Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 14:29   #181

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Gun Question

Obamacare is now a household name... OOPS!
Old 20-11-2013, 15:13   #182

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+1 !

Ayn Rand
Old 20-11-2013, 15:57   #183
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
We have all read, over and over, the VERY FEW stories of boats being boarded at night. We also read about "Kardashians" (whatever those are). Human nature.
+100, very true, the real chance of meeting something that requires a firearm is very very small indeed , virtually vanishing.

Quote:
Of all the things you mention, only the gun injures/kills if used correctly. And too few can use them correctly, or will use them correctly when awoken at 3am by an unexplained bump. And just by their presence, your boat would become more attractive to thieves.
Again , very true, though not sure how having a gun makes you attractive to thieves unless you let them know, most carrying guns on board are very circumspect. But I agree, guns are often more of a emotional "prop" for the holder then any use in a real encounter, especially where such encounter results in an exchange of fire.

Quote:
So, I think that elevates the gun to more cautious, critical consideration as a useful boat tool.
Again correct , I think on any rational scientific basis, there is no avoiding the fact that its a lot of hassle for a very dubious or nill gain.

Quote:
Anyway, both you and I know that gun threads more often as not become dog-whistles for re-fighting the whole US gun issue, as proxy for some deeper political beliefs.
Now there a very good insight, I couldn't agree more, seemingly very true in the US between both domestic and international commentators on the political situation in the US. Such debates do not take place in other countries in that no politician would survive advocating more lenient gun laws in such countries.

Quote:
This thread demonstrated to me that a relatively calm discussion on guns can be held on CF, but even here the dogmas occasionally leaked in. It would be like if, in a harness thread, someone goes off about "harness = nanny state" or some such twaddle.
Very true, especially the patronising tone taken by pro-gun advocates against other nations whose laws are different ( note just different) , and for which they blame the "gubberment" as is " your rights/freedoms are being curtailed by the gubberment". WHat most fail to realise is that in these countries, guns laws are enacted because of huge public demand, and most countries , if they allowed the people to decide, would have absolutely no legal private guns at all.

I think , one can have a calm discussion on the "technical" issues of firearms, etc. Once you stray into the "use" of firearms you immediately enter a political/emotional arena and the views change.

dave
Old 20-11-2013, 16:44   #184

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Here is a boarding not to long ago and the owner was threatened that they had a gun.
Boaters under 'pirate' flag charged in Smith's Cove robbery attempt » Latest Cape Ann News » GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA If he doesn't think about himself he should be thinking about his wife. The next time he might just need a gun. Like they say better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
Old 20-11-2013, 17:07   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Very true, especially the patronising tone taken by pro-gun advocates against other nations whose laws are different ( note just different) , and for which they blame the "gubberment" as is " your rights/freedoms are being curtailed by the gubberment". WHat most fail to realise is that in these countries, guns laws are enacted because of huge public demand, and most countries , if they allowed the people to decide, would have absolutely no legal private guns at all.
dave
Hi Dave,

Very good reply in general...

One comment, I think it is a bit insincere to complain about "patronizing tones" and then use terms like "gubberment" when referring to the alternative viewpoints.
Old 20-11-2013, 17:08   #186
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Hi Dave,

Very good reply in general...

One comment, I think it is a bit insincere to complain about "patronizing tones" and then use terms like "gubberment" when referring to the alternative viewpoints.
I am allowed to call my own , anything I like , thank you.

I use the term to illustrate this that blame the " gubberment " for everything . its a common use of the term . as in " its them in gubberment , what done it" etc

dave
Old 20-11-2013, 17:42   #187
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Your post is a very model of arrogance, and perhaps explains why you seem so immune to understanding any opinion you don't already hold.
I see many points of view. But I fail to see the point of pulling me up on using the term " gubberment " , what are you objecting too. I have far more derogatory terms for my government then " gubberment " , for example pig swilling, overpaid corrupt ass holes comes to mind, but hey to each his own.

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 17:50   #188

Please ignore the trolls, and the anti-gun folks.

If drawn into a political argument, which is exactly what some want, the
thread will be closed. This is their real goal. Not seemingly nice, intellectual
but misguided civil discourse.

So what kind of 30-30 ammo is the most accurate while offering good stopping power ? Similar to .308, & 7.62 ?

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Old 20-11-2013, 17:59   #189
Nearly an old salt

There was a post concerning the reliability of pumps a ways back. Ive not found them unreliable, so what specific things go wrong in people's view.

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 18:21   #190

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
There was a post concerning the reliability of pumps a ways back. Ive not found them unreliable, so what specific things go wrong in people's view. Dave
I think the issue was about a misfire when chambering a round. I believe that could be overcome by good regular maintenance. I would like to hear more incase I am wrong.
Old 20-11-2013, 18:24   #191
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post

I think the issue was about a misfire when chambering a round. I believe that could be overcome by good regular maintenance. I would like to hear more incase I am wrong.
A misfire or a mis-load?

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 18:25   #192

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
I see many points of view. But I fail to see the point of pulling me up on using the term " gubberment " , what are you objecting too. I have far more derogatory terms for my government then " gubberment " , for example pig swilling, overpaid corrupt ass holes comes to mind, but hey to each his own.

Dave
When people characterize others on the basis of cartoon stereotyping, it simply betrays a level of arrogance that in my opinion, deserves to be called out. You are entitled to your stereotypes, but you should expect some level of contempt from those who find them offensive.
Old 20-11-2013, 18:28   #193
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
When people characterize others on the basis of cartoon stereotyping, it simply betrays a level of arrogance that in my opinion, deserves to be called out. You are entitled to your stereotypes, but you should expect some level of contempt from those who find them offensive.
You've lost me , what cartoon sterotyping. I did make a comment I wish people wouldn't use cartoon sterotyping of guns issues outside the US. L
Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 18:54   #194

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
You've lost me , what cartoon sterotyping. I did make a comment I wish people wouldn't use cartoon sterotyping of guns issues outside the US. L
Dave
Hmmmm....

Quote:
I am allowed to call my own , anything I like , thank you.

I use the term to illustrate this that blame the " gubberment " for everything . its a common use of the term . as in " its them in gubberment , what done it" etc

dave
You really don't get it, do you....
Old 20-11-2013, 19:18   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thread closed.

This thread has degenerated into personal attacks and bickering. We have been inundated by complaints from members.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread