Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 10:16   #16

Hey reality check, where in florida r u, I see your in real estate. Must be nice to live there and be able to sail away so close to the carribean.
BIG JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 10:22   #17

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Hi Joe.
I would suggest that you do not charter a boat from the bigger charter companies i.e. Moorings , Sunsail etc. for the following reasons.....
Their boats are for the biggest part, well maintained and they will be there to help you as soon as anything goes wrong.... rather try and see if you can charter a boat (and there are some.... check on the internet) from a boat owner down there.... a boat that is well used and not like a new fridge....that way you have to deal with those issues that he owner would have to deal with, should anything (if at all) does go wrong.
Also,
There are, from what I understand, boat owners that will swap or exchange their boat, for a week (or similar arrangement) for you house..... you live on their boat for a week and they come and live in you house for a week. ( i am looking into this arrangement myself)
Old 16-10-2009, 10:25   #18

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Take it slowly

Hi, Big Joe,
You've gotten some good advice above. The BVI is a great learning location and a charter boat will ease you into it. As with any lifestyle change, ( and you've been through several) the adjustment takes time even when you shove away from the land on an extended cruise. So don't be in a hurry. Chart a course of action to help you move in the DIRECTION of a DECISION: 1. charter with friends, 2. take an on board cruising course at a charter location, 3. crew on a short 2-3 day passage, 4. shop for a boat, 5. move on board, 6. shove off. This is a process that can take months to years. Along the way, you may decide it's not for you, and you'll be content because your decision was based on experience, or you'll love it and be ready for the continuing challenges that cruising offers.
Lady Circumnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 12:12   #19

Good advice vic thanks, apparently lady circumnavi has my dreams in mind, wow 4.5 years very cool. It takes alot of guts unfortunately I think I'm on my own here. Its kinda neat but scary to think about just dissappearing for awhile. It almost makes you feel irresponsible but its like its been calling me for a while now. The vioce of reason says settle down find a good woman have 2.3 kids and wait to die UUUGGH. Can you guys tell me your experiences and what costs are involved and anything you would have changed if you could go back.
Old 16-10-2009, 12:28   #20

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Joe, what I can tell you is..... if you do go to the BVI or anywhere in the Carribean for that matter... for a few weeks on a sailboat..... you'll never want to come back.
I lived in teh tropics for 4 years (Brazil though to the Carribean) and then lived in St Maarten for 2 years ........ have been asking myself ever since why I came to Canada (There is sleet falling outside as we speak).
Your best bet is, to charter that boat, give it a try and either let it take you where it wants to, or you have it out of your system.
Some people live it, other just cannot stand the idea of living the life of a gipsy...... I could, if I had the means, fly down there right now, on the next flight, and live the life....
So, give it a try, if it doesn't work out, you'll have the memories
Old 16-10-2009, 15:17   #21

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Listen to your heart. Most people tend to regret most those things they haven't done.
Lady Circumnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 15:49   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JOE View Post
Good advice vic thanks, apparently lady circumnavi has my dreams in mind, wow 4.5 years very cool. It takes alot of guts unfortunately I think I'm on my own here. Its kinda neat but scary to think about just dissappearing for awhile. It almost makes you feel irresponsible but its like its been calling me for a while now. The vioce of reason says settle down find a good woman have 2.3 kids and wait to die UUUGGH. Can you guys tell me your experiences and what costs are involved and anything you would have changed if you could go back.
I did what I was "supposed" to do. Mr. Responsible. Now new wife and I are moving to the boat we bought in the VI. If you have ANY thing in you that draws you to a boat a trip up the Drake is like crack - one hit and you are hooked. For a really surreal experience go to Fat Hog Bob's on Superbowl Sunday and watch the game on the big screens with a Rasta sitting beside you in warm beautiful setting and you will wonder why you ever lived any other way.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 15:55   #23

Maybe I'll meet you there mike
Old 16-10-2009, 16:06   #24

Hey reality check what do you think your weekly costs are minus libations of course
Old 16-10-2009, 16:08   #25

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Just sent you a PM in answer to yours but though I would post some of my thoughts here.

Sailing to the Virgin Islands FROM Florida is not a fun trip. Into the wind and seas most of the time and during the winter when most people want to go you would be heading into the Christmas Winds and that would not be any fun at all. You asked about time... that could be weeks or months.

One sailing slogan you will see repeated is that no ship goes to wind like a Boeing 747.

I as most people I know fly down and then do our sailing. Some on charters but also many like myself on our own boats we keep in the area often on the Hard during Hurricane season or when we have to return home to work.

Lots of potential as you gain experience in finding a method to join others for more extended sails but you would always be on another persons boat. Still you would learn some things about their cruising style... lots of different ones... some like big boat with all the bells whistles and enough electronics to need a nuke power plant to keep them going... many others like myself are more minimalist but yes I do love to have ice in the afternoon for a Sundowner and have solar cells to make or keep the ice longer.

Keep an eye open and learn different people and you will get a better feel for what some cruising styles are and what you like or dislike about them.

Fair Winds...
Old 16-10-2009, 16:21   #26

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Quote:
Hey reality check what do you think your weekly costs are minus libations of course

No real answer to that!!!

I prefer to anchor out for sometimes a week or so but typically come in to meet friends or join in some activity.

When at anchor my cost are basically food only plus a small amount for Propane fuel or charcoal and what ever supplies the boat job at hand is... there is Always a Boat Job at hand...

Food cost are about 20% higher than in the states and selection is typically a bit less. You will learn the places where better buys are to be found away from the large marina complexes. I buy in bulk when I first go down and again about every two months. Fresh stuff is about weekly. Depending on what you like it could be under $100 to what every number you can think of depending on how much fine food you "must" have.

Basically what ever you now spend plus about 20% would be a good guesstimate. If you eat out on the islands it is all about where... many places are very pricey and I only go on special occasions... like when someone else is paying!!!!!

Liquor is actually cheaper than in the US. Beer is about the same or marginally higher but you will find you will probably prefer a local brew such as Red Stripe and that is generally more reasonable in addition to being better.

I personally try to keep all my Non Boat expensed to under $1,000 per month. Sometimes I beat the number by half and other times I exceed it by about the same..

You will probably find your life more simplified, you will eat less and better and if your like most of us you will either get lots more physically active or you will become more of a cockpit lizzard... these typically hang out more populated areas and eat out most often.
Old 16-10-2009, 16:23   #27

Thanks reality check, best info I got so far. I have to look into the whole storing there situation. How much does that cost I wonder, probably a pretty penny.
Old 16-10-2009, 16:27   #28

How many people do you meet or know down there from this post?
Old 16-10-2009, 16:33   #29

Quote:
Thanks reality check, best info I got so far. I have to look into the whole storing there situation. How much does that cost I wonder, probably a pretty penny.

If your on it you will not be storing it! Storage has a wide cost range depending on island and quality of storage and the facility itself. I have had my boat at Nanny Cay for several years.

Nanny Cay Resort, Marina & Boatyard - British Virgin Islands - Home

Cost depends on boat length, width and other factors. Discounts for advanced bookings and in the past these were mandatory if you stood any chance in getting a slot. It is less difficult now. These are on the Hard type storage or slip storage which is very expensive.

Other locations have limited mooring storage but most will not allow unmaintained boat to be on a mooring during hurricane season or at all in a storm.

Look at the cost and you will probably find Nanny Cay is one of the more expensive locations. This is part of the cost evaluation you will need to do in looking at boat ownership.

Having a boat at the location you want to sail is a value in itself. If you only had a limited time to sail and your boat was in Florida you would often expend the entire time just making the trip down in uncomfortable conditions. Having it ready to sleep in the day you arrive and even having it pre-provisioned is a major benefit for many. I have always provisioned for myself except for the few drinks & snacks I have the Yacht manager place on board for the first night if I'm getting in late.
Old 16-10-2009, 16:51   #30
cruiser

Joe if you get to STX after the first of the year I'll by you a Blackstrap Crucian at RumRunners if that's your taste. Just be careful about booze if you partake - it's dirt cheap and Crucian single barrel is rated worlds best by a lot of people who know this stuff. It's way too easy to move to El Caribe and drink yourself to oblivion.

And thank you for your service.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands