Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 12:12   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 111
Re: Gun Question, part 2

With the exception of law enforcement, I have never felt the need for a firearm for protection.

I take more prudent protection measures, similiar to not golfing during thunderstorms, not getting drunk and going bar hopping in unsafe areas etc, etc.

I think it is a personal decision. I just do not find it practical to take them into foreign ports.
__________________

__________________
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 12:45   #92
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,885
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Don, say it again, but louder this time. I don't think they heard you.

Interesting that of all these posts, not a single one has answered your original question.
Actually I thought I had back on page two--never had to resort to a firearm to defend my boat against a human threat.
__________________

__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 13:13   #93
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Actually I thought I had back on page two--never had to resort to a firearm to defend my boat against a human threat.
Agreed for sure!

I also think atoll's first answer was appropriate to the question... before he got attacked....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:28   #94
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Agreed for sure!

I also think atoll's first answer was appropriate to the question... before he got attacked....
Attacked, is that what americans consider an attack?
If it is, you are a very thin skinned bunch.
Gee, don't pull a gun and shoot me for it ...please don't.


It was hardly an attack, all I was doing was pointing out a fact that laws have been broken and to consider oneself to be above the law of particular countries is never a good look from my decades of experience in 3rd world countries (excluding America)
__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:31   #95
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: Gun Question, part 2

And to get the thread back on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Has anyone on this board actually used a gun to defend their boat?
__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:34   #96
Registered User
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 347
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Don, say it again, but louder this time. I don't think they heard you.

Interesting that of all these posts, not a single one has answered your original question.
I believe I did in Post #66, but as I said maybe being accosted, and
threatened while paddling a canoe doesn't count...

Only took one shot from my little Henry 22 Survival rifle(it floats) into the
water at a 90 degree angle, then making sure the two thugs had had a
change of heart about demanding I give them my canoe, and gear then
take a swim. Swimming, maybe tied up in a quick rising, fast current, cold
river just wasn't that appealing.
One across the bow has caused more than one pirate to change plans.

I am sure my military training along with the experience of some firefights
in RVN let me stay clear of purpose.

Still kind of weird how that rope hanging there in the guys hand
made me feel much more threatened than the verbal threats.

And no I never canoed in that river again...
__________________

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:42   #97
Registered User
 
Don1500's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On Board, just above the water
Boat: Marine Trader 47
Posts: 1,176
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Think I'll start a new thread. "Has anybody used a gun to protect their boat?"
__________________
The Nomad Blog Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Everything I know about cruising I learned from Travis McGee - http://theroamingnomad.com
Don1500 is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:50   #98
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I didn't feel this was following the other thread so I decided to start my own.

Has anyone on this board actually used a gun to defend their boat?

The closest I came was to have the gun by my side at 3AM when approached by a skiff with 5 guy's aboard. I was anchored in a small bay about 5 miles from anywhere. They never saw the gun, but it made me feel better that it was there. They were just about to board when they saw me. I told them to keep going, they did.
Sure... as a cash buyer of troll caught salmon off the BC coast in the 50's. When you've got $20K+ on board, you shot first and asked questions second. Not something I'm proud of but in the middle of the night, miles from anywhere it seemed like a good idea at the time. Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:50   #99
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Think I'll start a new thread. "Has anybody used a gun to protect their boat?"
The thread has had 2000 views. My guess (making this up), and being generous, 800 individuals have read parts of it.

I would not expect many positive responses out of 800 hundred to your question based on how rare such an encounter would be.

What would be of more interest is how many cruisers have been:

1. boarded by persons having criminal intent while onboard,

2. been physically assaulted while onboard and/or ashore, and

3. murdered while yachting (onboard and/or ashore).
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 14:55   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 111
Re: Gun Question, part 2

And my response would be the same, No never felt the need.
__________________
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 15:05   #101
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Attacked, is that what americans consider an attack?
If it is, you are a very thin skinned bunch.
Gee, don't pull a gun and shoot me for it ...please don't.


It was hardly an attack, all I was doing was pointing out a fact that laws have been broken and to consider oneself to be above the law of particular countries is never a good look from my decades of experience in 3rd world countries (excluding America)
every year about this time we get on cf the rightous who come out the wood work!

no sweat brother,i never said i was above the law!
i just never got caught
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 15:41   #102
Registered User
 
ShaktisBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Posts: 344
Re: Gun Question, part 2

The OPs original question was for info from those who have used a gun in self defense aboard a boat. My experience happened well over 20 years ago in Florida anchored off a popular beach. Technically I was on the beach but we came by boat. My date and I were enjoyed a romantic evening picnic. I was young and had just months before obtained my concealed weapon permit. My date was very negative about me carrying and openly ridiculed me saying your just being macho. To make a really long story short the beach had emptied hours earlier and we were alone or so we thought. We were approached from behind by six or more thugs and I was not so politely told to take a walk while they had their way with my date. I said no and a knife and several bats were pulled as they advanced. At this point I drew my gun told my date to get back to the boat and get it started up. Surprisingly my gun didn't seem to phase them much, they just sort of spread out but continued advancing slowly while I retreated into the water and back to the boat. I find it telling that less than a month later my date had her own concealed permit and to this day carries. I also know without a doubt that had I not been armed on that night I would have been injured or killed and she was going to get at the very least raped. Another thing I will say is I was never told about the aftermath of that kind of encounter. I was literally 1 or two pounds of pull on the trigger from shooting a bad guy or two. When I got back to the boat I took the helm and she pulled the anchor while i turned away from the beach. I made it maybe 100 yards before I vomited my entire dinner overboard. Afterward the adrenaline withdraw pretty much incapacitated me for the rest of the trip home. I have now grown older and hopefully a little wiser. I also think my dates original assessment of me wanting to be macho was quite accurate. Right up to that confrontation. I was not in anyway prepared for the fear and emotion the accompanies a violent encounter. Since then I have had many years to train and think through the what if's and have at least in my mind decided how I might handle a future bad encounter. My personal position on this subject will certainly not win a popularity contest here on CF. But I am a firm believer in my and your right to live free from violence, and that you should be allowed the tools to allow you to do that. I do carry weapons cruising here in the states but leave the guns at home on our Bahamas trips. I think I will rethink being unarmed from here on out and paperwork be damed.
__________________
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 16:17   #103
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,510
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
The OPs original question was for info from those who have used a gun in self defense aboard a boat. My experience happened well over 20 years ago in Florida anchored off a popular beach. Technically I was on the beach but we came by boat. My date and I were enjoyed a romantic evening picnic. I was young and had just months before obtained my concealed weapon permit. My date was very negative about me carrying and openly ridiculed me saying your just being macho. To make a really long story short the beach had emptied hours earlier and we were alone or so we thought. We were approached from behind by six or more thugs and I was not so politely told to take a walk while they had their way with my date. I said no and a knife and several bats were pulled as they advanced. At this point I drew my gun told my date to get back to the boat and get it started up. Surprisingly my gun didn't seem to phase them much, they just sort of spread out but continued advancing slowly while I retreated into the water and back to the boat. I find it telling that less than a month later my date had her own concealed permit and to this day carries. I also know without a doubt that had I not been armed on that night I would have been injured or killed and she was going to get at the very least raped. Another thing I will say is I was never told about the aftermath of that kind of encounter. I was literally 1 or two pounds of pull on the trigger from shooting a bad guy or two. When I got back to the boat I took the helm and she pulled the anchor while i turned away from the beach. I made it maybe 100 yards before I vomited my entire dinner overboard. Afterward the adrenaline withdraw pretty much incapacitated me for the rest of the trip home. I have now grown older and hopefully a little wiser. I also think my dates original assessment of me wanting to be macho was quite accurate. Right up to that confrontation. I was not in anyway prepared for the fear and emotion the accompanies a violent encounter. Since then I have had many years to train and think through the what if's and have at least in my mind decided how I might handle a future bad encounter. My personal position on this subject will certainly not win a popularity contest here on CF. But I am a firm believer in my and your right to live free from violence, and that you should be allowed the tools to allow you to do that. I do carry weapons cruising here in the states but leave the guns at home on our Bahamas trips. I think I will rethink being unarmed from here on out and paperwork be damed.
Thanks for sharing your story. My wife and I have also been robbed twice, although not on our boat. It does change the way one looks at things forever... now, we never go anywhere without our good friends Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. We received a notice last week, the last guy who robbed us.... gets out of prison tomorrow... on thanksgiving.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 16:18   #104
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: Gun Question, part 2

^^^ A terrible story but seems to be a case of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time more than a normal occurrence.

Dont get me wrong, I am not suggesting you shouldn't be able to enjoy a beach late at night, but if you live in a land where this sort of thing happens it probably best not to put you and yours at risk.
A bit like dont go swimming at dusk in areas where sharks are known to frequent.
__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 26-11-2013, 16:22   #105
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
every year about this time we get on cf the rightous who come out the wood work!

no sweat brother,i never said i was above the law!
You never had to brother, your actions speak louder than words.
If pointing that out makes me "righteous" in your eyes please consider what the gun obsessive's views are like for others.

My earlier comment was based on this story of an Australian Yachtie who figured not declaring his guns was a good idea.
He did spend a few months in jail for his trouble.

Quote:
Chris Packer is an Australian from Perth, Western Australia who in 2004 narrowly escaped the death penalty when arrested in Bali, Indonesia for suspected arms smuggling. Police arrested Packer after finding undeclared weapons aboard his 53m cargo ship, "Lissa" Registered in Avatiu.
7.30 Report - 22/11/2004: Aussie sailor held in Bali jail
__________________

__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners Maren Multihull Sailboats 4077 Yesterday 10:36
OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.814 Released bdbcat OpenCPN 185 14-09-2012 08:43
For Sale: Lagoon 440 2007 Privately Owned from New Huggi21 Classifieds Archive 6 25-01-2012 23:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.