Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 15:13   #31

Boat: Beneteau First 42
This is a little late, but glass is the only way to go for drinking. I do put some silicone adhesive on the bottom too to keep them from sliding around.

This thread got me thinking, and I found this. Hercuglass, Almost Unbreakable Real Glass
I don't know if they are any good, though.
Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 18:34   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
boat came with a wine glass rack and some cheap plastic wine glasses. Boss made some nice little wine glass coozies to pad our glass stemware while hanging. They work great at padding the glasses while underway
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 20:26   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I like nice things and I prefer to drink out of a glass so I use hand blown Mexican glasses (abit more than a 1/4" thick)...I have special holders for all my glasses and a thick pad in the bottom of my sink. Yes glasses break on land as well as on a boat. I also use real plates, hand painted from Portugal and a bit more robust (it took dropping an iron skillet 4' to break one of them).

wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 20:49   #34

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Glass all the way. Who cares if you break one, clean it up, go on living. Just like having real bedding instead of sleeping bags, I think you should go for the comfy stuff even if it's less convenient.

If I were on a race boat I might feel different.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 21:03   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
It falls under the same category as varnish...what is more important to you beauty or convenience.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 08:16   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I'm glad lots of folks are into glass. Because I am just changing from plastic to glass
After 2.5 years drinking out of plastic glass is a little luxury! But I'm not going as far as crystal. Yet!

As for breakages, just the same at home: get down and clear it up. Get the last few fine pieces by running about with bare feet. Always works

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 08:20   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
It just makes sense, plastic for Monos and glass for Cats.
Jus kiddin.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 08:44   #38

No compromise needed. We use french-made unbreakable glasses. If you drop glass, you pick it up (less content), clean the spill, refil and keep drinking . I am not sure whether the ones we have are the same as Hercuglass mentioned above, but ours are sure hard to break.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:06   #39

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Talking

There's probably a positive correlation there. People who drink from glass use varnish. People who drink from polycarb use cetol orange flavor.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
We have been so pleased with our Tervis insulated polycarb glasses. They have a variety of sizes for every use. The insulated feature is great! Hot drinks remain hot longer, and cold drinks remain cold longer too. My wife and I have played the "when will the ice cubes melt": polycarb insulated vs glass vs polycarb noninsulated. Seeing still-large cubes in the insulated polycarbs after they have disappeared in the other glasses is very convincing.

While landbound, we wash the Tervis stuff in the dishwasher. We've had them for years, use them everyday, dropped them on every kind of surface, take them to the beach and road trips. Top covers for most of them turn them into "travel mug-like" glasses, and enhance the insulation features. Finally, on occasion, a glued section has released or the air between the insulated section has fogged. We mail them to Tervis and they send us new ones at no charge.

Other brands with similar features are likely to be just as satisfactory.

Roger
Ditto on the Tervis. A friend got us a some with Captain, First Mate, and Crew on them. We can usually get the ice to last 2 drinks in these things. Plus the covers are great in the dinghy when travelling to a neighbor's boat in the anchorage. We also have polycarb rocks and high ball glasses but rarely use them anymore since getting the Tervis.

we use rolls of rubber shelf lining to keep the stuff from sliding around in the cabinets. a small piece of rubber lining cut out in the shape of the plates and layer one between each plate. This keeps everything in their place, even when it's rough.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:21   #41
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Kate/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Can't beat IKEA's kiddy rainbow cups.... IKEA | Baby | Children's tableware | KALAS | Tumbler

Cheap, attractive (I suppose that may just be the primary school teacher in me!) and unbreakable!! It's not us that's the problem - it's the crew - they all have butter fingers!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:48   #42

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
I like the melamine (sp?) dishes just fine but polycarbonate glassware sucked. It's expensive and it scratches way to easily. Bought it, tried it, jettisoned it. Breakage of glassware happens, of course, but no more than ashore. 'Course, we sail a multihull and so spend more time more-or-less level. We do steer clear of crystal glassware as it seems to explode when it breaks and it is much more difficult to clean up all the shrapnel that results.
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:58   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
. We can usually get the ice to last 2 drinks

Did someone mention ICE???????????????????

Before we had solar panels we couldn’t really have refrigeration at all (now still don't have a freezer). Anyway we were parked at Lizard Island on the Great Barrier Reef for a few weeks and every evening at sundowners on the beach this (American) woman would put her tub of ice down on the table and open the lid and slip a few cubes into her glass. Tinkle it. Tinkle it a bit more and drink... Nicolle would sip on her luke-warm coke. (OK her warm/hot coke)
Tinkle.
About 4 -tinkle- weeks later Nicolle couldn't stand it anymore and leaned across the table and said: 'Can I please just have one cube of ice?!'

The woman said: "Of course you can! I bring this whole tub of ice each night to SHARE!"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 12:31   #44

Boat: Catalina 22, Passport 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I like nice things and I prefer to drink out of a glass so I use hand blown Mexican glasses (abit more than a 1/4" thick)...I have special holders for all my glasses and a thick pad in the bottom of my sink. Yes glasses break on land as well as on a boat. I also use real plates, hand painted from Portugal and a bit more robust (it took dropping an iron skillet 4' to break one of them).

We also like having real glass and dishes but storage is an issue. The boat is new to us so we are trying to figure out the best way to store glasses & dishes. I'm interested to know how others have dealt with storage.
tonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:56   #45

Boat: a sailing boat
Fine.

Just do not offer me a wine.

My mate has a true lead crystal glass onboard. Then again she does not drink Chateau Plastique from it either.

I do not ask anybody to go that far but it shows that you can have whatever pleases your senses.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote