Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 12:03   #91

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Under what circumstance do you expect a rifle to be appropriate?

Partly for deterrence (easier for a perp wannabee to realilze a potential victim is actually armed, compared to handguns). But some rifles recoil less than many shotguns, so those are often easier to control and less painful to shoot... less likelihood of flinches, etc. And they're often easier to aim and follow through more effectively than with handguns and some shotguns.

Chambering choice wouldn't be limited to traditional or newer "rifle" cartridges; several are chambered for what are often thought of now as "pistol" or "revolver" cartridges.

-Chris
Old 18-11-2013, 12:32   #92

I keep a Rem 870 Marine 12 G and a sig 229 that can take 40 or 357sig. When I am crossing from Florida I keep the gun in holster in sight so any boat that gets close can see what I have. As a former Law enforcement office I agree with being able to protect your boat and family. The Sig is what CCP and navy seals use because it can take a good beating, just clean it and use lots of oil. When stowed cover in CLR and put it in a air tight baggy as well as all your stored ammo should stay in baggy that you can get to fast. The 870 Rem Marine is made for the environment but you should keep it oiled and the ammo is cheep. Replace all ammo every six months. Make sure you know the customs rules in the country your entering and have two safe places to look the guns up and Ammo up in another place that both can be locked. Some places will just have you declare the guns and all the ammo in and out. Some will take it from you for your full visit but make sure your get a signed recored that has you Serial number on it as well as the amount of ammo. Never give then gun parts or ammo, this could be constitute as bribery or selling with out a lic. Make the gun the first thing you claim and do it via cell phone if possible so they know your coming, believe it will get their attention and if you were going to have to wait you will be the first they see. Also remember if your asked to be bored by CCP or USCG as well as any other country's equivalent always make it the first ting you tell them that you have on board, DO NOT wait for them to ask, they do not like surprises. Always go to a county's customs web site to check the guidelines for any weapons.
If you are a Law enforcement officer carry your ID but do not expect that to give you special treatment, some like to let you know that your only a guest in their country. If your not a LEO but have a CWP then carry that.
My last advice is your weapon is only as good as how you have practice with it. Do not just toss it on board and think your safe.
Good luck with your travels and be safe!
Old 18-11-2013, 12:37   #93

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
One last comment I'd like to make if you are considering a pump action shotgun for home or boat defense: Unless you are a very skilled and practiced skeet or trap shooter or ex military experienced with a shotgun having fired thousands of rounds, you won't remember to rack the gun before or after the first shot in a panic situation. If in doubt, just try this next time you're at the indoor range or at home with snap caps: Place the shotgun loaded and unracked on the ground with the safety on in a darkened room. With multiple targets set up, pick up the gun as fast as you can while someone turns on the lights and try to hit or even fire at one of them. Most people can't even fire the gun once. They'll either forget to take it off safety, fail to rack the shotgun, fail to rack it completely or miss the trigger... myself included. There's something about the panic, darkness, confusion and handling ammo that makes this exercise very difficult. Of course, don't do it with live ammo at home. Snap caps are dummy ammo. At the range, try it with live ammo if permissable in a safe setting.

Dry firing the shotgun for practice isn't good enough to show what you'd actually do in a panic... You need to practice running actual ammo through the gun, either snap caps or live in a safe setting.

The results will surprise you.
I love this post by Kenomac!!! From personal experience, everything happens at lightning speed. for the record, I am female, and yes I carry weaponS. Meaning more than one. You better know in your mind exactly what your reponse should be without doubting you actions. I personally like the Mossberg Mariner 12 guage, with pistol grip as well as a Taurus Millenium Pro 9 mm for quick up close work because it is small and easy to hide.. I needed to use the 9mm one night. I sleep with it near my pillow, chambered without safety on. I fired a warning shot (very important with authorities) but if they keep coming, aim for the legs which is next to impossible in a life or death situation. Next, two choices. Flee or stay. If it is an uninhabited location.....my vote is for flee. In my case, I had to face the music with authorities. After months of beauocratic crap and MONEY I was free and yes, one of my assailants died, the other wounded. Yes, I still carry weapons and yachties who vote no arms are extemely naive and lucky. A few inches lower and the machete cut for the woman in the grenadines would have been fatal.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:39   #94

Boat: Irwin sloop

Having fired a 12ga. in the salon aboard a 34ft. sloop I found the sound and muzzle flash eliminate the possibility of further communication with the offender. A seized firing pin discharged the round as I chambered it. The offender, I suspect it was a raccoon, found it's own way out. The portlite however was a goner. I retired the old shotgun and now have a stainless PPK in .380. My thinking is the use of deadly force must remain within the confines of my boat, and only as a last resort.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:41   #95

Boat: Leopard 40

I had this discussion not long ago and was told a 40 gage shotgun was the best option.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:43   #96

Boat: Leopard 40

It's not true that "no one is allowed to have guns in Europe." Are they highly regulated yes. Is one required to go through a training course, yes. But the fact remains that guns are still allowed.
Old 18-11-2013, 14:19   #97

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Having fired a 12ga. in the salon aboard a 34ft. sloop I found the sound and muzzle flash eliminate the possibility of further communication with the offender. A seized firing pin discharged the round as I chambered it. The offender, I suspect it was a raccoon, found it's own way out. The portlite however was a goner. I retired the old shotgun and now have a stainless PPK in .380. My thinking is the use of deadly force must remain within the confines of my boat, and only as a last resort.
Good thing it wasn't pointed at the sole.
Old 18-11-2013, 14:45   #98

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Well, if you are going to be at sea, how about a Sea Service Musket:

Old 18-11-2013, 15:57   #99
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The difference of opinion on firearms is simple to understand when you consider that in Europe, nobody is allowed to have them. This means that only the bad guys have them and that leads to the association of guns with the bad guys. Most will even believe that a gun makes a killer out of an otherwise nice guy.

This all makes sense, until one realizes that in Europe they still love movies about Zorro, Robin Hood, Star Trek etc. where apparent good guys have the weapons/guns. May be they think it is a fantasy that good guys have guns.

What I know for sure is that Europeans who did have guns, for their job or for sports (I did for both), have no such problems with guns. It must therefor be the unfamiliarity with them that makes the difference.
There is no problem generally in Europe in a adult person getting a licensed firearm. Including having one on board a boat. But the public attitude and LEO attitude make such an activity very rare.

Keep the discussion to the states , don't slag off your countrymen Nick

Ps. Would you recommend DA or SA handguns.

Dave
Old 18-11-2013, 16:53   #100
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I love how anti-gun non-American citizens think they have the duty to comment on a thread that doesn't pertain to them at all just to put people down in an attempt to make themselves feel better.

Seems to be childish, immature and counter productive to me.

Then again, I value rational thought.
It's called the world wide web - so it includes the bits outside the USA.

If OP wants to restrict comment to only (white? ) folks in the USA then I suspect that he needs a Tea based forum, rather than a sailing one .
Old 18-11-2013, 17:10   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It's called the world wide web - so it includes the bits outside the USA. If OP wants to restrict comment to only (white? ) folks in the USA then I suspect that he needs a Tea based forum, rather than a sailing one .
My comment below that about not needing to comment in a thread with which you have no helpful information also stands.

But hey, thread diversions are the norm for people who just like to hear themselves talk.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:12   #102

And in reference to the World Wide Web comment, if someone posted a thread about wanting info off the rocky patches of rainy land off England, I wouldn't feel the need to tell them that area sucked and they should come down here to the VI. It obviously doesn't help the OP, nor the people trying to have a rational discussion.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:21   #103

Quote:
It's called the world wide web - so it includes the bits outside the USA.

If OP wants to restrict comment to only (white? ) folks in the USA then I suspect that he needs a Tea based forum, rather than a sailing one .
Wow, maybe this is the winner for most useless, arbitrary, off-topic insult.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:39   #104

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
...If OP wants to restrict comment to only (white? ) folks in the USA then I suspect that he needs a Tea based forum, rather than a sailing one .
Whites only would be Tea Party.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:40   #105

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Although I don't have military experience, a half lifetime of hunting in the Canadian wilderness and about 10 years working on a cash buyer in the PNW aboard a fish packer where we were carrying between $20K and $50K in cash made carrying a full time occupation. At night we all had a sawed off 12 gauge beside our bunk and practiced regularly from the deck. Only were ever boarded twice in 10 years and only one shot was fired. Turned out the intruder was deaf and didn't hear the rack! Nearly cost him his life but the warning shot missed most of his major body parts.
When we were cruising but now live in bear country where intrusions can be relatively common, a sawed off pistol grip 12 gauge with two rounds of 000 buck backed up by one slug then one more round of 000 buck and the rest slugs will scare off most intruders, two legged and four legged, and if things get serious the slugs are a real deterent. Remember that blood from a shotgun blast can be a lengthly process to clean up! Other posters have stressed the importance of familiarizing yourself and your partner with the operation of the firearm which is critical! In an enclosed space, like a cabin, the sound is deafening both to you and the intruder. Not sure of the variety of laws on the east coast but would certainly be worth looking into if you're cruising those waters. Any plans on going to Mexico, jail time if you are caught with firearms or ammo... just sayin'... Phil
Closed Thread