Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 09:53   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Hi Newhaul,

We are wintering in Kingston. We did the same last year and will again next year. We really like it here.

Let me know if you ever pop over - we can go to the Kingston Ale House
tell Kevin hi for me ( harbor master)

spent one winter in apple tree cove and used to to live in the mobile home rv park on highway outside of town by the Texaco .

I don't drink but a cup of coffee sounds good.
I enjoyed my wintering on the hook in Poulsbo at the west end of liberty bay much better .
Old 25-10-2019, 10:10   #92

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
The Guardian is a bunch of doomsday wackco's
Therein lies the problem of modern society.
Any person or group that does not conform to our personal belief is suspect at best, and more likely denied and decried. Critical thinking goes out the window thanks to confirmation bias.

My advice, become less close-minded, quickly, if you wish to survive. Some SHTF scenarios are not so far-fetched that their probability of occurrence is insignificant.

The 2007-9 recession was entirely predictable. Some of us made a great deal of money. Some of us were barely impacted. Some of us lost everything. I know which group I want to be in. Do you?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:14   #93

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

My take is that with a total collapse of economy and government world wide, there will be few options. If you have a skill, or something to offer, you may be allowed to join in a local group. Things will become tribal. It will be necessary to stake a claim to an area of land for support, and to defend it against others who will want to take it. That's the way of the world since the beginning. Sailing to a place where the locals are already having problems supporting themselves and expecting to be accepted is a pipedream. If you have nothing to contribute to a group, commune, tribe, or whatever than you are just SOL.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:26   #94

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

I'm off to Walmart to buy seeds while I can. Good luck everyone, and have a nice day
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:10   #95

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I did the permaculture thing when I was living in Hawai'i. The problem I ran into was that it was inefficient financially as long as the "just in time" inventory thing is working. We had an excellent local outside market for fruits and vegetables. While not strict permaculture followers, the quality of the produce was still high. And I just couldn't produce the variety at what they were able to sell it at.

I'm glad I did it as the knowledge learned about how to properly cultivate your soil to grow your own food was invaluable.

I've been in the "getting smaller" crowd for a long time but at some point you can get so small that you're just making life harder on yourself for no real reason. There's a happy medium.

Ah! someone who has knowledge of PermaCulture!

Though i can see how it would have been tough to succeed with this type of farming in a competitive market situation, it does seem it would be of great value in a post-SHTF era. among the young couples in france who are planting, there are also pockets of people who are coordinating their efforts, so that neighbours grow different things. their idea is to share the load while enabling a barter system.

and yes, i have noted that there are more and more of us who are members of the "getting smaller" crowd (nicely put) and admit that i tend to go overboard with it a bit too. as much as i'd like to find balance, i always feel more reasons to keep on with the "getting smaller". i also find it rewarding, mostly.
Old 25-10-2019, 12:14   #96

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
I'm off to Walmart to buy seeds while I can. Good luck everyone, and have a nice day
Make sure they are "Heirloom", or they will be one shot plants.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:20   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Make sure they are "Heirloom", or they will be one shot plants.
here is a good resource for permaculture information
Official ADAPT 2030 Website Covering Societal Changes During the Eddy Grand Solar Minimum — It's Not CO2, It's Not You, It's the Sun : A 400-year cycle in the Sun is Causing Climate Change

one of my seed suppliers .
https://mypatriotsupply.com/products...xoCVOkQAvD_BwE

Another is ice age farmer | warmth and abundance in the grand solar minimum
Old 25-10-2019, 12:28   #98

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Some guy pontificating on the topic:

Get Yourself a Thirty-Footer and Go

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:03   #99

I think many of these solutions ignores the most important part of human survival - we've lived since prehistoric times as part of close knit groups that help each other. And protect each other. Alone, we die quickly - often from something like a broken leg - or go mad.

Today, cities are not close knit. They are certainly not the place to be. But just about any small town 100 miles from a major city would be fine - especially if you've lived there for 10+ years.

Strangers who show up in a boat shouldn't expect much help from a community.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:13   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Therein lies the problem of modern society.
Any person or group that does not conform to our personal belief is suspect at best, and more likely denied and decried. Critical thinking goes out the window thanks to confirmation bias.

My advice, become less close-minded, quickly, if you wish to survive. Some SHTF scenarios are not so far-fetched that their probability of occurrence is insignificant.

The 2007-9 recession was entirely predictable. Some of us made a great deal of money. Some of us were barely impacted. Some of us lost everything. I know which group I want to be in. Do you?
Everyone should watch "The Big Short" (or even better, read the book) as an example of just how wrong the general consensus can be.

I have no doubt that those few people betting against the tide were the butt of a lot of jokes over whiskeys and golf before the crash.
Old 25-10-2019, 13:31   #101

-Recall the Cold War adage that the only thing worse than dying in a nuclear blast is surviving a nuclear blast.
-FWIW cataclysmic comets are fairly rare, solar events much more common to the point of being normative.
-Mars is entirely problematic from a DNA vs cosmic radiation standpoint. After 2 generations everyone will come out looking like Mr. Magoo.
-"Insteading" (instead of big city + homestead) is alive and well in the US.
-Best bugout locations are around people who are self-sufficient in the first place...on a global scale, they're ordinarily located far from population centers anyway.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...weather-events
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/17/64880...mexico-reopens
Did A Massive Solar Proton Event Fry The Earth
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe..._darkness.html
https://insteading.com/
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:41   #102

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Strangers who show up in a boat shouldn't expect much help from a community.
Strangers who show up, years before the disaster, and make a regular practice of helping those in the community, might do better.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:48   #103

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Strangers who show up, years before the disaster, and make a regular practice of helping those in the community, might do better.
Old 25-10-2019, 14:24   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I love it, turn that apocalyptic fascination into some good in the world! You really need to get into the prepper groups and convince them of this, imagine if they spent as much effort on building goodwill as they did digging bunkers, stockpiling food, and telling the rest of us what moronic sheep we are compared to them.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:27   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
A good example in the difference in being in a big city and a rural area or small city, when things go south, is to compare the aftermath of Katrina between New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

The differences were stark, to say the very least. Most of the people in New Orleans who died, died after the disaster was over. I was in federal law enforcement and traveled and worked in both places, and a large amount of the deaths in New Orleans were homicides.

So many in fact, (about a fourth) that the Orleans Parish coroner was instructed to stop classifying the deaths as to actual cause, and to substitute "Katrina related" whether you drowned, died of dehydration, or were shot to death.

Things were relatively benign in Mississippi, although the actual damage was much worse.

Katrina convinced me that a big city is not where you want to be when the thin veneer of civilization wears away. Try to imagine dead bodies, lying unrecovered, for three to four weeks, in plain sight. That's how bad things got there.
On the flip side, NYC did just fine in 9/11 and Sandy. As I've posted before with the opposite, generalizing human behavior from one disaster is a bit of a fraught exercise.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote