Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 04:50   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Good marina in the east Florida area

Im looking for a good marina in the east florida (Vero Beach, Ft Pierce, Stuart, Jupiter, could also be further north) area that has a liveaboard community. I am not going to liveaboard, but I prefer marinas that have a decent liveaboard community. I will leave the boat there until September (my boat is currently in Charleston SC), and of course I would like a marina with a good reputation in terms of hurricane preparedness.

I have a 5' 7" draft Passport 40.

Immediate access to the ocean is not important, but I prefer more coastal areas rather than completely inland (as would be the case with Indiantown for example).

Right now I love the marina Im in (St Johns Harbor in Charleston, SC), but I really want to be closer to more caribbean looking waters. It's important to understand I won't be permanently living on the marina, I would just store and go use my boat every month for a week or so. So Im flexible on location. Suggestions and thoughts are all welcome from people with experience in different marinas.

Good showers, laundry a must.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 05:07   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45
Re: Good marina in the east Florida area

We have stayed on board at Vero Beach marina several times for the weekend. I really liked it. There are quite a few full time liveaboards. Thedock master and staff were all super friendly, and so were the rest of the members of the marina that we met. It's also walking distance to a park, and you can easily bike or walk to the beach and restaurants.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 05:09   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

As for access to the ocean, I believe Vero beach marina is 12 or so miles from ft. pierce inlet
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 06:19   #4

Boat: Ontario32

Riverside in Ft Pierce is used by a mixed collection of sailors. It is a working Marina meaning you can do work on your boat. All within the guidelines of good ecology. Several friends keep their boats there when not using them during the summer. I think there is a Publix up the road not too far and West Marine may have moved. Other more knowledgeable mariners will add to the list.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 07:54   #5

Boat: Brewer 42

We spent a season in Stuart at Sunset Bay. Absolutely awesome marina, great staff & facilities. Very liveaboard friendly. Walking distance from downtown Stuart with great restaurants & entertainment.

Highly recommend.
Old 24-04-2017, 08:12   #6

Boat: Boatless

A little further north but has what you're looking for, Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:22   #7

The marina at Canaveral/ Merritt island is quite secure and there are some liveaboards there. I think it's called Harbor Island but may not be any more. It is total enclosed on a canal so no wave action is possible etc. Swimming pool and good little restaurant too. They have long term rates that aren't bad. I think it requires 60 or 90 day stay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1852-10.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	146163  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:31   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

City marinas in Ft. Pierce and Edgewater are both nice and reasonably priced. Edgewater is 30min + from blue water.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:38   #9

Marina at Ortega Landing in Jacksonville is great however it is at the Florida/Georgia line! The staff is wonderful, the facilities are very good and clean and there is a nice live aboard contingency.
Fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:37   #10

Boat: Vista 43

My boat has been at Sunset Bay in Stuart for the last two years. It is a fantastic marina, has a great liveaboard community and a great restaurant. It is also walking distance to downtown Stuart and a ton of great restaurants and shops. Sam, Matt, Nicole, Jason, Leann, Edward and Maria are great.

The downside is the water. It is up the St. Lucie River, about 6 miles from the inlet and the discharge from Lake Okeechobee is disgusting. The water is absolutely brown. When the divers come out of the water they immediately shower. We left to go to the Bahamas last summer right as the toxic green algae hit and it was disgusting.

We lived in the marina and loved it, I am sure you would too. There is a waiting list for winter season, so if you plan to come, better check soon.

We just bought a house in Vero, and the Vero marina seems nice, but I don't know much about it. There was an article in the local paper about a pier collapsing. Google "Pier collapse dumps woman into lagoon at Vero City Marina".

Fort Pierce City Marina and Harbortown both are nice. I have been to the restaurants there.

Good luck, and pm me if you want more info on Sunset Bay
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:22   #11

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'

Try Westland Marina in Titusville, Florida.
321-267-1667
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 13:09   #12

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Here's another vote for Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach. It's located in a beautiful park-like area just a block from downtown restaurants. The older north basin has fixed wood docks. Slips are large and easily accessed. The newer south basin has floating docks. Restroom, shower and laundry facilities are conveniently spotted about. Lots of liveaboards. Particularly in the north basin.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:28   #13

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

Merritt Island, Harbortown Marina.. Enter through Port Canaveral and follow the barge canal inland past the Banana River. Easy access to the Intracoastal and a short hop to the open ocean through the safe Canaveral Inlet.

Harbortown Marina | Merritt Island Port Canaveral Boat Storage & Fuel – Full Service Marina with Fuel in Merritt Island – Port Canaveral, Florida
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 15:09   #14

Boat: Passport 40

Thanks guys, this is EXACTLY what I needed. Now I can just go take a look at all of these (a much shorter list) and pick and choose. I love this forum.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 15:17   #15

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Thanks guys, this is EXACTLY what I needed. Now I can just go take a look at all of these (a much shorter list) and pick and choose. I love this forum.
Having had boats at most of the marinas mentioned, I would tell you that your boat would be best off at Harbor Town! Mine was there for a season and if were not for the fact my best friend lets me dock at his dock in Hobe Sound, I would be there still! Great people, great access, and only minutes from the inlet!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida