Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 08:07   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Gun Question, part 2

A boat no, but I don't cruise yet, either. When I do if legal, I will be armed.
My family and my house yes, once, No one was hurt or injured, it's my belief my having the gun kept things from escalating, we came home and they were already in the house. Of course I would not have gone in the house had I known it was occupied. Since then I have dogs that may or may not keep someone away, and an alarm that may or may not keep them out, better locks etc. to prevent a future occurrence if at all possible, prevention outweighs everything in my opinion.
I am convinced that Atoll's method has some merit, it's prevention.
I am also convinced that a weapon, of any kind whether it be a firearm, knife or shark bat, is an absolute last resort, think life raft. If you think possession of a weapon means you are safer and can therefore go places you wouldn't without the weapon, in my opinion you are a fool.
I think being armed is like having a fire extinguisher, by all means do everything possible to reduce the possibility of a fire, but have a fire extinguisher anyway, your family deserves being protected from fire. Only a fool would put off fixing loose wiring or a fuel leak because they have an extinguisher, and only a fool would let the possession of a weapon change their behavior.
Only an opinion of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 08:13   #17

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Gun quewstion, part 2

Quote:
Two or three years ago a yacht skipper was shot dead in Corfu, Greece (not far from where we cruise). In the middle of the night a party of Albanians were trying to steal his inflatable. He challenged them and warned them he was armed. They (it was the days when Albania was a bit more lawless than today) had AK47s and shot first.

Should he have shot first and started a firefight? Some would argue (it has been posted) that you don't take out a weapon unless you mean to use it. Frankly, an inflatable isn't worth anyone's life.

We're cruising Albania next year and I'd rather have to swim ashore than have a dead Albanian on my conscience! Not that Albania is a risk country any more - as you correctly opine, if it was we shouldn't be cruising it.
Definately would not have said "I have a gun". Probably would have let them take it and only shot them if they tried to come aboard. I would prefer that the person is only be aware I am armed is after they hear the report of my weapon.
Old 25-11-2013, 09:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRon View Post
For real pirates, I recommend the Barrett 50 caliber. You can reach out and touch someone from a mile away. Grin.
Have you ever tried shooting off the deck of a sailboat at sea? I may not be a super expert but start hunting when I was 9-10, was captain of the rifle team (never did like playing football) and have fired just about everything available to a civilian. I used to carry a stainless mini-14 on my boat and we would occasionally toss a beer bottle in the water for practise (only off soundings of course). Never hit one, even 30-40' from the boat and usually never even came close. Even larger targets once they were 100 yds or better from the boat I seldom came within a boat length.

The idea of hitting anything, even something large like a 25' panga full of pirates a mile away from the deck of a small boat is impossible.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 11:41   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

You would have a tough shot at 1000 yards. Not needed. @ 100 yards close enough to stop the outboard and make believers out of the pirates. I don't assume that because I find something difficult, that others would find it impossible as well. Some of us have a different skill set than others.
Old 25-11-2013, 12:03   #20

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
You would have a tough shot at 1000 yards. Not needed. @ 100 yards close enough to stop the outboard and make believers out of the pirates. I don't assume that because I find something difficult, that others would find it impossible as well. Some of us have a different skill set than others.
Push posh, can't go round thinking of folks as individuals. That throws a wrench in the works of the " there should be a law" set.

As for the shot from distance, I imagine it depends a lot on platform and practice. I can shoot better at over 75 yards with my Garand than I can in close. Something about me and those iron sights.

Of course I would not have my rifle with me so it really does not matter.
Old 25-11-2013, 12:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Push posh, can't go round thinking of folks as individuals. That throws a wrench in the works of the " there should be a law" set.

As for the shot from distance, I imagine it depends a lot on platform and practice. I can shoot better at over 75 yards with my Garand than I can in close. Something about me and those iron sights.

Of course I would not have my rifle with me so it really does not matter.
It's not the distance but as you mention it is the platform. I'm pretty good on land but from the deck of a boat even in 2-3' seas it's a lot harder than you might think.

Maybe someone that did a lot of training from a moving platform could do better but I doubt many on this forum have that background.
Old 25-11-2013, 12:23   #22

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Has anyone on this board actually used a gun to defend their boat?
Never have and hope I never will.
Old 25-11-2013, 12:23   #23

Re: Gun quewstion, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
what is the point of having a semi automatic rifle if you hand it in everywhere
So you break the law.

Surprised you haven't ended up in some grotty 3rd world prison by now, its happened before.
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 12:30   #24

Boat: Skookum 53'

Some people have grown up shooting from the deck of a small boat, at moving targets, and find stationary targets on land hard to hit.
Old 25-11-2013, 12:32   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Never have and hope I never will.
Never had to fight off a brown bear or a rabid muskrat?
Old 25-11-2013, 12:38   #26

Boat: Hopelessly Dreaming...

Hello, this is my first post here.

So what about the idea of archery equipment (bow or crossbow) as a line of self defense while aboard a boat? Are there regulations governing this when traveling to foreign destinations?
MacGregor518 is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 12:48   #27

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
I would guess if some one had there not gonna tell or say so here. Strange so many comments on here are only from those who don't carry... fill in the blanks.. there allot of water out there...
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 13:02   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
We were up in Canada anchored bow and stern at the end of a narrow, but deep fjord and heard a bear several times in the middle of the night.
The shore was only about a couple of boat lengths away on three sides, and I wished if needed, I had more than 60 feet of water separating us from the forest.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 13:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hey! Even a muskrat that's not rabid is a nasty little bugger!
Tantalus is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 13:14   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor518 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here.

So what about the idea of archery equipment (bow or crossbow) as a line of self defense while aboard a boat? Are there regulations governing this when traveling to foreign destinations?
In short - yes.

BTW, welcome aboard McG, not many make their first post in a hot topic ; hope you enjoy being part of CF and to hear more from you in the future
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Closed Thread