Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 11:25   #16
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Going to Church

Funny you mentined this because one of my habits as a professional travelwriter is to attend local churches, church suppers, festivals, bazaars. I am often alone and church is one place where a lone person will be welcome and safe. In many places church is the best and most of a hometown and you'll meet the real folks there. Just one example in relation to language difficulties. Having no car in Curacao, I asked where to find the nearest church and the woman said, "Come with me." She was wearing traditional Hindu dress so I was surprised when we ended up at a Pentecostal Christian service. She sat with the choir and, when others realized I could not understand Papiamentu, someone slipped in beside me and began translating into my ear.
Old 25-07-2012, 19:52   #17

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

christian is christian, doesnt matter the denomination. worship comes from within the soul, not from within a building.

my choice is open sea as a church--has all of the natural ingredients---not man made except the boat in which i sit for the experience.

oh poo--now i have started a riot....
Have to agree with zee here. I gave up on Sunday church services awhile ago. Now I just spend time with God every morning on the boat, and listen to an acquaintance of mine preach on the radio. I'm hoping that when I start cruising in a few years, I'll be able to organize some ad hoc Bible studies, as well as AA meetings while anchored. But then, that's not up to me...
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 20:50   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Have always thought of myself as a Christian, and for the exception of going to church for folks dying! I havent been to an organized church in 30 -40 yrs ! but I can't think of a day at sea when God did enter my thoughts !! at sunrise at sunset and all in between, theres so many things at sea to remind you of a higher being! Im not educated enought to express my thoughts and feelings at these times I wish I could. But everyday at sea I still know Im a christian man.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Have always thought of myself as a Christian, and for the exception of going to church for folks dying! I havent been to an organized church in 30 -40 yrs ! but I can't think of a day at sea when God did enter my thoughts !! at sunrise at sunset and all in between, theres so many things at sea to remind you of a higher being! Im not educated enought to express my thoughts and feelings at these times I wish I could. But everyday at sea I still know Im a christian man.
Fight the good fight, with all your might, crusader,crusader, lord of the realm...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:28   #20

Boat: Seaward 22

I'm Catholic and one of my hobbies while travelling is going to a Catholic church. I've really enjoyed it. I was totally unprepared in China when the priest said "the body of Christ" in english during communion.....I didn't know what "amen" was in Chinese
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:37   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I'm Catholic and one of my hobbies while travelling is going to a Catholic church. I've really enjoyed it. I was totally unprepared in China when the priest said "the body of Christ" in english during communion.....I didn't know what "amen" was in Chinese
My former girl friend is catholic and took me to Mid-night mass on Christmas while in Ensenada Baja California...We went to the church at the heart of the town ,cant remember the name,It was amazing,I had never been in a church like that when they were having serves..They told me that the priest had put gold leaf on the lower part of the columns so the very poor could reach it ,they were ignord for the most part,unless they got greedy,then a fellow would come along and shoo them away...Outside they were cutting Dynamite into small sections and throwing them against the walls and doors of any and all buildings..it was the best Christmas I had ever had...We partied had fun and met many wonderful people,then there was Feista in Feb. I belive...well,thats another story...wonderful places, wonderful people everywhere we goe...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 09:18   #22

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: going to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
christian is christian, doesnt matter the denomination. worship comes from within the soul, not from within a building.

my choice is open sea as a church--has all of the natural ingredients---not man made except the boat in which i sit for the experience.

oh poo--now i have started a riot....

I am going to +2 on Zee with this one!
On the first part, a true Christian understands this as it was the teaching of Jesus.

On the second part, I just feel the same way.

But if you are seeking like minded folks to get together with and discuss and practice these teachings....then make your own 'church'! One that floats! If you are a Christian then you already have a pastor in Christ.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 09:33   #23

Boat: Triangle 40

not too religious myself ,but when I was young(er), I fished with a skipper who would lay too every Sunday, hold his own service and spend the rest of the day in his bunk reading the Bible. Not being very churchy myself, I didn't absorb a lot but I did notice the rest of the crew seemed a little mellower from it. I've no idea what his denomination but not the same as the crews, still it had a positive effect. Whether Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, Hindu or whatever, a little spiritualism is a good thing. Now I've probable really started something.
fishtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 10:32   #24

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtrap
Whether Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, Hindu or whatever, a little spiritualism is a good thing. Now I've probable really started something.
Well said. A Christian might know this as "It is not what goes into the body that matters but what comes out." And I would think there is a similar message in whichever spiritual path one might choose....and it is a good one IMHO.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 11:33   #25

Boat: Haida 26

You know we do have a Christian sailing society right here on the CF. Just join the group, we do have a pastor within the group. We do need a lot more members to sign up. I'll try to get him to post a lesson each Sunday.
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 11:35   #26

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Bob & Connie, I knew that there was good in your words..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:19   #27

Boat: In between boats

I have found my religion upon the sea. I can touch, taste, feel and hear my God. I hear her song in the winds and the waves. On the days she shines bright and beautiful, she beckons me forward. On other days, she warns me to keep clear. She sustains me when hungry and carries me forward. Ultimately, she has freed my mind, heart and spirit from the trifles of man, politics and land.

Aye, my religion is sailing, and my God is the sea.

For any wondering, I have always referred to God as she. For there are only two thing I know that bring forth life and hope for tomorrow - God and women. Both are equally deserving of worship
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:50   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
I have found my religion upon the sea. I can touch, taste, feel and hear my God. I hear her song in the winds and the waves. On the days she shines bright and beautiful, she beckons me forward. On other days, she warns me to keep clear. She sustains me when hungry and carries me forward. Ultimately, she has freed my mind, heart and spirit from the trifles of man, politics and land.

Aye, my religion is sailing, and my God is the sea.

For any wondering, I have always referred to God as she. For there are only two thing I know that bring forth life and hope for tomorrow - God and women. Both are equally deserving of worship
Well said. It is much better to experience spirituality then being told by some 'authority' figure of what you should believe.

Nature does have a way of connecting to that inner spirit, if one listens.
Old 30-07-2012, 13:42   #29

When you have internet, you can also try Timberlinechurch.org they post every weeks sermon online!!

When our schedule gets the best of us we watch it online if we cant make it to the service.

Robert
TOYOTA61384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

paperbird -- you should bring some material with you as there is nothing down here to help - i would bet if you asked most places would provide an area for you for a bible study - and i would surmise that you may be surprised by the number of cruisers and even locals that may attend --
my problem is i have no materials and would not know where to begin - l am just not that smart as to how to lead it and questions and themes --

good luck and hope to see you out here soon

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote