Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 21:05   #121
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Gun Question

Even better, the Sea Service blunderbuss!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	70696  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 18-11-2013, 21:06   #122
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Or the blunderbuss pistol. Ouch!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	70697  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 18-11-2013, 21:07   #123

Boat: Beneteau 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's apparent not many have declared guns with customs of many countries yet. I did a couple dozen times and found that: - Handguns are trouble. They do not want you to bring them. - Shotguns with shortened barrels and/or non-standard stocks are trouble too. They do not want you to bring them. - Have a good gun locker aboard. They do not want it to be easy to take the gun from your boat. There are some rules like for example minimum barrel length of 22" (from memory, may well be different) and minimum overall length of xx". All that to prevent guns that can easily be concealed. The mariner versions are that minimum size IIRC. I have been allowed to keep the shotgun (unmodified Mossberg 500 Mariner) aboard, where handguns would have been taken in for duration of my stay. Also, I have been allowed to keep the gun because I have a gun locker. They didn't even seal it and this was in a country where they are supposed to take in any type of gun for the duration of your stay. I have had coastguard aboard for inspection in Venezuela and Colombia where they were not at all interested in the shotgun. It is considered like a machete. I carry three types of shells: plenty bird shot as it is cheap and good enough for close quarters defense (anything is lethal within 10m / 30'). Then I have some buckshot and some 3" Magnum Remington sluggers like the Terminator uses in the movies This would be to shoot the croc or engine block or bear or shark and stop them I hope. I never needed the gun but needed it when I didn't have it yet. Just like spare parts.
About time. Good info worth reading from someone who's been there.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
Old 18-11-2013, 21:37   #124

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This is a gun question on what to buy.
SNIP
I just read the whole thread. While your question did include a lot of detail and you seem to have more than a passing knowledge of fire arms in my opinion you should not buy a gun now.

It would be easy for me to say get an inexpensive H&R 12 gauge pump ($US174 at Walmart) that is mostly legal every where you will be going and you won't feel bad if you have to throw it overboard. But as you can see there are lots of other options and many of them have good points, maybe better than a shotgun.

The thing is there is no perfect gun just as there is no perfect boat. You are the best person to select the best firearm for your boat. Problem is right now you don't have all the experience and data you need to make that decision. Stuff like can you deal with the kick of a shotgun or a hand gun larger than a 22. Go to some local gun stores/ranges. Shoot some guns. Se how they feel in your hand, and how accurate you are shooting them.

Guns are not toys. Not everyone can, or wants to , use or even own them. If someone posted a question along the lines of 'what boat should I buy' most folks at CF would say sail some boats, see what they are like, walk the docks, and get some more knowledge before you buy one. The same advice goes for guns.
Old 18-11-2013, 21:42   #125

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Flare Gun
Old 18-11-2013, 22:40   #126

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Flare Gun
There is a video of some dumb idiot on YouTube shooting himself in the head with a flare gun. It didn't look fun, but he certainly wasn't all that injured. Aside from scaring a bad guy who doesn't know, it's not likely to do you much good.
Old 18-11-2013, 22:50   #127

Boat: Seafarer 38
Thanks. The fact it comes in stainless definitely appealed to me. Also clearing customs with a gun that doesn't look intimidating to customs officials is valuable to me though this one might be nice enough to get attention. It is compact, stainless, fires five shots as fast as needed, and each 000 buck shell has five respectably large balls.

It isn't designed as a boat gun, but it should be fine oiled up in the stainless model. The big question mark is really how customs officials would view it abroad. Hopefully they would take a look and see a small gauge shotgun and not care much past that. I like the revolver action for its simplicity on a boat. There is no moving bolt to lock up. Another reason I've been thinking this way is that it would fit easily in our gun locker on the boat.

I don't want to detract too much from the OP's question, so I'll leave it at that, but thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-112479153.png
Views:	91
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	70699  
Old 19-11-2013, 00:04   #128

Boat: Skookum 53'

I read the first page of posts and skipped to the last page, figuring it would degenerate into the whole gun thing, seeing that is has not, I would recommend the Mossberg Mariner, I am sure someone has already nominated it for the purposes of your question. It doesn't look like an assault weapon like the folding stock units do, yet will acheive the same ends, and not alarm the leos as much. I would still consider a glock 21 for a bed side piece just to keep the close quarters work option available. If it is in a locked case with a trigger lock, you shouldn't see any grief. I am not conversant with the local gun laws on the east coast, so disregard any of this response that is ignorant. I like the M14 personally, combined with the 1911, and the Mossberg. Not just for anti bad guy, if you happen across a deer, it is all good for fresh meat.
Old 19-11-2013, 03:03   #129
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
Wow, maybe this is the winner for most useless, arbitrary, off-topic insult.
Have you been on the internet much?
Old 19-11-2013, 03:15   #130
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
And in reference to the World Wide Web comment, if someone posted a thread about wanting info off the rocky patches of rainy land off England, I wouldn't feel the need to tell them that area sucked and they should come down here to the VI. It obviously doesn't help the OP, nor the people trying to have a rational discussion.
But you would be welcome to do exactly that and indeed encouraged to do so as would be informative to point out that there are places in the world where the weather is better and an umbrella is not needed 24/7......that may or may not be what an OP wants to hear , but that's how forums work . Perhaps better off choosing another medium if folks only want to hear what they want to hear to support own views (delusions?).....maybe Fox? .
Old 19-11-2013, 03:15   #131
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I would agree with the comments about the suitability of a mossberg mariner. These are available worldwide ( and in the UK for example) and shotguns tend to elicit less or little attention from customs/ firearms officers and or LEOs. I have sailed with one in the past.

Whatever about the US , I would not consider sailing with a handgun ,especially high calibre or police equivalent types. Brings a world of hassle when checking in. ( I only know this second hand as I've never sailed with a handgun )

I do have a nice minimum barrel silenced ruger 10/22 rifle. Small compact , cheap ammo, light , rapid fire , using low velocity hollow points , I wonder if it has much stopping power. !

Dave
Old 19-11-2013, 03:34   #132
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post

2. It is dishonest to equate the ability to use lethal force with the desire or the will to do so. NO ONE wants to kill ANYONE for taking their $500 chartplotter. Ethics aside, doing so instantly transports you into the criminal justice system. Everyone who owns a firearm understands what that means.
Not kill someone over $500? I think we may have been mixing in different social circles.

Quote:
9. To the OP...carrying a weapon is fine...but well before you do...you need to give considerable thought to how and when you would employ it. Never brandish a weapon. A weapon is a tool, taken out and used when there is no other choice to protect your life or the life of a loved one. As a responsible gun owner, I am very certain you understand that...even if most posting here do not.
Much sense here . If you are intending to cause harm to someone then thinking ahead is essential and that includes not dithering around when the time comes, albeit 10 minutes (or 10 days ) before the time comes works the best. but spotting that moment takes practice. and also useful to have the ability to sleep soundly at night - including after those inevitable "ooops - I might have got it wrong again moments" .

Do you need a gun on a boat? Given that most folks get harmed or killed by folks they know (whether family, friends or only passing acquaintances) and it is kinda awkward to point a gun at folks during normal social interaction then I would vote no. Having a blunt or sharp object to hand is a bit more practical - most trouble starts in arms reach. But, if you can't outsource the shootin' stuff (to law enforcement or the private sector) then I would vote for a small handgun that could be deployed up close and is not obvious when it is in your hand (no point letting folks know what is coming - takes the surprise away ). Up close means aiming also not an issue.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:57   #133
cruiser

The ingnore function must be working well for most contributors to this thread.

Lot's of good, helpful information for the OP so far.
Old 19-11-2013, 05:02   #134

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Personally, I like coach guns. The Stoeger is a good low-priced option of you plan to shoot shot. I think that the standard fixed chokes are modified & full. They give pretty good patterns.

If you want to shoot slugs, then get a Baikal coach gun. They usually come with cylinder bore barrels.

I've taken a coach gun to hunt deer in thick brush. It worked out well for me.

At least one model of the Stoeger coach gun is bored either cylinder/cylinder or improved cylinder/improved cylinder (I forget which, it's not marked on the barrels, and I didn't put a caliper on 'em), and I think they also offered a coach model with interchangeable choke tubes.

Given the relatively short length and simplicity of the action -- and speed of utility, given extensive practice -- I'd tend to agree that a coach gun could be a decent choice if selecting a shotgun for this application.

-Chris
Old 19-11-2013, 05:08   #135

Boat: Catalina 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Was that ammo steel, aluminum or brass case?
Brass case, open carry. It pays to function check on a regular basis or before your shift.
Closed Thread