Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 15:38   #46

Re: HAS ANYONE THOUGHT OF CREATING A PROTECTED MARINA IN THE OCEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Even assuming you could build one of these power plants, that as of yet have never even gotten close to economically viable. How in gods name are you going to bring that power from the middle of the Atlantic back to shore to sell?

Now you might, and it would be a long shot, but I could envision this working somehow. Be able to convince me that laying an underwater power cable across the Atlantic so that America and Europe could interview their grid would have some economic value, and that value could be realized by this thing... But it would probably better be served by a dedicated line and let this goofy idea sink next to it.

LiFePO4 bank in the ferry?
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:15   #47

Re: Has Anyone Thought of Creating a Protected Marina in the Ocean?

How about a floating bag of seawater that reaches deep enough to set in water with minimal wave movement. I understand this depth to be about the wavelength. This could be constructed similar to a boat tow toy, obviously bigger and stronger. A second chamber could be above water filled with air as a wave break. Anchors to hold it in place. I would think a longer narrow shape would allow the waves any wind to break around. It would need to swing with the current.
eieblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:25   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

I have thought about a floating marina mid Atlantic, to host ARC boats. But I failed to secure funding. I suck at PR big way, a fact.

Still, I think the idea is valid and the business plan seemed to hold up. I think it is worth another shot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OK, here's an outside the box idea......how's about we REDUCE THE POPULATION?

By a lot!

How many problems would that address?

So simple to say. So "interesting" to contemplate!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:56   #50

Interesting take on funding bold ideas today and in Columbus' time.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chris...-funding-kroko
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:05   #51

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Interesting take on funding bold ideas today and in Columbus' time.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chris...-funding-kroko
Chris sailed on the taxpayer's dime.
No requirement for logic or need for "private" VCap.
You just have to know the right people

Cheers/ Len
Old 27-03-2016, 19:30   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
THERE ARE FEW PLACES TO LIVE ABOARD...BUT HAS ANYONE EVER THOUGHT OF CREATING A FLOATING MARINA WITH A SURGE FENCE TO CALM THE WAVE ACTION 3 MILES OFF SHORE?

OK so it's a la Waterworld.... but if you drilling platforms do it...why not have live aboard platforms with ferry service to a port for shopping? It could be protected from bad weather. It could be easily accessible... it could be open to NON-PUMPOUT people. It could be a TOWN!..... The problem is depth and ground tackle. BUT if you had enough people...it could work financially...especially with fast ferry service.... and think of the fresh air and clean water...

Remember 3/4 of this planet is water.
Don't inject economic reality in this thread. Just pretend you are brainstorming for the govt

In their time,who would have thought possible the Great Wall,Panama Canal,Moon Landing,etc. ?

OP needs a design. He didn't mention $$. Perhaps he is one of the 1%.

Back to floating ideas: https://www.google.ca/search?q=salmo...t143TTJLWjM%3A
Old 27-03-2016, 19:46   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Chris sailed on the taxpayer's dime.
No requirement for logic or need for "private" VCap.
You just have to know the right people

Cheers/ Len
Not true. The Spanish Crown put up, I believe, just 10% of its own money. The rest was put up by private syndicators and bankers. Basically the Crown acted as a psychological assurance and legal protector of future finds.

But the whole idea of that article was that many others (Portugal, France, England, Netherlands, Genoa and Venice Republics, etc.) have turned Columbus down, for the same reasons that today's many breakthrough ideas are turned down - lack of vision masquerading as financial prudence.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:47   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
LiFePO4 bank in the ferry?
What in the world have you been smokin'?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 20:10   #55

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Even assuming you could build one of these power plants, that as of yet have never even gotten close to economically viable. How in gods name are you going to bring that power from the middle of the Atlantic back to shore to sell?
Hydrogen?
And there would be other economically productive aspects. Pumping that much nutrient-rich cold water to the surface would cause an algae bloom and a massive increase in all the sea life that feeds on the algae - in exactly the way that natural upwellings create productive fishing grounds. A man-made Monterey Bay.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 20:10   #56

Quote:
Not true. The Spanish Crown put up, I believe, just 10% of its own money. The rest was put up by private syndicators and bankers. Basically the Crown acted as a psychological assurance and legal protector of future finds.

But the whole idea of that article was that many others (Portugal, France, England, Netherlands, Genoa and Venice Republics, etc.) have turned Columbus down, for the same reasons that today's many breakthrough ideas are turned down - lack of vision masquerading as financial prudence.
I did not know that! Thank you
Old 27-03-2016, 20:16   #57

I am in on the reduce the population idea. I often wonder how many others would choose it. In a given area how many would say we have enough people here knowing they would be giving up the economic advantages due to growth.
eieblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 20:35   #58

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Gary... I don't buy it for even a second... if that rig is touching the sea floor... you have land to attach to... if it is abandoned and there is no one there... it is ZERO DOLLARS per day! This isn't rocket science... there will be 100's of abandoned oil rigs in the future just in the Gulf of Mexico. I had a friend who passed away who operated a standup oil rig supply vessel. He would just drop the stilts raise the vessel and become a stilt home in the ocean besides supplying the oil rig.... there are ways....

3/4's of the planet is ocean.... soon to be 10 billion people....

think out of the box...

guy

If anyone figures it out contact me....I'm in...

i think you have a few very different issues in this thread.

first, i think those hotels are really cool. right out of my dad's old popular science magazines; the ones i read when i was a kid. however...

i have no doubt that they are high dollar rooms for rent.

secondly, one of those as a sailor's marina/getaway in the sea would be cool...but, outrageously expensive. only the top financial elite among us could afford to use one. i'm talking the guys that go out and buy a brand new shipman 80.

the large majority of us sailing good old boats could only afford to sail by and look at how the other side lives.

it's a great fantasy but, even were one built or an old oil rig converted to one, it would be decades before anything like that would be in the price range of the average sailor.

besides, from what i have read, most of us are cheap (read: not rich and looking for a bargain) compared to stink potters.

it's a great idea but, i don't think you should hold your breath waiting for it.

so that's two issues, as i see it; on the water motels and on the water marinas (more like resort marinas).

the other issue, and it's a serious one, is overpopulation. you are right. human population growth is reaching a terminal level. it's predicted, at the present rate of growth, we will reach the point where the earth will no longer be able to support us in the next 30 years.

all this talk of pollution and human environmental impact that you hear always avoids the real cause of the problem. it's not fossil fuels. it's overpopulation. they never talk about that. as my old boss (when i was doing lawncare...a lawn dr type business not mowing) used to say," the solution to pollution is dilution."

to wit: if i give you a shot glass of poison, it will kill you. if i take that poison and dump it into 1000 gallons of clean water, i can give you a whole glass of it to drink and you won't even notice it. when there was a reasonable number of us on the planet, our impact was easily countered by the earth's natural processes. now, that we have populated to such extremes, our impact has become unmanageable for the planet. how much more so in 30 years?

but, ocean marinas won't do a thing to help that. the biggest problems won't be housing. it will be food production, energy sources, pollution, waste management, potable drinking water. just building housing in the sea won't fix any of those things.

just the food issue, alone, is huge. as it is, we have devastated marine populations by our harvesting food from the sea. more and more land converted into housing and business means less land for farming, especially livestock; which takes a lot of space and resources. scientists are now talking about the possibility of relying on insects for food. there is a good ted talks episode about that on netflix.

a much simpler and more effective solution to overpopulation is for people to stop reproducing in such numbers. but, for such a smart animal, humans are total idiots in some areas. you will never convince the largest portion of the earth's population to slow down having children. what's funny is that, for a lot of those people, religious beliefs would be the thing that would make the oppose such an idea.

but, it's ok. the earth usually takes care of things when a species gets overpopulated. starvation, disease, and other lovely natural processes usually take care of the issue. we aren't above nature. we just think we are. if we don't take care of the problem, eventually the earth will.

but it is a fun idea. living on your own little marina/island like the pirates of the Caribbean...who wouldn't love that? and marinas across the ocean would make passage making as easy as coastal hopping.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 20:58   #59

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
I believe OP's main argument for such a man made structure is extra territoriality it would confer, which no cruise ship has to my knowledge. But as stated earlier, most nations would be up in arms about such community, especially if it is built by and for the benefit of "free spirits". Look at GB fighting that Sealand guy all those years even though their own courts have upheld his right to be there under the then existing laws. IMO they were harassing him more as an example to others similarly minded than for any other purpose.
that is so true. the only thing governments hate more than free spirits is free thinkers. a free thinking free spirit? the bloody anti-christ!
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 20:59   #60
cruiser

To the over obsessed over population crowd:

If you built a modern type city four stories high, the entire population of the earth would only encompass an area the size of Texas. We are hardly anywhere near some sort of terminal population number.

If you're truly worried about over population, and want to do something.... by all means, be the first to step forward and depopulate.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot