Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 04:36   #166
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post

I think that for serious purposes, you are better served with DAO. Many/most LEO are now in this camp, as well as most serious training authorities. Fine motor skills go away with adrenalin, so a light trigger is not only of little use, it can work against you. DA or DAO is less likely to result in an AD. With proper and sufficient training, either (SA or DA) can serve well. Training is crucial!
Tks I have a SA with a fine lightweight consistent break competition trigger. Not good on a boat I suspect

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 04:39   #167
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

My wife's Ruger 22 pistol will occasionally jam when using low velocity (subsonic) Remington cartridges.
When it's gone, we're sticking to known good stuff.
I know its fussy about brands. I find CCIs to be good , especially copper coated

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 04:45   #168
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post

With a .22 your ammunition is very important. There is quite a difference between CCI Velociter ammunition and cheap bulk or subsonic ammunition.

With .30 rounds in an easily swapped out magazine, the .22 would be enough in my mind, though not as comforting as something a bit larger. Take a phone book and shoot it at close range with a few bulk rounds and then again with some high power target rounds.

.22 caliber has the advantage of not attracting customs attention I imagine, but your silencer would be illegal in the USA in many states, and even in the ones where it isn't, it requires a special license and paying large fees.

As to DA vs SA? I like SA. I think most police forces are no DA only because they are afraid of lawsuits (the same reason police issue revolvers remove the SA option from the hammer). My personal accuracy is much better with a SA handgun.
Tks where I now live , silencers are not particulary difficult to licence except on handguns , we get then under Heath and safety regulations ( hearing etc !!)

What Iike about the ruger and other lightweights is quite good magazine capacity , cheap ammo , hence got can get good stuff ,

I agree re WMR, I might change the gun to handle that. I want to trade the ruger anyway

Yes I use a SA handgun in competition so that's the defining reason.

But all said an done , a Mossberg pump is a great compromise. Major stopping power , easy on the LEOs , robust and reliable if a little cumbersome

I had an semi automatic shotgun but I don't like the safety issues.

All in all I don't sail anymore with firearms , but that's got nothing to do with this thread

I don't even hunt anymore so a lot of this debate is just for interest for me.

Dave
Old 20-11-2013, 04:47   #169
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

No, it's just so we can delude yourselves that we can.
There's a truism.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:06   #170

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Re: Gun Question

I have a S&W snub nose 38 and a American Arms 380 both in stainless steel

I agree with the Mossberg 500 but get the Marine model. It is not stainless steel
but has a more protective finish.

I only carry SS weapons on my boat, although some of the Plastic guns(Glock)
are pretty rust resistant. I just don't like Plastic guns.

I think a Kimber 45 is a great boat gun. It also comes in Stainless.
Old 20-11-2013, 07:32   #171

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
This whole conversation is crazy. All of this effort and technology to kill other people?
Perspective is an interesting thing.

Thread drift warning.

We had a shooter here in the States at a mall. He was doing his thing and came out of an access corridor to find himself with a ccw permit holder pointing his gun at him. As he did not want to be captured the shooter took his own life. The ccw guy never fired. What went on at the mall in Kenya? Do they have a right to carry?

I look at having cc as being a form of civic responsibility. Otherwise call 911 because police are just minutes away when the danger is seconds.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:01   #172

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Five seveN slugs. You don't want any of this...

I don't want any kind of projectile in my body. I've been shot before and don't intend on collecting anymore metallic bits that way.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:27   #173

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Sadly no one is giving you the information you need so here it is.

When I served in the military the M1911A would consistently jam more than a time or two, even the Beretta 9 and Mossberg Shotgun would malfunction - that's not a good thing my friends. That's why I always had my .357 revolver as a sidearm. I’d take my bare hands over many of these folks chooses because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Consider reliability and effective use in stress. Your revolver will fire wet, cold, dirty and half broken, left or right handed, lightweight, responsive and agile, requires no magazine, has a heavy trigger to prevent inadvertently discharging during high stress, lower muzzle smoke to see better, they can hide well and last but not least can bring the needed discomfort to stop any man or beast. I can’t stress this enough, but placed in a “high adrenaline” event where time is “critical” you need TRUST, not magazines and a million bullets.

