Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 14:59   #46

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl
Re: Graduating college, want to liveaboard in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I understand the source of reed1v's advise regarding these smells, but it's not an obligate condition for living aboard. I've visited boats with diesel smells, cat smells, head smells, rot, mildew and wet sour dirty clothing smells. I've also visited houses that were similar, but I understand reed1v's point that the potential for moisture in enclosed small spaces promote these conditions.

I would counter that this is an option and can be overcome with some care. My wife and I were living aboard as professionals for 32 years before retirement, including twenty years with our children aboard and we did not suffer from aroma problems.

Not always, but often the worst smelling boats that I have boarded, have been those that have been kept closed with no one aboard.

Once again, reed1V is right! Boats can stink, but it's not an unavoidable condition.
Agreed! But it does take some extra precaution to prevent the potential for odor.
I've been on a couple of boats that have that diesel/head odor that is not pleasant at all. And often times the owner may not be aware due to the constant exposure to same. Definitely do-able, but one must always be aware. Hats off to professional folks that can pull that one off!
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:00   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
My boat is extremely well maintained and smells sweet below, yet often times I catch a whiff of mildewy odor on my tee-shirts and underwear if they are not rotated often enough. I have detected "boat smell" on folks many times, and while not offensive to me in any way, I have to wonder what folks in a professional office might think of "the boat guy"...

Just things for this young fellow to consider in his decision.
Ok, I better back off from my claim that boats can always smell good with proper care and ventilation. My wife and I have lived aboard a good smelling boat for 44 years, but we've never spent a winter north of Florida. I'd better stick to what I know!
Old 05-02-2016, 15:07   #48

Quote:
Ok, I better back off from my claim that boats can always smell good with proper care and ventilation. My wife and I have lived aboard a good smelling boat for 44 years, but we've never spent a winter north of Florida. I'd better stick to what I know!
Funny that you should say that, because I assumed it would be more difficult to smell like a "fresh spring breeze" in a southern high humidity/heat environment. It is interesting to hear of other folks experiences in different areas.

I've only got 20 years into this gig, but for some reason [after reading this thread] I now realize that one of the first things I notice about someones boat is the smell.

Interesting...
Old 05-02-2016, 15:15   #49

OK, now you guys have me worried...how does one know if their boat smells nice or not? Drag a stranger below and ask them how it smells?

I had a lady friend over for dinner a couple of years ago, and the first thing she said when she got below was "wow, it smells really nice down here". Now I wish I had asked her what it smelled like...
Old 05-02-2016, 15:17   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Funny that you should say that, because I assumed it would be more difficult to smell like a "fresh spring breeze" in a southern high humidity/heat environment. It is interesting to hear of other folks experiences in different areas.

I've only got 20 years into this gig, but for some reason [after reading this thread] I now realize that one of the first things I notice about someones boat is the smell.

Interesting...
Well, there's another confession for me to make. We rarely stayed in Florida for the summers! We would either cruise to New England, the Bahamas or spend the hot summer in the Appalachian mountains. I like Florida, but I choose the best! My boat is usually in places where I can leave the hatches open.
Old 05-02-2016, 15:38   #51

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

EVERY boat stinks that has a holding tank system.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:40   #52

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
reed1v...

good advice..... but I was selfishly hoping he would patent a smart robotic anchor windless... on those cold nights in Boston where the ambient temperature will kill you on exposed flesh in 20 minutes... maybe his brain would work harder to get into a more Tropical climb by inventing a smart robotic windless....
I hadn't thought about the windlass, don't electric windlasses (winlasses? im an engineer not an English major) already exist? I have spent some time thinking about other autonomous systems for boats.
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:57   #53

wsbanard...

imagine being at a tough anchorage.... you are sailing alone... you have a smart windlass that is robotic... puts the chain away in the locker... senses when the anchor is hooked up on a oral head or stuck in the mud.. the robotic computer tells the engine and transmission to go forward to un-seize the anchor and all done with the push of one button... I get 10% for royalties when you get the patent.
Old 05-02-2016, 16:13   #54

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35

Quote:
wsbanard...

imagine being at a tough anchorage.... you are sailing alone... you have a smart windlass that is robotic... puts the chain away in the locker... senses when the anchor is hooked up on a oral head or stuck in the mud.. the robotic computer tells the engine and transmission to go forward to un-seize the anchor and all done with the push of one button... I get 10% for royalties when you get the patent.
I would be afraid to give control of the motor to a system with no spacial awareness. How about a system that does what you say but if stuck tells you that it is stuck, and then the skipper motors forward as needed. Its not as independent, but if you are pulling up your anchor I'm assuming you are planning on motoring out anyway so its not much more difficult and it would be much safer. 10% sounds fair to me
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 16:35   #55

OK.... your'e the expert.... we'll do model 2.1 with all the other automatics...lol
Old 05-02-2016, 16:38   #56

to me ....REAL robotics takes the place of a real human being.... but with the same or better judgement.
Old 05-02-2016, 16:47   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
EVERY boat stinks that has a holding tank system.
Now this is not true whether your in New England or Florida. I will concede that there is a smell at the effluent of the vent outside the hull when the head is pumped, but well kept plumbing systems with holding tanks do not smell!
Old 05-02-2016, 17:02   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Now this is not true whether your in New England or Florida. I will concede that there is a smell at the effluent of the vent outside the hull when the head is pumped, but well kept plumbing systems with holding tanks do not smell!
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 17:07   #59

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

My boat smells like maple bacon right now.

Now if I just had a robot to wash the dishes.

Had some locals aboard yesterday. First comment was, "Wow, your boat doesn't smell bad."
Old 05-02-2016, 18:26   #60

New England weather is fairly rough with lots of rain, fog, snow(like today), and sleet. A liveaboard boat will need to be closed up probably half the year, especially in winter to prevent freezeup at the minimum. Difficult to keep a closed boat and clothes from getting stinky. Cowls only work well if the boat is moving, and whatever system for ventilation is used will need to prevent moisture from entering below, keep the boat at a minimum temperature, and be secured against the Nor'easters that roar through the area. Almost impossible if one is not on the boat full time.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard