Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 15:45   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post

We can tell by the way that you spell "defence"that you likely come from an area where people abhor guns. The vast majority of people in the country i am located in dont share that same aversion to such tools. Peter Blake could just have easilly wound up just as dead as others who were unarmed, but nonetheless, killed by pirates.

For those who detest guns, I think a good system to repel boarders would be a ring of piping with properly sized orifices aimed down and away from the ship, around the perimeter which could spray a nice jet of fire fueled by pressurized propane. Incinerate them when they get close enough to have demonstrated their intentions, but not far enough to be out of range. You dont want to use gasoline, since it sticks to the boat, and floats on the water.
I never understand why certain people, when others state they don't want to guns to defend themselves or carry them in case they hurt someone , have to be characterised as " abhorring " guns. I certainly don't. I was taught to fire a gun from age 7, But I don't see them as practical on a modern sailing boat for several reasons.

Nor would I agree "The vast majority of people in the country i am located in dont share that same aversion to such tools" with that statement. There is significant gun control in the US in many states and in many more a desire to enact tougher laws that often fall foul of the partisan divide.

As to the flame thrower idea, you can't be serious. I want to sail out of a country not spend the rest of my life in its jail.

Do you not understand the basic idea , kill someone in a foreign land and there's a good chance you'll rot in jail, especially if there was any form of premeditation. ( like man traps or flame throwers lol)

Lets keep the discussion on a sane level
Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 15:47   #47

Re: Gun quewstion, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thats why i allways carry some ** money in cash,a policeman on $50 a month is apt to develop temporary blindness when offered $100 to pay for his lunch
Advocating corruption now on top of the original gun charge.
It is exactly this sort of "above the law" or "doesn't apply to the wealthy " attitude that the world can do without.
Parmenter is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:53   #48

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Nor would I agree "The vast majority of people in the country i am located in dont share that same aversion to such tools" with that statement. There is significant gun control in the US in many states and in many more a desire to enact tougher laws that often fall foul of the partisan divide.

I am not sure what country you are in but I would have to disagree with you when it comes to the USA. I don't have a problem with other people not wanting guns if you don't know how to use them or can't then don't but I don't understand why you want to take away from the people they can and do.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 15:55   #49

Re: Gun Question, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Do you not understand the basic idea , kill someone in a foreign land and there's a good chance you'll rot in jail, especially if there was any form of premeditation. ( like man traps or flame throwers lol)
Or undeclared firearms in Atoll's case
Old 25-11-2013, 15:57   #50

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
It is exactly this sort of "above the law" or "doesn't apply to the wealthy " attitude that the world can do without.
Unfortunately, in some parts of the world, a bribe is expected to get things rolling and even customary much as would be leaving a gratuity for a waitress.
Old 25-11-2013, 15:57   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I don't have a problem with other people not wanting guns if you don't know how to use them or can't then don't but I don't understand why you want to take away from the people they can and do.
You do realise that what you want and what your laws or constitutional rights say means jack sh1t in other parts of the globe.

In other parts of the world you must abide by the law of that land.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:02   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
perhaps i grew up in a different world than you did!

having lived most of my life in the 3rd world,
corruption and guns are a part of daily life.........

brought to us by "guess who" ,who were trading guns,destabilising our economies,and corrupting our officials,so they could plunder our resources!

dont be a hipocrite till you have walked a mile in an american indians shoes,or a palestinians!
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 25-11-2013, 16:02   #53

unfortunately you're referring to the USA so maybe you should read your post. but with your current statement I would have to agree you follow the country law your in. I would think that is obvious.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:03   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Unfortunately, in some parts of the world, a bribe is expected to get things rolling and even customary
I have spent decades touring Asia and the pacific while it can be implied I am as yet to be weak enough to feel the need to submit to corruption.
Knowing the actual laws of the land and how much things are supposed to cost helps.
Quote:
much as would be leaving a gratuity for a waitress.
Something I wish you would have left in your own country.
That particular disease has now spread through other parts of the globe and is now almost expected in lands where a "tip" was previously unheard of, until american tourists started leaving them.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:04   #55

Dam astrid you started corruption all over the globe.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:05   #56
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I am not sure what country you are in but I would have to disagree with you when it comes to the USA. I don't have a problem with other people not wanting guns if you don't know how to use them or can't then don't but I don't understand why you want to take away from the people they can and do.
I don't want to take away your guns. I certainly don't think there a good idea on a boat. But I never said I want to take away your guns. ( nor You take away mine btw, I has great fun on the range last Sunday. )

Nor have I problem with the few people that are trained to react rationally , calmly and methodically under very stressful situations , but most people "carrying" have never fired a shot in anger and are more likely to hurt themselves then do anything useful with a gun.

Ps I can use them , arguably better then most, still don't want to ave them onboard. , get the concept, have guns , can license them to have on a boat , can use them , don't want to. Nothing more complicated.

You do as you wish

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 16:06   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
dont be a hipocrite till you have walked a mile in an american indians shoes,or a palestinians!
Are you suggesting that you are an American Indian or a Palestinian?

Does that give you the right to break the law?
Old 25-11-2013, 16:08   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Are you suggesting that you are an American Indian or a Palestinian?

Does that give you the right to break the law?
I think he means you should experience the other side of life in some of these countries.

Dave
Old 25-11-2013, 16:08   #59
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I didn't feel this was following the other thread so I decided to start my own.

Has anyone on this board actually used a gun to defend their boat?

The closest I came was to have the gun by my side at 3AM when approached by a skiff with 5 guy's aboard. I was anchored in a small bay about 5 miles from anywhere. They never saw the gun, but it made me feel better that it was there. They were just about to board when they saw me. I told them to keep going, they did.
So, I take it the answer's "No".
Old 25-11-2013, 16:09   #60

Quote:
Dam astrid you started corruption all over the globe.
I had no intention of singling Astrid out and I also note she is Canadian, but my point stands.
Tipping is not part of many other countries culture, but since those from lands with a tipping culture have been giving them, without thinking, it is becoming more expected.
Closed Thread