Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 09:45   #1

Greece Turkey - Ball Park Costs Of Living Aboard

Looking to sail the eastern med, specifically greece and turkey. Any one out there help with the wide ranging topic of "costs". (liveaboard budget fashion £1,000 p mth) From diesel to food to marina/harbour fees would be useful. 33 foot boat.
barry burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 23:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: greece turkey ball park costs living abord

We've been living aboard and cruising the Greek islands for four years now on a budget of £9000 a year. We manage fine as long as we do all maintenance ourselves and don't go into marinas. Luckily this area is blessed with fantastic sheltered anchorages many of which can also be used safely in the winter. Many of the town quays/harbours in Greece are free, although more charges are starting to become evident (a sign of the times). We have no problem getting water in cans in most places and provisioning is not an issue.

I can't comment on Turkey but I'm sure someone will be along to chip in.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46   #3

Boat: Fortune 30

We agree. In our experience if you do your own repairs, anchor almost all the time, don't eat out much and avoid stopping at the touriisty areas, you should be okay.

Eating out in Greece is fairly expensive. (Last summer we paid about 30 Euro for a meal for 2 including a couple of beers or glasses of wine) If you learn to limit your meals out you can save a fair bit. Marina fees vary. We try to check out the cheaper marinas in advance and use them for our provisioning/ water and fuel stops. Be aware that you may need to pay for your water in Greece if you tank up at a marina. Some of the islands have real water issues by mid summer.

No problems anchoring in Turkey, just make sure you have a holding tank and use it. Eating out is a little cheaper in Turkey too. Marinas tend to be expensive in Turkey but if you do your homework you can find cheaper places to tie up. For example there are many places where you can tie up to a restaurant for the night, if you eat there. These places will generally have water and electricity available so that you can top up your tanks and charge your batteries at no extra cost. Your Turkish Pilot book will point out these places.

Diesel is probably similar to prices at home. You can have a look here for an idea.

Rod Hekeil’s pilot books provide a marina fee scale to give you some idea of costs. You can also google any particular marina you are interested in. Many of them have websites with mooring rates advertised.

You can read our blog on Goeck here to get an idea of how we managed on a limited budget.
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29   #4

If you buy products at farmer's markets (or better yet, get Turkish friends to go to the markets with you because prices for Turks are cheaper), you can reduce that figure further.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:59   #5

Thanks all three of you that have replied. All useful info. I'm sure ths situation is a changing one regarding Greece and Turkey. Greece because it has to get it;s "financial" act together and Turkey because it is an up and coming country. For example when i first visited turkey the bank account there was offering 18% now it;s down to 7.5 however much more than here in blighty!

Have any of you sailed either in or out of Istanbul. any knowledge to empart?

I dont have Rod Heikell to refer to right now but currents in the Dardanelles? I hear tween one and 7 knots. So.....i mighty engine for a 30 foot yacht ! at least mighty reliable.

Presumably going against the "southerly" flow one hugging the shore would find it more manageable.?

I agree having a Turkish person along not only helps with bargaining but translating as well.

Thanks all.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry burton View Post
Thanks all three of you that have replied. All useful info. I'm sure ths situation is a changing one regarding Greece and Turkey. Greece because it has to get it;s "financial" act together and Turkey because it is an up and coming country. For example when i first visited turkey the bank account there was offering 18% now it;s down to 7.5 however much more than here in blighty!

I dont have Rod Heikell to refer to right now but currents in the Dardanelles? I hear tween one and 7 knots. So.....i mighty engine for a 30 foot yacht ! at least mighty reliable.

Presumably going against the "southerly" flow one hugging the shore would find it more manageable.?

I agree having a Turkish person along not only helps with bargaining but translating as well.

Thanks all.
Sorry I've never sailed in Turkey so can't comment. We were planning to go there one day but they keep making it difficult so we won't bother for now!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:21   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Sorry I've never sailed in Turkey so can't comment. We were planning to go there one day but they keep making it difficult so we won't bother for now!
Whats so difficult?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:17   #8

Boat: Fortune 30

Visa regulations and stiff beaurcracy for sailors:
Noonsite: New 90/180 Visa Regulation Explained

You NEED Rod Hekeill's pilot especially if you want to cruise around Istanbul. We have only sailed north as far as Kushadasi.
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry burton View Post

Thanks all.
We were sailing in the south of Turkey, but having travelled most of Turkish shoreline by car, here're my impressions: sailing out of Istanbul has its advantages: easy access to Black and Marmara Seas, and all the city views you get from the water. But there is a reason most Istanbulians that can leave the city to go south in the summer. Istanbul gets hot, sticky, muggy in the summer with all prevalent smog settling onto the city. Your boat wouldn't like that either with all the dirt settling on it.

