Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 07:54   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409
Posts: 174
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would agree 100% with you if CF was writing a book.

But it's an Internet Forum with the content created by the Members, the price of that is not always useful ........but a lot less work to edit than a book , and a lot more folks willing to contribute (how many would bother for any subject if they knew a chunk of their contributions would be deleted?).
DOJ,

I almost always enjoy reading your point of view as long as you stay away from politics.

In this case though I think that there are a lot of opinions that don't get posted because people choose not to offer opinion that could be helpful because they know that it will be followed by a useless and decidedly "un-nice" personal attack, rather than just a different opinion. This is especially true on the topics of guns, safety, and the defense of self, family, and (dare I say?) property.

When a new member asks a question on a different topic that has been extensively discussed someone usually replies with a link to the search function and a simple, but nice, comment that the topic has already been covered and that they should read those posts to see their answer.

For me, I just add the argumentative poster to my ignore list.
__________________

__________________
Lucky Larry is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 08:23   #47
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
This is especially true on the topics of guns, safety, and the defense of self, family, and (dare I say?) property.
This is a boating site. BOA-TING! Would it surprise you to learn that I DON'T want to read anyone's opinion about guns, and the defense of self, family, and (dare you say?) property? At least not in the actual boating threads. There's a war room for that, and a thousand other websites besides.

(this thread has outlived its usefulness, it's now just carrion...)
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 08:24   #48
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Clocks ticking until this thread gets shut down. I bet today. I was right the last time, too.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 08:52   #49
Registered User
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 347
Re: Guns? Hunters?

www.=World Wide Web. Differing beliefs, thoughts, opinions, cultures, experiences, etc., pretty much goes with the www. territory.

I just checked and sure enough "Ignore this thread" is listed under thread tools. Maybe you should consider using it.

"Add a healthy dose of the U.S. attitudes vs the world on personal guns," Really ?

Using your expert critique of how CF should operate I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't ban all threads that ask "What boat......" etc...
After all I bet almost anything, and everything concerning boats has surely been ask, and answered numerous times by now.

And I have read just as much heated, and at times not very nice replies concerning certain brands of boats. Ad nauseam.

Welcome to CF if you arrived late, to bad, so sad...just use the search feature.

Got the 50cal on the bow. Is a M60 enough protection for the stern ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Because it's a boating site, maybe?

Because gun threads almost invariably become venues for debating the whole gun issue. Some do it earnestly because their position on guns is close to a religion; some pile in because they enjoy trolling the first group.

Add a healthy dose of the U.S. attitudes vs the world on personal guns, and let boil til mods declare it done.

Just about every conceivable gun/boat question has been asked and answered in this forum, so there's really no pressing reason to permit any more gun questions, unless there's a genuinely new question to be asked.

I've been told it's improper to talk politics or religion in polite company, guns are a religious AND political topic, so I'd be thrilled if the mods would crush any gun post that doesn't genuinely relate or contribute to the subject of BOATS. or at least banish them from the boating related sections.There's plenty of other internet venues for people to wank on about gun issues.
__________________
Andrew B. is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 08:53   #50
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This is a boating site. BOA-TING! Would it surprise you to learn that I DON'T want to read anyone's opinion about guns, and the defense of self, family, and (dare you say?) property? At least not in the actual boating threads. There's a war room for that, and a thousand other websites besides.

(this thread has outlived its usefulness, it's now just carrion...)

Seems like it would be trivial for you not to go to a thread titled "Guns? Hunters?" You could let the rest of us unwashed masses chew the fat about it without the need to interrupt the free flow of thoughts and ideas.

In fact, you could spend your time on threads relating purely to BOA-TING! What a concept!!
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 08:58   #51
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Seems like it would be trivial for you not to go to a thread titled "Guns? Hunters?" You could let the rest of us unwashed masses chew the fat about it without the need to interrupt the free flow of thoughts and ideas.

In fact, you could spend your time on threads relating purely to BOA-TING! What a concept!!
This particular forum is:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Life Aquatic Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum

Not the "let's yammer on about guns yet again" forum. I kind of thought I was on a BOA-TING forum. Who knew?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:01   #52
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This particular forum is:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Life Aquatic Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum

Not the "let's yammer on about guns yet again" forum. I kind of thought I was on a BOA-TING forum. Who knew?
Really?? what did you expect when you opened a thread titled "Guns? Hunters?" I honestly want your answer on this question.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:05   #53
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Perhaps a new rule on gun threads could solve a lot of problems.
Allow only one response from any one poster to any one gun thread.
Might hurt the feelings of a few habitual gun thread posters, but like the fact that these threads have been done to death and nothing new comes from them, the same can be said as to the opinions of the same repetitive responders.
Tellie is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:07   #54
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I just checked and sure enough "Ignore this thread" is listed under thread tools. Maybe you should consider using it.

"Add a healthy dose of the U.S. attitudes vs the world on personal guns," Really ?
I just checked, this is still a boating forum, and the WWW is apparently awash with other forums on guns and politics and such. Many more than for boating. Why must gun politics infest every other forum? Why must I go away, when you're off-topic?

The US/world attitudes on guns -maybe I wasn't clear. Do you disagree that there is a difference in the way the US views personal gun ownership vs many if not most other countries? Clearly this is a difference that guarantees friction, and is not likely to be resolved on a boating forum. So, yet another reason not to bring the gun subject up.

(Die thread die. Now would be good)
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:10   #55
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
DOJ,

I almost always enjoy reading your point of view as long as you stay away from politics.
Lol, you have a point , if I ran the world...........even I would leave .

Quote:
In this case though I think that there are a lot of opinions that don't get posted because people choose not to offer opinion that could be helpful because they know that it will be followed by a useless and decidedly "un-nice" personal attack, rather than just a different opinion. This is especially true on the topics of guns, safety, and the defense of self, family, and (dare I say?) property.
You have another good point. On some topics (the boat related stuff) CF is pretty damned good , on others (per your list) not so much .

I blame Obama .

David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:13   #56
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Really?? what did you expect when you opened a thread titled "Guns? Hunters?" I honestly want your answer on this question.
Well, the OP contained one useful question, and a few actual, useful answers were given in the thread. And that should have been the end of the thread... except that you and i know what inevitably happens.

My answer is - why is that thread allowed to continue past the point of usefulness, given the reaction that invariably occurs? Why is a gun politics free-for-all a necessary component of a boating forum?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:25   #57
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, the OP contained one useful question, and a few actual, useful answers were given in the thread. And that should have been the end of the thread... except that you and i know what inevitably happens.

My answer is - why is that thread allowed to continue past the point of usefulness, given the reaction that invariably occurs? Why is a gun politics free-for-all a necessary component of a boating forum?

I mean the following with all respect. Why continue to read a thread once you have determined it has continued past the point of usefulness? Why not go on with your business instead?

Also, why do you feel the need to bend CF into a model of what you think it should be? If folks want to talk about guns on boats just DON'T READ THE THREADs containing those discussions. Pretty simple I think.

Lot's of folks like guns, own guns, use guns for hunting, use guns for hobby, use guns as a component of being safe afloat. Nothing you say or do will change these facts.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:31   #58
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Lot's of folks like guns, own guns, use guns for hunting, use guns for hobby, use guns as a component of being safe afloat. Nothing you say or do will change these facts.
Like religion, like sex, like race, like politics... guns is a lightning-rod topic. Bringing it up on a public, world-wide forum guarantees dissent. Are you not getting enough gun discussion elsewhere that you hafta do it here too?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:33   #59
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,334
Re: Guns? Hunters?

actually some of us LIKE gun threads, we are after all on CF as much for entertainment as learning

gun threads (and some others) are good examples of why the world can not really get along
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now  
Old 30-07-2013, 09:34   #60
Registered User
 
Piglet's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: nothing
Posts: 164
Re: Guns? Hunters?

Sex is a lightning rod topic? Who doesn't like sex???
__________________

__________________
Piglet is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.