Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2009, 21:57   #1

Go to BVI Before I Buy ?

Hey all, as most of you dream of the live aboard lifestyle, and some of you do already (jealous). My question is this, do you think it wise to rent in bvi or some where like that for a week or two to see how I like it before going any further in my quest for solidarity, peace and contentment?
Has any of you out there done the same thing? I feel like I need to either do it or get it out of my systom. As we all know dreams are sometimes better off left as dreams. People say get a house start a family live a normal life but after being in two wars in the USMC and serving in the NYPD for a long time I wanna start acting on some of these dreams. Tell what you think and give me the pro's and con's don't hold back....
BIG JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 01:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Can you tell us more?

It's hard to give advice without knowing more about you.

However, on the assumption that you are looking at a really serious ($50k+?) buy any action that slows the purchase and increases your knowledge is more likely to be good than not.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 01:28   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JOE View Post
solidarity, peace and contentment?
Well thats 3 things we don't have at the moment.

I don't think a boat gives you those. It comes from you. You can have it anywhere.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 02:04   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Big Joe - I flew to the BVI with two goals in mind: (a) to buy my liveaboard boat and (b) to take lessons on my (future) boat or a similar one for at least a week to see if I could handle the boat and enjoy myself at the same time.
I was fortunate to find a school offerring the ASA courses on a sistership to the one I ended up wanting to purchase and that week aboard gave me the confidence that my expenditures were not going to be wasted.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 04:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Big Joe - I flew to the BVI with two goals in mind: (a) to buy my liveaboard boat and (b) to take lessons on my (future) boat or a similar one for at least a week to see if I could handle the boat and enjoy myself at the same time.
I was fortunate to find a school offerring the ASA courses on a sistership to the one I ended up wanting to purchase and that week aboard gave me the confidence that my expenditures were not going to be wasted.
Big Joe, I predict you are going on a charter holiday got to be the way forward, have a good time with minimal risk to your capital incase its not what you wanted. Wonder if you can swing an out of season bargin, perhaps two weeks for the price of one, got to be worth a try as I can't believe the current financial situation in the US and Europe isn't hurting the charter boat industry.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 04:48   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hey, Joe.

I knew I wanted to do it, but my wife wasn't sure that she would be happy cruising long term. So we chartered a boat from Island Yachts in St. Thomas which was identical to the IP 380 we already owned and kept on the Chesapeake. After two weeks of cruising, my wife didn't want to go home.

Mission accomplished!
Old 16-10-2009, 06:10   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Definitely a sensible idea to charter before you buy. However, just be aware that the Virgin Islands (where I've lived and sailed for the last 18 years) is a bit like Disney World. The charter company will give you a clean, working boat, a comprehensive hand-over on its systems etc, and a good chart briefing on where to go, what to see. They'll even give you a friendly skipper for a day or so to hold your hand if you want. If anything goes wrong, they will come out to you in a chase boat and fix it. (and, yes, things can and most certainly do go wrong!).

So, after a week of dead easy line-of-sight navigation, a plethora of moorings balls so you dont have to practise anchoring, benign winds and seas (normally!) in the protected waters, always within sight of land and vhf distance to call for help, VISAR to rescue you if it all goes bad; you will most certainly fall deeper in love with the concept of cruising. Just imagine an afternoon on White Bay Jost Van Dyke, imbibing freely of Painkillers at the Soggy Dollar, leisurly motoring just round the corner to Great Harbour where you intend to spend the night partying at Foxy's....Oh, yes - This is the Life!! (Except of course that you actually do have to anchor in Great Harbour and the holding aint brilliant).

This, I suggest, is not "real cruising"!!! (Though its a lot of fun and has persuaded many a wife to join in a husband's dream) Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 06:24   #8

Well, going to the BVI's and renting a boat for a week is great fun but I'm not sure it gives you a true appreciation of boat ownership?

Maybe hook up with a local yacht club and sign on with a racing team? Learn the joys of sanding boat bottoms, repairing engines, humping sails around, sitting on the rail when it's 62 degrees and the spray runs down your back, be on a 3 on 3 off watch for a few days?

Umm never mind, go to the Caribbean...
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 08:49   #9

Good Morning,
Well to start I recently retired from the Police due to an injury which I first incurred over in Iraq in 03. I have a modest pension and when I buy I figure it has to be at least a 40' due to the fact that I'm 6'7" and don't fit in to many boats comfortably. "Zanshin", and "HUD3" have the same idea as what I was thinking, find a boat of similar size and go and see. but "BVIMATELOT" seems to suggest that bvi may be to cookie cutter for a real experience.
I do volunteer at a local yacht club and race on a J105 where I happened to crack a rib last week racing so as far as commitment I am out there. I even raced at Block Island this year with zero race experience and the boat I went on won for the week in there class. So I have some experience but not anything like you people. If BVI is the place to go for a couple of weeks when would be a good time and where would I find the best prices?
Old 16-10-2009, 08:52   #10

I'm surprised that since most of the posts mention BVI that you all don't have so kind of meet and greet week down there. If so I would gladly volunteer my services for some experience and the first rounds on me LOL.
Old 16-10-2009, 09:11   #11

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
BVI would be a great place to "kick off" your evaluation of the lifestyle.

It would allow you to have a greater feeling of security on a charter or possibly Better, an ASA type charter/ learning cruise.

BVI has many things to offer. You do Not have to follow the crowds to the tourist hang outs... but you can if you wish. You can also anchor out away from the herd in many locations. It is an easy trip to the USVI and only marginally more difficult to the Spanish VI. Depending on what season your visiting you can have very active sailing conditions such as with the Christmas Winds or the slower summer conditions assuming you avoid any really bad weather which is generally forecast well ahead of arrival.

You would find it difficult to charter single handed... most companies will not allow it. If you are in an ASA class that is no problem. Buy a boat and then do what you want.

If you go the BVI for a week or so to check things out... you should be on a boat while there not a land based accommodation or you will not get the feel your looking for.

I'll be back in the area as of early December. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 16-10-2009, 09:15   #12

A charter would be very good to see if you like the lifestyle, but it will be too short and easy to really find out. If you could crew with someone who is cruising for a couple of months it might be better... although then you'd have problem with being with other people on their boat.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 09:27   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I chartered a few different boats I was interested in over a few weeks period to get a better feel of what I wanted. For that, I believe a charter can be helpful. To get a feel for what cruising is like I believe a charter is much less helpful - maybe better than nothing but I doubt a BVI charter experience will provide you much understanding of cruising.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 10:03   #14

Hey gosstyla, where do you hail from? I agree with your comments about length of time and I would love to spend a month exploring but its difficult not knowing anyone and there experience and attitudes and social beliefs. I wish I knew some people that I could trust to be with for that length of time and not go crazy, you know what I mean?
Old 16-10-2009, 10:07   #15

Do any of you make plans to meet down south every year? I think there should be a conference or something and see how many folks wanna meet. Name the Island and the bar and call a date and see who bites. Hell I'll fly down and stay on land just to hang out and b.s. with all of you over a vodka n tonic just to listen to the story's

Tags
British Virgin Islands