Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 22:25   #46

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
To the guys who suggest rifles for boat defense, in what situation would the range of the rifle come in handy? I would imagine that in any kind of sea it would be really tough to take advantage of the extra reach. At night time, you're also limited by visibility.
I think that the rifle advocates mostly want to avoid handgun hassles.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:38   #47
cruiser

Re: Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
To the guys who suggest rifles for boat defense, in what situation would the range of the rifle come in handy? I would imagine that in any kind of sea it would be really tough to take advantage of the extra reach. At night time, you're also limited by visibility.
I recommend the AK47 for reasons other than range, although range, accuracy and even just the sound of it is enough to make anyone crap his pants. The primary reasons include being legal in most if not all states when set up as a hunting rife, short overall length with a 16 inch barrel. With a folding stock... it's like a pistol on mega steroids. Stay away from the 30 round mags for legal reasons and instead carry multiple 10 rounders. The reliability of an AK47 is legendary in harsh conditions, and the recoil is very light compared to revolvers and shotguns to the point where any woman can be comfortable handling the gun. The AK also rids you of the legal issues in many states you'll encounter carrying a handgun. They are just nasty, multi-use killing machines.... which is why there's over 100 million of them. Great for personal defense. Plus, they'll leave a smaller hole in your boat than a shotgun if you miss IMHO.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:48   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

What about the Stoeger Coach Gun in Nickel? Might be easier to deal with at Customs. Or maybe a bolt 12 gauge? The Coach Gun is pretty ideal though. Just hard to convince anyone it's for hunting.

Coach Gun Supreme Shotgun | Stoeger Industries

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp2635.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	70648  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:53   #49
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice break down for stowage too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	70647  

Old 17-11-2013, 23:05   #50

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
What about the Stoeger Coach Gun in Nickel? Might be easier to deal with at Customs. Or maybe a bolt 12 gauge? The Coach Gun is pretty ideal though. Just hard to convince anyone it's for hunting. Coach Gun Supreme Shotgun | Stoeger Industries
It's gorgeous but a bit long to handle indoors.
Old 17-11-2013, 23:41   #51
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
It's gorgeous but a bit long to handle indoors.

Only way you're going to get any shorter is with a handgun.

Old 17-11-2013, 23:41   #52
cruiser

One last comment I'd like to make if you are considering a pump action shotgun for home or boat defense: Unless you are a very skilled and practiced skeet or trap shooter or ex military experienced with a shotgun having fired thousands of rounds, you won't remember to rack the gun before or after the first shot in a panic situation. If in doubt, just try this next time you're at the indoor range or at home with snap caps: Place the shotgun loaded and unracked on the ground with the safety on in a darkened room. With multiple targets set up, pick up the gun as fast as you can while someone turns on the lights and try to hit or even fire at one of them. Most people can't even fire the gun once. They'll either forget to take it off safety, fail to rack the shotgun, fail to rack it completely or miss the trigger... myself included. There's something about the panic, darkness, confusion and handling ammo that makes this exercise very difficult. Of course, don't do it with live ammo at home. Snap caps are dummy ammo. At the range, try it with live ammo if permissable in a safe setting.

Dry firing the shotgun for practice isn't good enough to show what you'd actually do in a panic... You need to practice running actual ammo through the gun, either snap caps or live in a safe setting.

The results will surprise you.
Old 17-11-2013, 23:54   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
With a folding stock... it's like a pistol on mega steroids.

Just leave the stock out of it and shorten the barrel more. Legally, this Romak AK-47 with 75 round drum is a pistol. It has a 7" barrel. Totally legal in the US as long as its not full auto. The drum is, of course, not legal everywhere. You can buy one of these for less than $500. Not the way to go IMHO, but probably better on a boat than full size. Too obtrusive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	70649  

Old 18-11-2013, 00:21   #54
cruiser

I live in Massachusetts... Not legal to own or have one here, even without the drum.

Nice gun BTW.
Old 18-11-2013, 01:41   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am astonished that folk feel the need to carry a gun with the intention of killing someone who steps on board their yacht late at night. The OP was talking about cruising the Eastern US, presumably the ICW. Sure some punk might be there to relieve you of some valuables hoping you are not on board. However, if it turns into a confrontation are you really going to shoot them? particularly with some of the weapons that are being suggested.

In the UK that would be murder and this is exactly what happened to Tony Martin a farmer who shot 2 burglars one night. It cost him 5 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

I just wonder how many boats that are occupied are actually targeted each year in the US which is after all a first world country? is this a real problem or just some unfound fear?

Pete
Old 18-11-2013, 02:58   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
That's right, cops can be real touchy in a catastrophe, need to able to protect yourself from them. Danziger Bridge shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...na_controversy
Why this? You must know what I mean. Have you been in the aftermath of natural disaster? I have (hurricane Ivan in Grenada) and I can assure you that it is very wise to have a gun during that. I'll not even go into details.

Old 18-11-2013, 05:16   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am astonished that folk feel the need to carry a gun with the intention of killing someone who steps on board their yacht late at night. The OP was talking about cruising the Eastern US, presumably the ICW. Sure some punk might be there to relieve you of some valuables hoping you are not on board. However, if it turns into a confrontation are you really going to shoot them? particularly with some of the weapons that are being suggested.

In the UK that would be murder and this is exactly what happened to Tony Martin a farmer who shot 2 burglars one night. It cost him 5 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

I just wonder how many boats that are occupied are actually targeted each year in the US which is after all a first world country? is this a real problem or just some unfound fear?

Pete

There used to be a boat that anchored in the cove around the bend from my marina. She was boarded and the owner killed (with a knife). It was targeted, not for robbery, but because the guy who did the killing thought the owner was sleeping his girlfriend.

Most states have some sort of castle doctrine, whether codified or just case law. This may or may not apply to a boat, even if you are living aboard.
Old 18-11-2013, 05:41   #58

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Now, I am thinking possibly both a handgun and a shotgun. It's the middle of the night thing that may be the most important thing.

Each platform has advantages... and also disadvantages. It's reasonably easy (albeit more expensive) to carry a suite of handgun(s), short shotgun, short rifle... and then select for employment as appropriate to the circumstance.

-Chris
Old 18-11-2013, 05:47   #59

FWIW, when my Mama was looking for a home protection weapon, she asked policemen what they'd recommend and across the board it was 'shotgun.'

Ease of use, wide coverage, cheap ammo.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:01   #60

Boat: Catalina 30
Actually the easiest is a revolver in .38. No action to work, just point and pull. If the the user has smaller hands it's best to test what you want out and find something comfortable.
Closed Thread