Hugging the shoreline you will encounter a lot of fish farms, so have to watch out for that. Fish farms don't move much from year to year, so you could trace them on google satellite pics.

Having a Turkish person with you is a double-edged sword. You have to be confident that they are not pursuing their own interests at the expense of yours. Most Turkish along the shore speak some English or will find someone who speaks English at least a bit. Carrying a small phrase book (we have the one for $4.6 at Amazon: Collins Gem - Turkish Phrasebook: Collins UK: Amazon.com: Kindle Store) will really help, just learn the numbers

Just remember, that Turkish culture is about being helpful. They will try to help even if they don't know anything about the subject they're helping with. They will be insistent on helping you. Watch closely and if you see that the person is more likely to bring harm than good, stop them ["dur, dur" from the phrase book]. We had some things broken on the boat because we in the beginning we were too polite to shoo.

Enjoy the food, the culture, the history, and the nature - it's gorgeous!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Whats so difficult?
The uncertainty over the blue card scheme, the frequently changing visa requirements, holding tanks etc etc etc.

Maybe we'll head there on the flip side once they've sorted themselves out.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21   #11

Presumably holding tanks can be inserted and paid for, after all it is good for the environment, ( as long as when its all pumped out it is'nt moved a few miles up the coast and deposited back in the sea, sorry Mr Cynical paid a visit there. BUT what does happen to IT ALL?)

Blue card current status? Anyone.

Does anyone remember a time when people just went for it and got on with it? Have people not taken on a smattering of "modern neurosis" re making sure every thing is "OKAY" when we actually know that the best laid plans of mice and men etc etc.

There's a quote something like....."It's not what we do in the end that matters it's how we responded to the challenges along the way that stays with us."

barry b
Old 03-05-2012, 04:06   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry burton
Presumably holding tanks can be inserted and paid for, after all it is good for the environment, ( as long as when its all pumped out it is'nt moved a few miles up the coast and deposited back in the sea, sorry Mr Cynical paid a visit there. BUT what does happen to IT ALL?)

Blue card current status? Anyone.

Does anyone remember a time when people just went for it and got on with it? Have people not taken on a smattering of "modern neurosis" re making sure every thing is "OKAY" when we actually know that the best laid plans of mice and men etc etc.

There's a quote something like....."It's not what we do in the end that matters it's how we responded to the challenges along the way that stays with us."

barry b
No problems cruising turkey. Just go there.

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 13:29   #13

Blue card is somewhat enforced in Gokova, Gocek, and Olu Deniz near Fethiye during the season. And the most expensive Bodrum marina, Palmalife, in Yalikavak is strongly pushing it onto cruisers and making up a hype about it. But if you don't have it, remember: it's Turkey, not US. You talk, you explain, be friendly. Better yet, learn a few phrases in Turkish.

A lot of people say that Turkey has the best cruising grounds in the Med. Try it for yourself, don't sweat the small stuff. Even some bigger stuff is ok - most cruisers find it ok to cruise between the Greek islands and mainland Turkey without checking in or out (just don't forget to change the curtesy flag). People say that the best way to enjoy gorgeous Turkish coast is with cheap alcohol and pork from Greece.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13   #14

Thanks Dave and Katuisha for your replies.

I'm with you Dave.
Katuisha yes in my visits to turkey talking is always best to get round all problems and so far its worked well. Learning Turkish is a must i reckon.
They say a trilinguist speaks three languages, a bi linguist speaks two and some one who speaks only one is English.

I'd see it as a duty to dispel that semi truism.

Ta to all responses, just waiting for some money to come through then off to otur round the boat yards for a month to find the boat. Then i'll refer to all the threads and current info on purchasing.

as the Dalai Lama says, " first find what, then find motivation, then do."

He may be crazy as a fence post, but simple is always good.

Barry B
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58   #15

Try looking in Marmaris as well. Lots of boats there for sale. We got really good impression from Sunbird Turkey, a UK based company. Also, locals say that if you decide to go with Gino Group for boat buying, be careful with your money.

Tags
Greece, living aboard, Turkey