Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51   #1

Harbor rules: Remove boat for hurricane?

Third post today:

So, I just read an agreement for a marina in Texas. If there is a hurricane watch or warning, I would be required to remove my boat from the water and store it offsite. Is this normal? How does one do this for a 40' boat? Is there insurance for something like this?
Quadrider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Harbor rules: Remove boat for hurricane?

Best bet is probably to ask the marina and a couple of their customers, what is done locally.

Some insurers will pay for a hurricane haul, if it is a named storm and the haul is inside of 48 hours...which another post mentions can be impossible because in their case, their yard starts the "haul list" about four days out and at 48 hours, you can get on the list but you're unlikely to be hauled. Catch-22.

Which is why asking some other customers what has been done, whether there's a place you can move the boat to, etc. counts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:11   #3

Yes, I've seen that note before in Florida. Not sure the practicalities though. It's probably a CYA statement so if the 'cane throws boats around, when they get sued, they sue you.... etc etc.
OTOH... what are they going to do if you just dont move it/stay away when the cane hits...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:17   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The moving is probably a liability matter, i.e. if you are contractually responsible for moving the boat out, you'd be liable for the damage it causes when you fail to do that and a storm hits. Although there could well be state laws that override that, dunno.

Like the flip side of what Tolkein said about wizards, there's never one around when you need one. (Need a marina? No, you can't have one.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

That statement is not uncommon here. Sounds like Corpus Christi City Marina. There is no real expectation that tenants would do this.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 13:04   #6

I just spoke with Kemah Boardwalk Marina and Seabrook Marina. They said I could leave it in. They just have specific ways to tie up your boat during a hurricane.
Old 08-01-2015, 13:23   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Were in a Texas marina without this requirement, and our previous Texas marina didn't have this requirement. Where in Texas are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 13:27   #8

I am not in Texas yet, but it was a marina by Kemah. I actually read the small print.
Old 08-01-2015, 13:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yep, my Marina has the exact same statement, but I have also been told that they can't make you leave, it's a CYA thing, if your damaged or cause damage, you were not supposed to be there, so they are clear. Otherwise they could be held liable possibly.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 13:47   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quadrider,

In Australia, some marinas banish the boats during named storms or anticipated floods (which can both come together).

In New Caledonia, the marinas will require you to have insurance in case you damage the marina. They have chains on the bottom and the boats are actually tied up from the chain and pulled a bit out of the slip, so they can't bash into the docks.

So yes, having to get your boat out of where you thought it would be safe, can happen.
As suggested above, find out what the local practice is. On the east coast of Oz, people take their boats up into mangrove rivers and swamps to be safe. The locals will know. If you will be located too far away to move your boat, then you'll need a marina that allows it to stay. And you need to give a lot of thought to preventing chafe on your lines, having additional line, chafe protected, for backup, etc.

Many insurances do not cover you for named storms.

Ann
Old 09-01-2015, 13:31   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A common requirement. Personally I think anyone who would leave a boat tied to a dock in a hurricane is nuts!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:41   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
A common requirement. Personally I think anyone who would leave a boat tied to a dock in a hurricane is nuts!
Yep, nuts! You never know though. Sometimes the boats left in the water fare well while the ones hauled out are damaged. And sometimes it's the other way around.

My marina lease requires the boat to be moved in a hurricane. It can't be left in the slip. My hurricane plan has them hauling it and storing it inside the dry stack building. Boats too big for the marina's equipment have to go somewhere else.

Can they enforce this clause? Well, they can terminate the lease if you violate it so I would say "yes", they can enforce it.
Old 09-01-2015, 13:44   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Huh....we shopped for our marina based on hurricane protection. We're protected from the wind, waves, and the docks will float much higher than any imaginable surge. Besides, there aren't too many places to go and hide the boat around here (that draft will allow us entry to).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:52   #14

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
So where does one go? Motoring at 6kts for 48 hours gets you a range of what...300 nm? So Galveston or Mobile or New Orleans or Miami to where?

Or is it assumed that a sailboat can successfully ride out a hurricane in open water?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider77 View Post
I just spoke with Kemah Boardwalk Marina and Seabrook Marina. They said I could leave it in. They just have specific ways to tie up your boat during a hurricane.
Get that in writing or it's worth the paper it isn't written on. Of course, if it gets back to the marina insurance that they are telling people to ignore the rule, they could be in for a world of hurt if the insurance company decides they were allowing boats to stay intentionally and that undermines the marina insurance going after the boat owners insurance.

Might want to run it by your insurance to see if it impacts your coverage having it someplace that it isn't supposed to be.

Yes, it's mostly a liability issue but ignoring it largely relies on everyone playing dumb and sticking to the official story line.

A 10 ton boat bouncing thru a marina can cause a lot of damage, so they want the option to go after your insurance for the cost if you don't remove it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, rule