Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 08:55   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Going to Church

as a christian one of the things i miss out here is going to church on sunday mornings
when in the bahamas it was possible in some anchorages and had one of the best easter services ever in cat island at highway church of god

but in the spanish speaking countries it is a bit difficult - sooooo

did some checking and now if i have the internet and need high speed or so i can get john hagee sunday services from san antonio texas -

just my opinion
chuck
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:04   #2

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: going to church

How much success have you had gathering together with other Christians for Bible studies, fellowship groups, etc. in various anchorages? We are very active in our church and are in the planning stages for a transition to cruising in the next couple years.

Thanks
greg
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:05   #3

Boat: Tartan 30

What spanish speaking country is this that doesn't have a church in every community?
Old 22-07-2012, 09:32   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a catholic church here in la cruz with a huge bell to call folks to services and studies...many areas wherein catholicism is the major religion have churches that welcome everyone, doesnt matter their choice of organized religion--

christian is christian, doesnt matter the denomination. worship comes from within the soul, not from within a building.

my choice is open sea as a church--has all of the natural ingredients---not man made except the boat in which i sit for the experience.

oh poo--now i have started a riot....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
What spanish speaking country is this that doesn't have a church in every community?
I think with this question he cant find a Protestant Chruch..lots of catholic churchs in Latin places,but not a lot of places to worship Jesus as Christ..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a catholic church here in la cruz with a huge bell to call folks to services and studies...many areas wherein catholicism is the major religion have churches that welcome everyone, doesnt matter their choice of organized religion--

christian is christian, doesnt matter the denomination. worship comes from within the soul, not from within a building.

my choice is open sea as a church--has all of the natural ingredients---not man made except the boat in which i sit for the experience.

oh poo--now i have started a riot....
I have been told that in mexico the Churchs have secret(?) tunnels that connect the churchs together ,I witnessed(no pun intended) a group of catholics show up at every meeting going on between some converts to the protestant faith and disrupt said meetings with percision because of the tunnels..They told me that the people were devil worshippers because they were talking in tongues..It did sound a little strange ,but to each his own..I think like you about the chruch being in your heart not some gold clad building..DVC
Old 22-07-2012, 09:57   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

my only issue in the spanish speaking countries was i don't speak spanish - small problem in listening and learning and worshiping

chuck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 10:02   #8

Re: Going to Church

those we worship dont care in which language you follow--just that ye do.
they dont care if yer in a building--many worshipers havent buildings in which to protect selves from forces of nature when worshiping..doesnt even matter what brand religion owns the building--if there is a place you enjoy-- go there--is natural and good.
in spanish--do the things they do and go for it in your native tongue, even if is private in a group (public) setting....
Old 22-07-2012, 10:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
my only issue in the spanish speaking countries was i don't speak spanish - small problem in listening and learning and worshiping

chuck
Amen Brother...DVC John Hagey,all I have to do to here him is open my windows and I am in NC..LOL...
Old 22-07-2012, 10:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have been told that in mexico the Churchs have secret(?) tunnels that connect the churchs together
Those are just side branches off the main tunnel to the Vatican.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 10:38   #11

i think those tunnels would be cool to explore, if it were possible.
Old 22-07-2012, 10:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think those tunnels would be cool to explore, if it were possible.
The churches also have a code that they use with the bell ringing...In Somberete mex they would ring the bells at a certian time then the next church would ring there bells in a certain way and so on from one chruch to the other,when asked why they did it different everyday i was told it was some sort of code..there were five churches in all in this village and everyday they would ring the bells differently...DVC
Old 22-07-2012, 11:03   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My dear fellow cruisers, I believe the intent of the OP was to ascertain effective ways of being able to worship in a Christian church whilst cruising. I hope that the OP is able to ascertain such information without it turning into a discussion on personal choices of religion or otherwise. Please try to keep this thread on topic to avoid breaching this rule:

Quote:
Discussions about ... religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum
Just a friendly reminder!!

Regards,
Saucy x
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:06   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

To the OP:

Zee said it well that those we choose to worship are not affected by the place we worship in. Did you have a regular church you went to? Perhaps it does, as many do, archive their sermons, if you feel that you need someone to guide your spirituality. Perhaps you can get on the radio net and suggest a Sunday AM meeting with like minded. One of those (perhaps even yourself) may want to lead that meeting. A formal pastor/priest/rabbit/iman/shaman is not required to practice your faith.

Just my opinion. But I don't belong to a formal religion, so I may be off base
Old 23-07-2012, 11:16   #15

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

chuck
The nice thing about catholic churches (and lutheran churches) is they stand up and sit down in the same places.

Once when I was lonely in Costa Rica I went to church and felt right at home.

Now that I'm older I usually sleep through the Homily anyways.

When I was in Antigua, the BBC had sunday services but I guess that doesn't happen any more
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote