Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 23:47   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
As far storage...new boats storage is designed around the "average boat owner" and their storage requirements. I have an old boat and have totally gutted out my galley building a new one from scratch with custom holders for each type of glass, plate bowl etc... 4 bowls, 4 plates, 4 tall tumblers 4 short tumblers, 2 wine glasses, two margarita glasses and 4 tequila glasses (not to mention a few misc things)
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 00:19   #47

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
It falls under the same category as varnish...what is more important to you beauty or convenience.

Strangely enough, I am sure I read in one of the Pardey’s books that one of the few luxuries they like to have onboard are real wine glasses. I suppose the other luxury is the gallons of wine to drink from the glass? If not them it was a similar author with a minimalist wooden boat philosophy.

I still have polycarbonate wine glasses given to me as a gift so I am not complaining. Then again, I even drink from a low polycarbonate tumbler that I have glued non-slip matting to the base. Bugger glasses of any sort; I just can’t afford to waste that precious red or scotch. On the other hand, back on land please do not even think of giving me beer in a plastic glass unless it is very cold and FREE.

The only thing about glass is that I would definitely be overly cautious about securing it properly at sea. As a chef I have seen more than the odd serious injury due breaking glasses and ceramics. Just imagine being in a front load washing machine with this stuff flying around?
Old 26-10-2010, 06:16   #48

Boat: Catalina 22, Passport 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As far storage...new boats storage is designed around the "average boat owner" and their storage requirements. I have an old boat and have totally gutted out my galley building a new one from scratch with custom holders for each type of glass, plate bowl etc... 4 bowls, 4 plates, 4 tall tumblers 4 short tumblers, 2 wine glasses, two margarita glasses and 4 tequila glasses (not to mention a few misc things)
Wolfenzee - What do your custom holders look like? I've been thinking about using some vertical dowels to hold glasses and dishes...
tonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Strangely enough, I am sure I read in one of the Pardey’s books that one of the few luxuries they like to have onboard are real wine glasses. I suppose the other luxury is the gallons of wine to drink from the glass? If not them it was a similar author with a minimalist wooden boat philosophy.
I've seen their boat, they store their crystal glasses in a custom box that drops down from under their outboard storage cabinets. The box is velvet lined and craddles each glass perfectly. The glasses are not large wine glasses. Larry is quite the wood worker, they look great.

-p
Old 27-10-2010, 16:01   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonga View Post
Wolfenzee - What do your custom holders look like? I've been thinking about using some vertical dowels to hold glasses and dishes...
They will be mounted in the divider between the main cabin and galley to allow light through them as well as easy reach. Straight sided glasses will go through hole in excessively thick wood , stemmed glasses will involve a cammed toggle. The real challenge I have is a blown glass oil lamp (not the sort of thing meant for a boat, but I couldn't resist) it will go in a special cabinet containing other really nice things made of Cherry and Maiden's Gum with antique Chinese cabinet hardware on the out side and cast bronze for the drawers and or doors inside.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 01:53   #51
Marine Service Provider

Re: Glassware vs Polycarbonate

Strahl Glasses are 'almost' indestructible (we have yet to see one broken, but there is always the chance!) :-)

You can buy them from our website (see below) or from strahl-online.com

Peter
PeterClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 04:51   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Peter.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:25   #53

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Glass is much nicer to drink from than polycarbonate. Last 3 years full time cruising, with lots of friends and parties, total one glass broken.
My wife would jump ship if I suggested plastic.

Somehow, I believe alcoholic beverages don't taste the same in plastic as they do in glass and plastic seems to take the carbonation out of beer. I don't like drinking beer from a can either.

I would lean towards glass.
Old 19-03-2016, 15:31   #54

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
............Sarafina - I have corelle and did not realise I could put it in the oven! So no problems to heat the plates pre serving up?
Instructions or warnings should be on the bottom of each piece. If not. look on the manufacturer's website or on a box in a store where they sell them.
Old 19-03-2016, 17:25   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Have been pre-warming both Corelle and ironstone plates in the oven in cold weather for years, they really don't have to get very hot to help food stay warm.

Also, fwiw, we use glass glasses. One finds ways to keep them safe. Mine do passages wearing socks, keeps them silent.
Old 19-03-2016, 17:33   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Pier 1 if it was not mentioned. they often have a nice selection of polycarbonate ware. Also, Bed Bath & beyond.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 19:16   #57

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Have been pre-warming both Corelle and ironstone plates in the oven in cold weather for years, they really don't have to get very hot to help food stay warm.

Also, fwiw, we use glass glasses. One finds ways to keep them safe. Mine do passages wearing socks, keeps them silent.
Ahh, Ann, you've just made Sue's day. On our troller, she's been tucking our wineglasses into socks and nesting them into a cupboard for years. That won't be necessary now as our cat has a wineglass rack, but the socks sure did the job crashing around in the Gulf of Alaska.

Cheers,
Old 20-03-2016, 09:13   #58
cruiser

Only glass I allow is wine bottles (magnums or larger no 750ml) my booze bottles (maybe others if it's good/classy stuff) and my pints, low balls and reds, whites stemless wine glasses for the women. I'm a beverage cup snob, no hiding that..if I'm not allowed aboard someone's vessel with my glass cuz they forbid glass aboard I'm known to leave, if I like you I'll use a red solo cup aboard your vessel and hop down to my dink, reach into my cooler/bar box making drinks and return to your cockpit with refreshed drinks...many times these people usually change their tune and the no glass rule doesn't apply to me there after...if not no hard feelings though some have made a big deal of my not boarding and leaving...moving on...

I also turn away people/refused boarding to people with coolers of glass bottle beer (I'm not into craft beers) and pretentious 750ml wine of the wine elitists...May seem petty but as skip/owner I have my way...

Also Red solo cups aboard as well when those who get drunk appear drunk (kinda your warning, "the red solo cup" much like a red card in soccer)
Next step if you get offered orange juice (without booze) from me, it's to be taken like the French gesture/meaning "you've been asked politely/silently to leave"
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 11:38   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There's glass on my boat.

One of my upbringing can't drink from plastic.
I just broke one yesterday. Cest la vie! Took all of 3 minutes to clean up.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 14:07   #60

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm with you, Mark!

The only glass broken on my boat that was hard to clean up was the chimney from a trawler lamp that came out between Cabo San Lucas and the Marquesas, and the difficulty was mainly due to the sea state. That was about 1990.

For picnics we used to use acrylic glasses, but they got really scratched, just from washing them, and have been long gone. I don't much care for the feel of plastic, but some of the polycarbonate drinking vessels looks not too bad. Now, use s/s for picnics, but on the boat--and possibly because it is our home, we use glass glasses and Corelle and ironstone dishes. I have had two plates break over the past 25 yrs. or so.

To each his own, I guess.

Ann