not. I don't know if it's the make or the model, but one sold under the West Marine brand couldn't pull a prime, and the Jabsco pump that replaced it works great.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 12:41   #18

Boat: DeFever 58

The installation is new and should work. The macerater is close to the head outlet and beneath to stay wet. The pipes are new, the 20A pump is switched through a 40A relay. It's a simple installation. The macerater is expected to create the vacuum for the lavac which is required to keep the pump primed with water. The minute it gets dry it does not have the power to reprime itself. I think a diaphragm pump is the go
Fizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 23:05   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

I had a Lavac on my previous boat. Other than routine replacement of the seals, the diaphragm, and the valves I never, ever had an issue in over ten years. It would pump paper without an issue. I fitted a Lavac to my current boat and have been equally happy with the performance. Manual pump to a holding tank mounted above the toilet and gravity feed to the sea. Keep it simple.....

If the gods smile then you might just achieve the right balance of height above/below the waterline of the bowl, position of the pump, height of the hose and size of the air inlet drilled into the top of the inlet hose that makes it all work like a treat and without excessive effort. Mine takes 8 strokes to flush, wait about a minute to let the vacuum drop away, lift the lid and a further four strokes to empty.

I've had the joys of dismantling a Jabsco style pump, chartered yachts with electric pumps, had all sorts of unpleasant experiences with leaks and dodgy seals. As far as I'm concerned my Lavac keeps me safely separate from the smelly water. My next boat will have one.

In the Med you don't need a macerator so that's one less complication.
twohapence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 23:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
try to get her to put the paper into a bag just like travelling in mexico.......that will solve 99.999 percent of your issues with the head. have fun.

issues i have experienced with the simple manual jabsco head i still use, and which has been in use for over 14 years, now, successfully, have been 100 percent related to folks shoving paper down and having it become papier mache in the hoses.
100% right

The other .00001% would be calcium build up from pee. It really makes no difference what so ever on the system, Patty has lots of reccomendations on the better brands that are more reliable. At the end of the day though eliminating paper will take the majority of the headache away. Treating the system regularly will take the other away. You have to start with clean equipment and plumbing and either regularly treat with a bacteria based cleaner if you have a MSD or just tank and with a acid based cleaner if you are using a sodium chloride treatment. Once a week small doses and stuff stays clean. With a bacteria based cleaning regime its very important you never put bleach or anything like it in the head on a regular basis as you will kill all the bacteria and create sludge which will harden just like the pee buildups. We have a vacuum based system with around 50 heads with a crew of 120 that I have to maintain, or make people maintain, and it's no different than at home. I do not like working on either and when there is a problem its almost always related to paper or build up from missed treatments.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 05:21   #21

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
yet when you quoted me you just ignored that part where I say my macerator (impeller) pump is above the holding tank and has only been replaced once in 15 years

It could also just be that the OP runs the pump too long after the tank is empty
Have you Lavac? He must run the pump empty with Lavac to create a vacuum
Lavac Marine Toilets - Frequently Asked Questions
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
head