Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 14:10   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Harbor rules: Remove boat for hurricane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
So where does one go? Motoring at 6kts for 48 hours gets you a range of what...300 nm? So Galveston or Mobile or New Orleans or Miami to where?

Or is it assumed that a sailboat can successfully ride out a hurricane in open water?
Why do you think that matters? The marina has to protect itself to stay in business. Finding a place for your boat is your problem.

Something you should plan on well in advance of any hurricane.
Old 09-01-2015, 14:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Location, location, location! I am presently at a marina that I would never remain at during a tropical storm, but I've been at other places that would be very safe. I agree that the policy to move written in the contract is a liability ploy. Insurance companies that I have talked to allow you to stay or move with your judgement of your safety and the safety of the boat.

We have often decided to move to an inland anchorage during a hurricane threat. If there's any threat within three days of a potential hit, we are taking action and making a plan!
Old 09-01-2015, 14:16   #18
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Some boats survived Hurricane Ike in their slips, but many not so lucky. Mine was one of two boats that survived at Bayland Marina in Baytown. I've been to a couple of yards, and don't recall a means for tying down boats on the hard. Maybe I'm wrong? No way I'd leave my boat just on stands.

We actually returned to Texas this year for Hurricane Season. Since we live on our boat, our plan was to run. We even checked for lock openings and bridge openings beforehand, to be prepared.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hurr...ml%3B600%3B400

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:23   #19

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why do you think that matters? The marina has to protect itself to stay in business. Finding a place for your boat is your problem.

I'm just curious because this isn't a problem in So. California. Personally I've never sailed in conditions stronger than a gale so I'm wondering how people handle this and whether sailing out into a hurricane is a viable option or whether they have an alternative safe harbor in mind they can motor to in advance of storm warnings.

Granted my only frame of reference is what I see in movies, but the prospect of being on a sailboat in 90mph winds and 50 foot waves is terrifying.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'

This is true we just moved our boat from Ca. to gulf coast and every marina we checked with you must move boat out of marina to what they call an up river hurricane party. This is where all boats anchor ot tie up to trees on shore and ride out the storm. This is what i thought was odd in La. they want you to have full coverage but you can't stay if a storm is predicted to hit within 48hrs. if you're not there to move your boat you will be charged for someone to tow it out of the marina.Sorry but they said "it is what it is"
dandkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:57   #21
RTB

Quote:
Not very helpful (or nice).....

Ralph
Old 09-01-2015, 15:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:

The solution to your problem should never be taking risks by moving your boat in the face of a tropical storm. The policy of the marina is to remove their liability, but they are not able to legally cause you to move your boat into peril at the risk of your personal safety.
Moving your boat always remains your choice!
Old 09-01-2015, 15:11   #23
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I'm just curious because this isn't a problem in So. California. Personally I've never sailed in conditions stronger than a gale so I'm wondering how people handle this and whether sailing out into a hurricane is a viable option or whether they have an alternative safe harbor in mind they can motor to in advance of storm warnings.
For us, being on the boat 24/7 and no other commitments, we can run the ICW towards Louisiana, or south as far as Port Isabel. Hopefully, it would not be too bad 150-200 miles away from the eye. Maybe still deal with 40-50 MPH winds and possible thunderstorms, but way better than 100+MPH winds. We'd try to run on the weak side of the storm, and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, many of the thousands upon thousands of boats in the Kemah/Clear Lake area, are owned by people from out of town. Those are the ones that will get hurt very likely. Many won't be tied off properly, and likely not stripped down for the storm.

Ralph
Old 09-01-2015, 15:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
...Many won't be tied off properly, and likely not stripped down for the storm.
Which in and of itself IS a very good reason to plan to move your boat!

This could be anywhere from a problem to a dilemma to a life-threatening issue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:20   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We usually leave before a hit and at a time when a tropical storm has potential to reach us in three days. We can do this because we are free from other family, business, employment or ownership of anything ashore that needs protection.

We seek a location that has the following features:
1- Inland
2- Little fetch
3- Good holding
4- Shallow depth
5- Mud or sand banks,- no rock or cement bulkheads
6- High surrounding topography
7- Little debris,- loose logs and things that can become airborne missles
8- Few neighboring boats

We don't always find all eight criteria, but we can get the first four or five!
Old 09-01-2015, 15:24   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Best Hurricane hole where I'm at is also where the abandoned / derelict boats are, so I'm not so sure I would want there, I don't have an iron clad plan myself, have been considering options. A lot depends on how big is the storm?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:32   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
............... I don't have an iron clad plan myself .....................
It can't be smart to have an "Iron clad" plan!

You must judge the nature of the storm, your location, your ability to move to a new place, the suitability of the new choice............

We have stayed in suitable marinas at 110 mph winds and we have anchored out in Class I hurricanes and numerous tropical storms. It may be a mistake to have a plan that is not flexible.
Old 09-01-2015, 15:42   #28
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Best Hurricane hole where I'm at is also where the abandoned / derelict boats are, so I'm not so sure I would want there, I don't have an iron clad plan myself, have been considering options.
I'm sure Hudson Force knows all the "hidey holes" since he's been cruising the east coast for about a hundred years.....problem is, getting him to share where they are!

Ralph
Old 09-01-2015, 16:02   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not much replaces, been there, done that, got the T shirt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 17:29   #30

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider77 View Post
I just spoke with Kemah Boardwalk Marina and Seabrook Marina. They said I could leave it in. They just have specific ways to tie up your boat during a hurricane.

Seabrook does permit (and prefer) boats to be left in the floating slips - partly due to the position of seabrook shipyard where you'd naturally haul out.. a surge would knock a boat clean off its stands!

Waterford Harbor is about the best protected hurricane hole around clearlake. The marina is protected by the abnormally high embankment of Waterford Oaks and it mostly closed off to wave action. During Ike it fair the best out of all of the other marinas in the area. Bear in mind, during a surge,the natural flood stream path is on the north side of clearlake - Seabrook and Kemah get washed over but Waterford is on the south side. Seabrook upgraded its docks to floating after the fixed concrete ones were mostly demolished during Ike.

Tags
hurricane, rule