Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 19:32   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
This requires the peep getting too close to you. Ask George Zimmerman how he faired.
Bad choice of examples. He didn't let the 'peep' get too close to him, against the direction of police he chased down a black kid he didn't like the looks of that was passing through his neighborhood, got into an argument with the kid and killed him. How there came to be an altercation that led the death is speculation, the account GZ gave has no disinterested witnesses. The one thing for sure is that he didn't stand his ground.

As far as the OP's desire to limit travel to the US, there is a maze of state and local rules you are expected to abide by, whatever carry permit you have might be honored in only one or two other jurisdictions. This is a long thread on the topic that has a lot of relevant info sources mentioned. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-114038.html
Old 17-11-2013, 19:47   #32

I think the ideal boat gun is an SS .22 pistol, one that will fit in your pocket and will only be produced when all else fails. Even that fired inside a cabin will damage your hearing. You will also have trouble if you are boarded by police or coast guard in NJ, NY, or Maryland even if it's stored in a locked container separate from it's ammo. The just traveling thru excuse won't cut it in those places when you are on a boat. Carried a gun for years because I had to be in very bad neighborhoods. It's a total pain in the ass. I know retired cops who really should go armed and don't because it's just too much trouble.
Old 17-11-2013, 19:53   #33
cruiser

Mossberg 500 Mariner 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a Surefire forearm weapon light. It's very short in length with a pistol grip. Load it with slugs or buckshot to keep the bad guys away from the boat, or choose #4 or bird shot for indoor use.

Second choice: A Russian Vepr AK47 7.62 x 39 16.5 inch barrel, Surefire 300x weapon light and a 10 round magazine for the wife.

A 30-30 is also a good choice for distance, but unfortunately it's lacking in round capacity compared to the AK47, which can use 10 round mags.

Both long guns are legal in all US states. Pistols and revolvers can be a problem in many places.

I also recommend keeping a few ka bar survival knives strategically placed around the boat.

On second thought, I'd move the AK47 up to my first choice. The Vepr is dressed up as a hunting rifle... Not at menacing in appearance.
Old 17-11-2013, 20:01   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

"Bad choice of examples. He didn't let the 'peep' get too close to him, against the direction of police he chased down a black kid he didn't like the looks of that was passing through his neighborhood, got into an argument with the kid and killed him. How there came to be an altercation that led the death is speculation, the account GZ gave has no disinterested witnesses. The one thing for sure is that he didn't stand his ground."

Wow.
Old 17-11-2013, 20:13   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I too think a handgun will not be legal in every state on the east coast. If it would be, the choice would be easy: S&W Governor with laser grip. Like the Taurus Judge, it takes .45 long and .410 2.5" shot shells. But unlike the Judge, the Governor also take .45ACP which makes it cheaper to train with. It is a bit small for my hands but this allows it to be used by most woman.

The Mossberg 500 Mariner is the competitor for the Remington Mariner. I believe the Remington is better and more expensive. I think a shotgun is legal in all the states and I'm sure that even a .410 is enough, especially with the personal defense shells available.

If staying south of the "no handgun" states, I would think about both a governor and a .410 shotgun.

About needing a gun: think New Orleans, post Katrina.

Old 17-11-2013, 20:38   #36

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Flare Gun
Old 17-11-2013, 20:44   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
About needing a gun: think New Orleans, post Katrina.
That's right, cops can be real touchy in a catastrophe, need to able to protect yourself from them.
Danziger Bridge shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...na_controversy
Old 17-11-2013, 21:00   #38

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I have been leaning that way for the very same reason. Everyone and I mean everyone knows that sound.
How about playing this through your audio system if you can't handle a weapon?

Ayn Rand
Old 17-11-2013, 21:02   #39

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I have a SW SS 38 sn. Traveled the east coast for years, always brought a handgun. Came close to needing it once and was never bothered about having it. One of the things I like about this sort of post is that it brings the nit wits out in the open so I can just funnel them into the ignore list. I come here for information and respectful fellowship. I have opinions and allow others the same right. Speaking of 'right', I'm a guy who leans a bit left and am often baffled when those of the opposite leaning are stuborn, when it comes to what I call 'reason'. But then I follow this sort of thread and all I hear are left leaning folks throwing away their reasonableness and respect for others views by stubbornness and pigheaded insistence on the arrogant veiw that their view is superior because it may be politically correct. I will always have protection in my home and on my boat. It's my right. And it's my choice. OK, the line for the ignore list forms to the right.
Old 17-11-2013, 21:32   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Smith & Wesson 686 P. 4” barrel is ideal. It shoots .357 caliber, but you can put .38s in it. The more powerful Magnum caliber easily passes clean through a deer. Has seven-shot capacity, but in the hands of a trained and calm-under-pressure person, you'll usually put the person down with the first shot. Very easy to use by male or female. Hope you never have to use it, but if you do, God help the person on the receiving end. But... let's face it, someone coming onto your vessel in the middle of the night probably isn't Santa Claus. If you want stopping power, this is the gun that gives you that. In fact, you're going to be shocked at how easy and smooth this gun is to fire, even when using .357 caliber. This isn't a gun that 'wounds.' It's a gun that removes body parts.

Scenario- you've shot the intruder that came onto your vessel in the middle of the night. Your family is safe and you've all calmed down. But when you take a look at the aftermath, it's possible that the blood and gore will freak you out. That can happen, of course, with any gun, depending on where you hit the intruder. I'm just telling you this because this gun is so freakin sweet and easy to use, you almost forget how much destruction it's capable of.
Old 17-11-2013, 21:42   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
I seem to remember some kind of "shredder" ammo for handguns... looked like a mini shotgun shell with a clear plastic cover where the round would be...

That should be pretty safe in a contained environment.

That's snakeshot. Good for, you guessed it, snakes. Though a faceful would suck. What you want is frangible ammo. I load DRT in my daily carry. It's the responsible thing to do, beats shooting some poor little kid through the wall of their house by accident. DRT activates on impact even with drywall. Also causes massive wound cavities with a high rate of lethality due to exsanguination. Frangible rounds are what air marshalls use on airplanes. There are many types. Only makes holes in what you shoot with it. Big ones. Makes my tiny .380 w/CT much more lethal than standard .380 too. The guys in the field call this stuff "dead right there".

Dynamic Research Technologies

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:00   #42

Boat: Seafarer 38
I have been really intrigued by the Rossi Circuit Judge on our boat for several reasons. I already have other guns, but a small caliber compact long gun has a lot of advantages. It's a single or double action revolver action, so it has five rapid shots of .410 buck or .45 Colt when you want them.

It's simple and reliable like a revolver. Comes in stainless. Doesn't have handgun legal issues in some states. Has a wide variety of ammunition and it's not cost prohibitive to shoot. Has more practical range than a handgun. Has more range when shooting .45 than a shotgun.

Anyone know of a downside to this gun for a boat gun?

Take a look: http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=
Old 17-11-2013, 22:10   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
I have been really intrigued by the Rossi Circuit Judge on our boat for several reasons. I already have other guns, but a small caliber compact long gun has a lot of advantages. It's a single or double action revolver action, so it has five rapid shots of .410 buck or .45 Colt when you want them.

It's simple and reliable like a revolver. Comes in stainless. Doesn't have handgun legal issues in some states. Has a wide variety of ammunition and it's not cost prohibitive to shoot. Has more practical range than a handgun. Has more range when shooting .45 than a shotgun.

Anyone know of a downside to this gun for a boat gun?

Take a look: Circuit Judge 45LC/410Ga 18.5' Stainless Bl Hardwood Monte Carlo Stk

That's niiice. I have a Judge, it and it's been a reliable piece. Excellent carry. This is clearly just an extremely modified Judge. Looks ideal for boat use to me. The 18.5" barrel length should make it more legal in more places. For traveling far though, I think older and simpler is better. This piece is too nice and too flashy. And with a barrel that long, a shotgun will be just as easy to handle. A proper 12 gauge shotgun. I don't think range needs to be a consideration for a boat piece, unless you intend to hunt with it.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:16   #44

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

To the guys who suggest rifles for boat defense, in what situation would the range of the rifle come in handy? I would imagine that in any kind of sea it would be really tough to take advantage of the extra reach. At night time, you're also limited by visibility.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:19   #45

Boat: Beneteau 41
The 410 revolver is an excellent self defense weapon. It does have a kick though. Even with .45 rounds. I love the JIC Mossberg 500 in mariner finish but the snub nose 38 is ideal in tight quarters with rat shot in the first chamber and the other 4 with plain hollow points or what have you. There are lots of options out there. Gotta love America. :-)

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
Closed Thread