Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 11:07   #151

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
could I get an answer to my questions would you use a DA or SA handgun on a boat and what about a ruger 10/22 with short barrel and hollow point ammo. much stopping power ?, would my silencer have any measurable effect here Dave
With a .22 your ammunition is very important. There is quite a difference between CCI Velociter ammunition and cheap bulk or subsonic ammunition.

With .30 rounds in an easily swapped out magazine, the .22 would be enough in my mind, though not as comforting as something a bit larger. Take a phone book and shoot it at close range with a few bulk rounds and then again with some high power target rounds.

.22 caliber has the advantage of not attracting customs attention I imagine, but your silencer would be illegal in the USA in many states, and even in the ones where it isn't, it requires a special license and paying large fees.

As to DA vs SA? I like SA. I think most police forces are no DA only because they are afraid of lawsuits (the same reason police issue revolvers remove the SA option from the hammer). My personal accuracy is much better with a SA handgun.
Old 19-11-2013, 16:32   #152
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I would always opt for a revolver (Judge or Governor for boat if a handgun would be carried) and these are both SA and DA. I hate those DAO revolvers.

I used subsonic .22LR ammo from Eley (choice of champions and it worked good in the bolt action Anschutz rifle but lead to occasional trouble in my Hammerli semi auto pistol. CCI was never a problem but not as accurate for target shooting.

About non-US citizens bringing a gun on a private yacht into the USA: sure you can do that. First, you need to fill out the temporary import form for non-residents from the ATF (can download on-line). Then you need either an invitation of a gun club or a hunting license of any state. Last time I checked Alaska sold $10 year permits for wildlife protection only (not allowed to take game so it's cheap).

Old 19-11-2013, 16:45   #153
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
That is why I started this thread. I am mostly familiar with 22 magnums and todays bad guys are growing larger and more muscular and I'm not sure I could drop one with a not so well placed shot with a 22 magnum.

I remember seeing a cop on TV one time being interviewed. They were talking about exercise equipment and supplements in prison. The cop said "last year I was chasing a 160 lb wannabe. Now he comes out of prison at 230 lbs and very muscular." looking at some of the news footage in the evening, some of these thugs are in excess of 300 lbs.

BTW, what is WMR?

If you want a fast moving small caliber pistol round, go buy a Five seveN. My all time favorite pistol, it's an assault rifle that fits in your pocket. Designed for SF P90 operators, it fires the proprietary 5.7mm round, which was designed to defeat Class IV body armor. Terminal effect is disastrous, as the round was carefully designed to turn sideways after entering the wound cavity. Very light weight, extremely accurate, devastatingly effective, almost no metal parts, very little recoil, stock 20 round mags, built in Picattiny for laser, etc. etc. It's simply the best there is. No other pistol develops accuracy at range like this.

Attached Images

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 19-11-2013, 16:54   #154
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

.22 LR, .380, .38, .45 ACP, 5.7mm, .223, 7.62x39.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	70751  

Old 19-11-2013, 16:55   #155
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Five seveN slugs. You don't want any of this...
Attached Images

Old 19-11-2013, 17:40   #156

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

This whole conversation is crazy. All of this effort and technology to kill other people?
Old 19-11-2013, 17:44   #157

Personally I don't think anyone posting wants to kill anyone.
Old 19-11-2013, 17:50   #158
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
This whole conversation is crazy. All of this effort and technology to kill other people?

Lol, it's called the real world! Most technology was invented to kill other people, including Turing and Zuse inventing the computer you are currently using during WWII. War can be an incredible driving force, after all necessity IS the mother of invention. Unfortunately, it's human nature.

Old 19-11-2013, 18:08   #159

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
No, it's just so we can delude yourselves that we can.
Old 19-11-2013, 20:19   #160

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Personally I don't think anyone posting wants to kill anyone.
Umm, can't have a .22 just wound someone right?
So many posting here DO want to kill someone.

Now like all good things on a boat, a Flare Gun can do more than one thing.

Old 19-11-2013, 21:31   #161
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Umm, can't have a .22 just wound someone right?
So many posting here DO want to kill someone.

Now like all good things on a boat, a Flare Gun can do more than one thing.

You don't know what you're talking about, no one wants to kill anybody. But the fact of the matter is, if the situation has progressed to the point where you have made the informed, conscious decision to use lethal force to defend yourself (and that is the only point at which you should employ a firearm), then you will want to apply that lethal force as effectively as possible with as little doubt as possible to the outcome.

Old 19-11-2013, 22:25   #162

Old 20-11-2013, 03:00   #163

Quote:
You don't shoot to kill. You shoot to stay alive.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:07   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
That is why I started this thread. I am mostly familiar with 22 magnums and todays bad guys are growing larger and more muscular and I'm not sure I could drop one with a not so well placed shot with a 22 magnum. ?
When I took AJ-101 (basic firearms for law enforcement), I was instructed that 9mm x 19 (aka 9mm Lugar, 9mm parabellem, etc) was the minimum acceptable caliber for self defense.

The last murder trial that I sat in on had a .380 for a murder weapon. The first shot to the back incapacitated the victim. The second shot to the head caused immediate death.

Many different sources specify many different calibers as acceptable/not acceptable for self defense. This topic is debated on firearms forums in the way that anchors are debated here.

I base my opinion on my hunting experience. At 1,000fps, I want 1 grain of bullet weight per pound of animal being shot. At higher speeds, the bullet size can be scaled back. That is my personal rule of thumb based on my personal experience. That opinion has no other basis.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:19   #165

Remington 870 12 gauge can be acquired for less than $500. Doesn't need to be the marine model if you care for it. It's easily stowed and loaded with 00 will take down an intruder no matter how much you hand shakes. Go with the 18" barrel and its quite maneuverable even in tight spaces. Loaded with slugs or slugs alternated with 00 and you have a very efficient defense weapon.
Closed Thread