I can go into more details about how a revolver wins time and time again (in close quarters - for the ADD readers) against almost any other weapon out there but for now remember to teach your wife to double tap and aim for center mass – no head shots please. Also always be aware of your target - no false shots! The dumb ass shooting at something he thought was a burglar, is who gives gun owners a bad name.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:47   #174

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
Sadly no one is giving you the information you need so here it is. When I served in the military the M1911A would consistently jam more than a time or two, even the Beretta 9 and Mossberg Shotgun would malfunction - that's not a good thing my friends. That's why I always had my .357 revolver as a sidearm. I’d take my bare hands over many of these folks chooses because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Consider reliability and effective use in stress. Your revolver will fire wet, cold, dirty and half broken, left or right handed, lightweight, responsive and agile, requires no magazine, has a heavy trigger to prevent inadvertently discharging during high stress, lower muzzle smoke to see better, they can hide well and last but not least can bring the needed discomfort to stop any man or beast. I can’t stress this enough, but placed in a “high adrenaline” event where time is “critical” you need TRUST, not magazines and a million bullets. I can go into more details about how a revolver wins time and time again (in close quarters - for the ADD readers) against almost any other weapon out there but for now remember to teach your wife to double tap and aim for center mass – no head shots please. Also always be aware of your target - no false shots! The dumb ass shooting at something he thought was a burglar, is who gives gun owners a bad name.
+1

Unless you are enthusiastic enough to make the effort to train for fail to fire and stove pipes in addition to investing the time, effort and money to condition your weapon to prevent those things. Revolvers fit the bill.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:52   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
Sadly no one is giving you the information you need so here it is.

When I served in the military the M1911A would consistently jam more than a time or two, even the Beretta 9 and Mossberg Shotgun would malfunction - that's not a good thing my friends. That's why I always had my .357 revolver as a sidearm. I’d take my bare hands over many of these folks chooses because most don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Consider reliability and effective use in stress. Your revolver will fire wet, cold, dirty and half broken, left or right handed, lightweight, responsive and agile, requires no magazine, has a heavy trigger to prevent inadvertently discharging during high stress, lower muzzle smoke to see better, they can hide well and last but not least can bring the needed discomfort to stop any man or beast. I can’t stress this enough, but placed in a “high adrenaline” event where time is “critical” you need TRUST, not magazines and a million bullets.

I can go into more details about how a revolver wins time and time again (in close quarters - for the ADD readers) against almost any other weapon out there but for now remember to teach your wife to double tap and aim for center mass – no head shots please. Also always be aware of your target - no false shots! The dumb ass shooting at something he thought was a burglar, is who gives gun owners a bad name.
Agree 100% and addressed in the early pages of the thread. The primary concern however regarding the .357 mag for cruising, is the legal issues the OP will encounter cruising up and down the Eastern USA with it being a handgun. The other concern the OP expressed was for easy of use for his "feminine side" being his wife. My wife will not practice with her S&w 340pd or 642 due to the 11 pound trigger pull and sharp recoil even with .38 specials. My primary choice like yours for cc is my 340pd loaded with .357 mag, but I can only legally carry while in my home state and the adjacent states... Doesn't do me any good while cruising.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:38   #176

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Thanks I did over look the legal aspects somewhat with respect to a hand-gun but then again it hides very well. I'm just more or less trying to underscore the Reliability, Trust and ease of operation. A .357 is not the only revolver made as I am sure you all know. His wife may be fully capable of operating it - but who knows perhaps some other caliber would be a better fit.

The standard shotgun is almost out of question in my opinion because close quarters makes it a tough one to gain an advantage with (perhaps underscoring why this gun remains legal) at least on my boat it would be very hard to turn around in an "event". My concern would be not seeing where the perpetrator is entering (half awake, dark, cold, wet, rain, uncertain if its a frog farting etc) as you listen in the dark and then you are surprised from the rear could you swing that thing around?

Test this with a broom handle on your ship and see if you can swing it around fair enough. Another issue is walking a street in the dark - shotgun brings a lot of trouble a revolver is tucked away in TRUST.

While operating on ships I easily disarmed individuals with shotguns, rifles and long guns alike due mostly to the lack of mobility. Ultimately training is a key factor but lets face it most women want to be romanced not trained in the art of killing or shooting a multi-part weapon (teaching stove pipe failures to a romantic type of a woman is difficult). Thus again my recommendation of a simple, trusty revolver remains.

I don't enjoy weapons by the way - too much killing on this planet.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:32   #177

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
More cruisers are gonna die from peeing off the transom than from attacks or piracy, but as long as one has a catheter in place, I guess it's ok to worry about other threats as well.
I don't disagree with this statement. The problem I have with the "gun" issue is that when you say you should wear a harness when on deck alone so you don't fall off and drown, no one calls you crazy or says you are being over cautious. Most actually view this as prudent despite the fact that the numbers of people that drown by falling overboard while pissing off the transom are astronomically low. As soon as you say you want a gun to defend yourself the name calling begins.

We have all read stories of boats being boarded at night. Some of these have ended tragically. There are many things we can do to lessen the chances of these events turning tragic. Again, there are many threads where people discuss having bars made for hatches and the companionway. This is one tool for preventing a tragic situation. A gun is another tool to do the same.

A gun is simply a tool. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Personally, I had given up the idea of carrying a gun when we head out cruising because of all the laws and trouble with customs. After reading this I am now rethinking if a better idea is to bring a 20 gauge shotgun and a Ruger 10/22. We plan to sail the east coast, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Any experience anyone can relay in those areas with declaring shotguns and rifles while going through customs would be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Old 20-11-2013, 11:33   #178

Boat: grampian 26

Verily I say unto you, they shall beat their Glocks into Rocnas and their Mossbergs into boat hooks.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:51   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
The problem I have with the "gun" issue is that when you say you should wear a harness when on deck alone so you don't fall off and drown, no one calls you crazy or says you are being over cautious. ... As soon as you say you want a gun to defend yourself the name calling begins.

We have all read stories of boats being boarded at night. Some of these have ended tragically. There are many things we can do to lessen the chances of these events turning tragic. Again, there are many threads where people discuss having bars made for hatches and the companionway. This is one tool for preventing a tragic situation. A gun is another tool to do the same.

A gun is simply a tool. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
We have all read stories of boats being boarded at night.
We have all read, over and over, the VERY FEW stories of boats being boarded at night. We also read about "Kardashians" (whatever those are). Human nature.

Of all the things you mention, only the gun injures/kills if used correctly. And too few can use them correctly, or will use them correctly when awoken at 3am by an unexplained bump. And just by their presence, your boat would become more attractive to thieves.

So, I think that elevates the gun to more cautious, critical consideration as a useful boat tool.

Anyway, both you and I know that gun threads more often as not become dog-whistles for re-fighting the whole US gun issue, as proxy for some deeper political beliefs.

This thread demonstrated to me that a relatively calm discussion on guns can be held on CF, but even here the dogmas occasionally leaked in. It would be like if, in a harness thread, someone goes off about "harness = nanny state" or some such twaddle.
Old 20-11-2013, 13:12   #180

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We have all read, over and over, the VERY FEW stories of boats being boarded at night. We also read about "Kardashians" (whatever those are). Human nature.
Well people get boarded all the time, it's just usually drunken mistakes. Not that I have ever been a party to such shenanigans.

And who are these "Kardashians" you speak off? (Boy do I wish that was a truthful questions. Why the F are they house hold names?)