Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 13:28   #91
cruiser

Re: Harbor Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Let me start by saying I am a Canadian expat living here in the US for decades. Your assessment of the US is typical of many outsiders and basically boogie-man thinking. I loved the beauty of Canada but detested the constant run-around I received from the government agencies up there. I knew at an early age, I was not going to get anywhere in life. I came down here with nothing and built a great life for myself. Through hard work, playing by the rules and allowed to be free to do my own thing, afforded me a lifestyle I only dreamed of in Canada. I still go up there to visit my friends who had never made it out of the steel mills and grateful each time I made the decisions I did.
As far as the OP...again it is boogie-man thinking. Check out this Youtube video and see how our so called militaristic nazis really help people.
Another question I'd like to pose is how many here that seem to find fault with authority, do community service work? really...I'd like to know. I have and in doing so, seen the other side of law enforcement...the human side.
You can spend a life-time seeing the glass half empty or...
your comments about not being able to achieve what you think you could/should in Canada seems like it is impossible for anyone to achieve anything in Canada... I see the other side... there are plenty of folks who have achieved great success in Canada, and have gotten wonderful lives there...

I also see folks stuck here in the US, still working in factories, and not being able to get a leg up on life...

the ability to get ahead is a personal issue, mostly...

you can choose where you think you can get the best chance, and I may agree that the US is better then Canada for that, but I dont know about Canada, except that I know some folks have done well... just like here...

the gov't runaround is not unique to Canada...
Old 04-07-2012, 13:31   #92

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There was a time ya could get Away from all of those things ya dislike or even distain!! But Im afraid those days are gone forever!! Connie and I saw some of those days but now it's a different world, all conected by computers!! Ya ck out ya ck in and if ya mess up ya need a hell of a good reason !!! Ya need your paper work and that don't mean Dollars any more(well a couple of places LOL) so if ya want the freedom of the seas, don't anchor or go to marinas LOL just keep sailin cus thats as close to freedom your ever gona get !!! Just my 2 cents and we are goning back for more soon !!!
Old 04-07-2012, 13:34   #93
cruiser

Re: Harbor nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
But you really SHOULD have a proper throwable. A life vest floats, no doubt, but if your sailing companion was injured in the fall off the boat, he or she may not be able to put it on. I like the horseshoe myself as there are several ways to hang on to it securely. In addition I can tie it to the boat, so if the "soggy one" grabs it, I can secure them to the boat and start rescue immediately. I have a long line tied to it, coiled and ready for instant release. I also have throwable cushions, which throw much better than most life vests.

I think not having something like this clearly visible on the outside of your boat might invite a safety inspection. Just sayin' ...
if the soggy one cant put the vest on, then he can hang onto it just like the stupid small square ones... and I have plenty of life jackets to throw, One for each person that didnt fall into the water...

I agree, I like the horseshoe type... but the laws allow for the small square type, aas long as it is approved by uscg...

not having something on the back of my boat, shouldnt "INVITE" anything... unless that is the requirement...

and yes, I dont want other folks, or my own poop on my hull... but, then again, I dont want anyone elses poop on my sidewalk or in my yard, but cops or other agents arent allowed to come onto my property to inspect my plumbing...... why are boats different?

especially when it is legal for folks to pee and poop in the water at the beach? or boaters to poop into a bucket and toss it over board?

it isnt a req't to have a crapper/msd onboard, so they dont have a wye valve, just a stinky brown bucket.. but that is ok?!?
Old 04-07-2012, 13:37   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

So, we enlist the services of the local USCG retired, CG Aux, to conduct a gratus annual inspection. At the successful end, we get a sticker to apply to the outside of the vessel. So far, no boardings or inspections. We both have masters credentials. I assume that if we additionally don our merchant mariners captains uniforms they might cut us pleanty of slack. We do keep the requisite flairs in date, life jackets, log book, lock outs on Y valves, installed back-up nav lights, etc.
Old 04-07-2012, 13:41   #95

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
Celestialsailor

Did you know that Costa Rica is the safest central american country and it is unconstitutional to have a military. Lots of Ex-Pats who made their money in the states are fleeing to this safe haven to retire after making their money in the US. No point paying back into a system that doesn't work right?
This doesn't gybe with the fact that homes in Costa Rica cannot ever be left unattended. I understand that without anyone on the premise the home is robbed in one or two days. This information is directly from a Costa Rican resident.
Old 04-07-2012, 13:46   #96

Boat: PETERSON 44
Other then my odd encounter being asked to adjust my anchor so that the harbormaster had clear lanes through an anchorage. In context was reminiscent of hitler checking his troops. I have never had a boarding or bad experience. Some odd encounters mostly there inability to lend assistance. One boat on dragging through an anchorage. They tried to figure out who owned it. It would have been easy expedient to deploy and reset or retrieve the boat. Boat on break wall no response. We helped tow it off the harbormaster can not assist. Boat ran over a rhode from another boat. Tangled not anchored boats adrift and the harbormaster cannot add assistance. The harbormaster is there to enforce laws that protect the harbor. Not to protect the harbor. That is a little weird. I am always helping sailors and have had others help me. If I acted with complete caution to liability I wouldn't have helped the dozens of sailors that I have assisted.
Old 04-07-2012, 13:50   #97

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Harbor nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
not having something on the back of my boat, shouldnt "INVITE" anything... unless that is the requirement...
but having one visible is one less reason to be inspected. Lifesling (note white rectangular box hanging from stern rail?) says "I'm complying."

Old 04-07-2012, 13:51   #98

Boat: Lagoon 440

Well the OP admits to a troll.

The OP from the outset based his question on "hearsay" and "rumours"..

The OP never actively questioned and answered, no interest in FACTS was shown.

The OP never intended on changing his RV lifestyle to that of a Cruiser.

The OP is quite smart....

The OP wishes to sell his inheritance, he now sifts through the debate waiting for SOMEONE to inquire.......

Quite funny really!
Old 04-07-2012, 13:54   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

BTW, having a throwable on deck IS a requirement. Most of the bonehead maneuvers we see on a regular basis are by non-credentialed folks who may have graduated to the upsize that throws them into the "over X meter" length where requirements are well defined. Many of these guys are totally dangerous. One on a 38 foot power boat did everything he could to cause a collision with us last week. I managed to avoid him anyway but a flood of angry boating observers hurled the insults for me. I was too busy. The problem was that he didn't have any rudimentary understanding of the rules of the road right down to what 5 blasts of a horn meant. If you are going to drive a boat over the threshhold length, you owe it to yourself to take the class and earn the credentials. You might learn something and it will likely keep you out of trouble.
Old 04-07-2012, 14:12   #100

Without any law I give newbies a run through of what happens if I screw up and allow them
To fall off the side. If your new to boating ask the skipper what you do when in a man overboard situation. I don't need some rookie telling me how to sail safe. Yes I use my holding tank. Because I don't like having tp in my hair when I swim and expect you to practice that habit. A bunch of enforcers should not be needed to maintain us. I think mostly they don't. They are in place because land folk are in fear of what happens out here. Like trying to line us up in a anchorage they desire control. Contrary to independence.
Old 04-07-2012, 15:02   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1984 View Post
As many of you guessed, I'm a troll - Joined this site yesterday. I just inherited a 35' ketch and teetering on the brink of do I want to retire as a full-time live-aboard? I've lived in a log cabin and 3 motorhomes. I'm a straight-to-the-point kind of guy and don't waste time when I have a question. - and - WHEW! - you sure have answered it! Half of you seem to be cut from the same cloth as me - rebellious and independent, and understanding of the question and sympathetic to the situation. The other half of of you seem to be pompous, condescending elitist snobs with some law enforcement types included, who I avoid associating with in any conditions. But I thank you all for helping me with my decision - if THAT'S the way it is - being snuck up on in the night and suddenly awakened by bright lights of the C.G., being handcuffed and warrant-checked for carrying an unopened bottle of wine, for paying a slip fee late, being routinely treated like a criminal, then that's not anything like the freedom that I have in mind. I wish you all happiness in your cruising lives, but as for me, is anyone out there interested in a sailboat project? - 35' fiberglass hull - new Volvo Penta, new sails. been flooded, needs bulkhead, cabin sole work, etc. Some new parts already made - mahogany hatch covers, etc. On a cradle in South Bend, In.
So now you have labeled and categorized every cruiser on the forum as either your kind or the kind you don't accept. Sort of like the Nazis did.

Sorry but I don't think I fit neatly into one of your little pigeonholes. I have been counter culture and anti establishment since the sixties. I have also spent time in countries with little to no law enforcement and a corresponding crime rate. In 40 years of cruising I was pulled over once but not boarded by US Customs once and boarded by Jamaican CG. In both cases they were polite and professional. I do not like or agree with USCG having the right to board my boat which is often my home, without cause or warrant but that doesn't make them Nazis. However, having been in some rather lawless areas where your life and safety were exclusively your own responsibility (back when I was young, single and more foolhardy) I will choose a little law and order. In my experience that law and order is very rarely administered in a heavy handed fashion and when it is, it is usually when you ask for it.

Hope you enjoy your log cabin and RV.
Old 04-07-2012, 15:47   #102

Let's face it, the last decade or so has witnessed the rise of "Fascism" in the United States and elsewhere, brought about in part by 9/11 and international terrorism. This trend has empowered "authority" in virtually every walk of life. Indeed, I'm old enough to remember when you could just walk onto an airplane without searches or x-rays. Can you imagine?

After owning several sailboats in years past I'm considering buying another for living aboard at least part of the year, probably in Mexico. But as the "freedom" goes out of I've got to wonder if it's really worth all the trouble.
Old 04-07-2012, 16:09   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
Let's face it, the last decade or so has witnessed the rise of "Fascism" in the United States and elsewhere, brought about in part by 9/11 and international terrorism. This trend has empowered "authority" in virtually every walk of life. Indeed, I'm old enough to remember when you could just walk onto an airplane without searches or x-rays. Can you imagine?

After owning several sailboats in years past I'm considering buying another for living aboard at least part of the year, probably in Mexico. But as the "freedom" goes out of I've got to wonder if it's really worth all the trouble.
You got me thinking back, yes i remember those days, particurally walking forward and joining the pilot in the "jump seat" interestingly watching him fly the plane.

Gone are those days because of the 'perceived threat' and subsequent job creation from that 'perceived threat'.

I clearly remember the only obnoxious person that fitted this scenario in our past cruising life was the local postmistress, a profession that always seemed to be tainted by "absolute power". She was always to be obeyed, dictating which line it was important to stand in........

Whilst the nutters walk free the rights of all of us will be restricted, get used to it, there is way too much vested interest for any reduction in the various policing units to be reduced, in fact the technology is sold worldwide, a bit like 'roundabouts'!!! = $$$$$$$

Still we are all human, be polite accept the inconvenience and get on with having a good time regardless....

The ability of being able to move on is what makes the cruisers life so sweet.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 16:10   #104

I would say we encouraged this attitude..The minute something goes wrong it's a political government issue. Why isn't our power back on why did you let this happen. You want independence Quit wining and be independent. Prosper be smart and dont rely on something else to enforce your standard of living. Go forward and be good. Happy independence day
Old 04-07-2012, 16:17   #105

I would think life on the road in a motorhome in the USA would bring many many more intrusions/visits/flashlights etc from the world of officialdom would it not???