Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 16:12   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Re: Gun Question

Treading in very softly here....

Rather than thinking about the weapon, think about your employment of the weapon. How will you use it and what is its purpose.

Respectfully disagree with having a shotgun. They are fine, but, inside the cabin, they will be cumbersome and have too much blast and noise. Outside the cabin, they are imprecise and cannot keep someone with an AR or AK standing off. A shotgun means that YOU will always be inside THEIR weapons employment range, while they are outside of yours.

SO....both ...a .45acp side arm and a 30-30 levergun would be a good recommendation.

For a side arm, I think more power is better than more rounds, on a boat. You want knock down power and power projection, if you need to fire into a nearby vessel. .45acp makes a bigger hole than a 9mm and if you need to use a side arm to protect yourself and your crew....a bigger hole works better, whether it is a bad guy or their boat.

For stand off, a 30-30 can deliver more ft lbs of energy than a .223 or 7.62x39 at greater distances. They are accurate and so, you can keep an adversary standing off, outside their ideal weapons employment envelope. That is your best strategy if things are very bad and help is a long ways off (such as when cruising).

A levergun is probably legal in all 50 states and does not have the restrictions that a semi-auto long gun has, in terms of possession. Also much cheaper (you can still get a Marlin 336 at WM for $387)

Anyway....really trying to keep this strictly in the lane of the best choices for protection while cruising on a boat.

And honestly, hope this helps

Respectfully,

J
ps - regarding shotguns....inside 25 yards, 00 buckshot is going to spread out about the size of a fist. If you are a handgun owner, who practices regularly, you can do that with a 45. Obviously, inside and around your boat, the distances are so short, handgun accuracy is not an issue, an shotgun spread pattern is not an advantage. Outside the boat, a levergun with a red dot will be SO much more accurate than a shotgun. just food for thought.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:14   #17

And on the feminine side, my wife loved our M500 defender. Found it not too heavy, easily collapsed to her frame and was a great shot. Granted she was is a country girl that was in the Army so not your everyday type gal
Old 17-11-2013, 16:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
Treading in very softly here.... Rather than thinking about the weapon, think about your employment of the weapon. How will you use it and what is its purpose. Respectfully disagree with having a shotgun. They are fine, but, inside the cabin, they will be cumbersome and have too much blast and noise. Outside the cabin, they are imprecise and cannot keep someone with an AR or AK standing off. A shotgun means that YOU will always be inside THEIR weapons employment range, while they are outside of yours. SO....both ...a .45acp side arm and a 30-30 levergun would be a good recommendation. For a side arm, I think more power is better than more rounds, on a boat. You want knock down power and power projection, if you need to fire into a nearby vessel. .45acp makes a bigger hole than a 9mm and if you need to use a side arm to protect yourself and your crew....a bigger hole works better, whether it is a bad guy or their boat. For stand off, a 30-30 can deliver more ft lbs of energy than a .223 or 7.62x39 at greater distances. They are accurate and so, you can keep an adversary standing off, outside their ideal weapons employment envelope. That is your best strategy if things are very bad and help is a long ways off (such as when cruising). A levergun is probably legal in all 50 states and does not have the restrictions that a semi-auto long gun has, in terms of possession. Also much cheaper (you can still get a Marlin 336 at WM for $387) Anyway....really trying to keep this strictly in the lane of the best choices for protection while cruising on a boat. And honestly, hope this helps Respectfully, J
When you consider knock down power, also consider bullet velocity and pass through. A .45 ball round will likely go through the person and most likely your boat and hull too. If I was doing a handgun a 9mm with hollow points would be the only option. Otherwise I,d always want to shoot up which means I'm on my back. Not a position I care to be in.

Chances are also astronomically slim that someone is boarding your boat with an AR or AK. Likely they have nothing, a knife, MAYBE a 9mm. Any one of those and hearing a shotgun chamber in the dark will make anyone piss themselves and jump overboard.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:25   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Actually, respectfully, the reverse is true. A 9mm round has a smaller cross section and travels at considerably greater speed than a .45acp. It has much more penetration potential.

In a life or death situation, penetration is not my concern, I will be aware of what is behind what I am shooting. If it is a concern, just use hollowpoints.

As for who might be boarding, not really concerned about the guy coming with a knife....AM concerned about the guy with the AK. They are ubiquitous worldwide. And that guy is the guy who will be serious. So...that is what you plan for. for planning purposes, the guy with the knife is a non-issue.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Just for the sake of argument I'd have to pick a handgun, something like a 9mm Glock or equivalent. The weapon is no good to you or your wife if it is not quickly accessible in the middle of the night, ......
Now, I am thinking possibly both a handgun and a shotgun. It's the middle of the night thing that may be the most important thing.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:39   #21

Boat: Catalina 30
I carry a 380, not because it is effective but because caring it is easy. It is like motorcycle gear. What's the best helmet, the one that you will actually wear.

As far as an onboard gun, on long trips I bring my .45 I keep next to my bed with me. Not easy to carry but it will really get the job done.

As far as a shotgun, unless your willing to to lug the thing to the range at least every six months like the wife and I do with the .380 and .45 I see it as not a good choice. I have an 870 and it sits in the gun safe, just not a practical weapon to stay proficient with.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:43   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
Actually, respectfully, the reverse is true. A 9mm round has a smaller cross section and travels at considerably greater speed than a .45acp. It has much more penetration potential.

In a life or death situation, penetration is not my concern, I will be aware of what is behind what I am shooting. If it is a concern, just use hollowpoints.

As for who might be boarding, not really concerned about the guy coming with a knife....AM concerned about the guy with the AK. They are ubiquitous worldwide. And that guy is the guy who will be serious. So...that is what you plan for. for planning purposes, the guy with the knife is a non-issue.
How about a machete?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...112685-26.html
Old 17-11-2013, 16:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So you're worried about taking your carver somewhere in the world and being attached by some AK carrying fisherman?

I think you need to stay in Texas. The real world would blow your mind.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:50   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So you're worried about taking your carver somewhere in the world and being attached by some AK carrying fisherman?

I think you need to stay in Texas. The real world would blow your mind.
Actually, the OP said he be traveling only in US waters, specifically east coast inland waterways. Someone else brought up the AK.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:58   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I see, I'd like to see any news story of a boater in US waters needing to lawfully defend themselves with a weapon.

Why do you you need to bring your xenophobia and fears along with you on the waterways?
Old 17-11-2013, 17:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I see, I'd like to see any news story of a boater in US waters needing to lawfully defend themselves with a weapon. Why do you you need to bring your xenophobia and fears along with you on the waterways?
Not sure how it affects you at all....unless you plan on boarding other peoples boats in the US...
Old 17-11-2013, 17:24   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Yes, it is a big ask. This is a serious cruising question. I plan on starting my cruise in 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. I am neither young nor large, which could make me an easy target.

I do have a big ask for you though: Please be the thread cop and ask the moderators to remove all offenders or the thread itself. Until then, all is good.
you seem amicable and reasonable
I urge you to look at death of Sir Peter Blake who sailed more miles in a few months than we,ll do in a lifetime
good luck
Old 17-11-2013, 17:42   #28
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
This requires the peep getting too close to you. Ask George Zimmerman how he faired.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
Old 17-11-2013, 18:04   #29
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

I know there is no one weapon that will fit all of the categories like a fully automatic shotgun the size of my walley - which is really small.

Saiga 12 fully dressed with 20 round drum mag. Load alternating buck and slug. And get a bigger wallet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	70643  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 17-11-2013, 18:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
When you consider knock down power, also consider bullet velocity and pass through. A .45 ball round will likely go through the person and most likely your boat and hull too. If I was doing a handgun a 9mm with hollow points would be the only option. Otherwise I,d always want to shoot up which means I'm on my back. Not a position I care to be in.
I seem to remember some kind of "shredder" ammo for handguns... looked like a mini shotgun shell with a clear plastic cover where the round would be...

That should be pretty safe in a contained environment.
Closed Thread