Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-06-2012, 03:29   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Greece Turkey - Ball Park Costs Of Living Aboard

Originally Posted by barry burton View Post
The rules regarding chartering seem stiff in turkey, my intention was to ask in advance for a small donation [25 per week) from crew members, sharing all other costs whilst on board. To my mind this is not "chartering" and how would anyone know anyway?
It doesn't matter that you think it is not "chartering" - it's what the authorities think it is that matters.

IMO (which also does not matter!) it is chartering - and that you are 100% relying on no one (who cares) finding out - whether that be the authorities off own bat, the competition or simply someone you have fallen out with (unhappy punter / other boat owner / local / whatever).

Personally if I was a legal charterer (local or not) I would be very active in tracking folks down operating "under the radar" and dobbing you in to the authorities - even if that meant helping officialdom decide to do "the right thing" with $$$ or the end of the day, I can either try to outcompete someone who has less costs than me - or remove them from my marketplace, by whatever means possible. It's simply business (so the CF "Play nice" rules don't apply )

However, I am not saying don't do it - just don't delude yourself that you are 100% legal, accept there is a risk and factor that in to your marketing and how you charge for "costs" (and the bit extra) and deal with unhappy punters (every business has them - whether they have genuine reason to be unhappy........or not!).

and remember that locals too have Mr Google .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Greece, living aboard, Turkey

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: