Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 19:28   #1

Heading to Washington DC area & need advice on liveaboards

Hello! I am a Marine about to transfer from Monterey, CA, to Quantico, VA (near Washington DC). This is my last tour in the military before I retire and I would like to transition to life "off the hard." Unfortunately though, I have no knowledge of how to purchase/rent a boat for liveaboard, or how to find a marina that supports this lifestyle. Is there anyone who can aid me in this process and steer me in the right direction for gathering information?

Thank you!

Trey
Raider08tmhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Heading to Washington DC area & need advice on liveaboards

To familiarize yourself with the liveaboard lifestyle, you might start by reading Liveaboard magazine, which is available online. They also have a forum (like this one) that has a lot of good information.

Once you get to Virginia, you might want to check out the marinas near Occoquan. There are three there, but I don't know if any allow liveaboards. But if so, just start walking the docks and talk to people. Liveaboards tend to be a friendly bunch.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33   #3

There are a couple marinas in downtown DC (off Maine Ave) Gangplank is one that allow livaboards
Dcamp9709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53   #4

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

There's a large marina in Woodbridge, VA just a few miles from Quantico where you can explore the boating world.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393
I don't think the marinas near Woodbridge or the Occoquan are live aboard friendly, plus I'm pretty sure they regularly freeze up for a good part of most winters ( but not this one).

If you are looking at more of a local cruising type experience I would recommend a marina in the bay. I work downtown and the commute is similar to when I lived in Stafford in my pre-live aboard days. If you just want a floating condo then I'd get as close to dc as possible- such as Gangplank. You might want to check on wait times for slip availability, and check on how the locals get through winter.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50   #6

Go to yachworld.com and search boats for sale in the area. This will lead you to some marinas, etc. Some have transferable slip rental. It will probably be tough to find the boat you want in the place you want. Not a big issue since boats can move Check out marinas around Annapolis MD as well. With the naval academy there, living on boats is pretty common. The number of liveaboards there is tremendous--and many for sale. Always employ your own surveyor and ask about Captain Training for your new boat (offered by many marinas free of charge with purchase). A good way to get to know your new home. Walk some docks and talk to as many people as you can.
Philipclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36   #7

When we sailed up the Potomac, we unknowningly turned into MCB Quantico Marina for some diesel. They were very nice, but turned us away. Now we know what MCB stands for.

In any case, there were quite a few boats, and some looked lived in. Maybe worth checking it out.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393

No bases I know of allow liveaboards (officially). Too bad because they have some fantastic rates if you can get past the very long typical wait lists...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 13:03   #9

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Deltaville is not too far away from Quantico. Kinsale and up the Potomac has many marinas.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 13:25   #10

Boat: 20' Montego

There are some livaeabords at Cobb Island MD and Colonial Beach VA. Those are the closest to Quantico I can think of, about sixty miles. Deltaville and Kinsale would be a longer drive than Annapolis to Quantico. I-95 to DC is the most congested highway in the U.S. I'd see if there are "sneak aboards" at rthe Quantico marina. It's sorta separate from the base.
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Welcome Aboard Marine.Liveing aboard is great as long as you like the neighborhood,most boat people are friendly and go out of there way to help one another,while still respecting privicy.Sail or Power,plan on crusing or just a base of operations,full retirement or second carrear?Best you go to the populated boat areas Annapolis and south along the bay lot's of Marina's.Go online search them out.More info is needed to help you with a boat purchase,When you decided what you want go online search this forum more info here than you'll need.PM me if you want
Semper FI
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:16   #12

Let's start a former Marine cruising thread Semper Fi
Dcamp9709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:54   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

O Rah,I am in
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:26   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

If you can go down the Potomac River to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay you'll find lots of places to live aboard. Our boat is at Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina in Lottsburg, Va. We have several liveaboards, its very cheap and you have access to the whole Bay for sailing.
Old 11-03-2012, 17:57   #15

I knew Marines that were living at Quantico Marina, when I was stationed there. Pretty nice deal.
Carrierjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Washington DC