Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-09-2010, 16:46   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
We just drink our wine straight from the box, I mean "bottle".

Old 18-09-2010, 17:28   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Had a set of Fusion wine glasses aboard our Transpac 49 and they were the first things we packed up and moved aboard our DeFever when we moved from sail to power due to health reasons. Glass will crash but Fusion is for Cruisin'... I'd vote for Fusion!

Old 18-09-2010, 17:34   #18

Boat: contessa 32
no glass,no problems
Old 18-09-2010, 18:19   #19

Boat: Hunter 45CC
OK for meals, but ...

We have melamine plates and mugs for coffee and meals, but I draw the line at Gin & Tonic from a plastic 'glass'.

We have Waterford crystal tumbers boiught for $6 each at Homegoods. Heavy and just the job.

You just can't get the same 'tinkle' of ice cubes with plastic.

Duncan & Joan
S/Y TALISA
Old 18-09-2010, 19:14   #20

Thanks for all of the responses.

I'm a touch of a glass snob. And, while I was going to shop for nice polycarb glasses and see if I can find something I like, from the voices in here, it sounds like I probably won't be happy with them.

So then... any suggestions for how to store glasses on a smallish sailboat?

P.S. Love the pile of booze in the V-birth. I'd consider filling my chain locker with booze, but there's no ventilation and so it gets awfully hot in there.
Old 18-09-2010, 20:07   #21

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Another vote for Corelle. We have one of their square plate patterns- no rolling!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 20:08   #22
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
And I like that the sides are pretty high!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 02:14   #23

Boat: Leopard 40
Williams Sonoma has very nice non-glass but glass looking drinking glasses.
Old 19-09-2010, 04:53   #24

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
If your going poly I would advise Strahl also. Expensive but so much more like glass than the cheaper types that craze and feel yuk to drink out of. Have just replaced all my glassware that came with boat. I clumsy at best of times let alone on a boat lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I would not have corelle at the house but I like it on the boat. Lightweight, oven and nuke proof, stacks tightly and doesn't take up much space. They should fit in your rack.

Sarafina - I have corelle and did not realise I could put it in the oven! So no problems to heat the plates pre serving up? Our meals always go cold so quickly on the corelle and with eating outside mainly!
Old 19-09-2010, 05:11   #25

Has it really come to this? Unbelievable! Discussing types of glasses?

Confession: I have a pair of real wineglasses stowed safely away on the nearly zero chance that a female and a bottle of wine show up aboard at the same time. However unlikely.

Everything else is double-wall insulated plastic. Yes, I throw it out when it gets ugly. You can tell the boatboy put a bead of silicone around the bases to prevent sliding. Let it cure while sitting gently on some poly-wrap or wax paper.
Old 19-09-2010, 06:43   #26

I drink My whisky in crystal when at anchor and from my travel mug when under way. Wine is the same but in short stemmed glass, much less likely to be knocked over.
www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=461

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:59   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
... So no problems to heat the plates pre serving up? ...
Yes, carefully!

Vitrelle® Use & Care:

Corelle® plates and bowls are made of Vitrelle* glass. Mugs are made of porcelain or stoneware as noted on the package.

Corelle® products can be used for serving and re-heating food in microwaves or pre-heated conventional ovens up to 350̊ F (176̊ C). To warm empty dinnerware for serving, use pre-heated conventional ovens only. Porcelain and stoneware mugs are microwavable ...

... DO NOT USE ON STOVETOP, under a broiler/griller, under a microwave browning element, in a toaster oven, or on or near any other direct heating source such as range heat vents, pilot lights, open flames, etc. ...

... AVOID SUDDEN TEMPERATURE CHANGES. DO NOT add liquid to a hot item, place a hot item on a wet surface, or handle with a wet or cold cloth. These sudden temperature changes may cause the item to break or shatter. Handle hot items with a dry cloth or potholder ...

* DO NOT heat an empty vessel in a microwave oven. It may become too hot to handle, crack or break.
* DO NOT heat a small amount of food in larger dish in a microwave oven. It may become too hot to handle, crack or break.

More ➥ Corelle Vitrelle Use & Care | Corelle.com

* About Vitrelle
Corelle plates, bowls and open handle cups are products of a glass lamination process, formed from a three-layered sheet comprised of two different types of glass. This sheet has a white opal core layer and a transparent top and bottom skin, like a sandwich. The layers provide superior strength while allowing it to be very thin, like plywood is quite strong without being very thick.
Vitrelle - Corelle Pyrex Patterns Dates Information

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 10:49   #28

Location: Where ever the wind blows - Currently Herrington Harbour North
Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericson_adam View Post
So then... any suggestions for how to store glasses on a smallish sailboat?

P.S. Love the pile of booze in the V-birth. I'd consider filling my chain locker with booze, but there's no ventilation and so it gets awfully hot in there.
Glad you liked the picture of our "Wine Cellar"!

As far as storing the glasses go, we used "shoe box" size plastic storage bins for the longer / rougher overnight type passages.

For day runs down the ICW and such, we would simply leave them on the shelves and pack our kitchen towels around them. Our more fragile stemware got a bit of added protection from some soft, open cell, foam packing (pick it up in a craft store).

As you can see in the photo below, we mixed it up!
The wine glasses (white, red. champagne) are glass, the tumblers were polycarbonate, the white mugs and dishes where Corelle, so on and so forth... that was on our first boat, a Catalina 30 TR.

Having experimented with all the above, we no longer carry any "plastic". Again, certainly not condemning it, but have found that we simply prefer not to...

Cheers!
Old 21-09-2010, 19:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We have more glassware aboard than we need. We don't break glasses often, but when we do it's no big deal.

Old 22-09-2010, 10:45   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Corelle is nice until it explodes. Because when you do drop a piece hard enough to break it, it doesn't just break, it explodes in a really nasty manner.

Plastic glasses can be very nice these days but eventually they start to look like scuffed up plastic. And on the other hand, there's a lot of very nice stainless steel out there. Also unbreakable, and if it isn't quite formal-dinner-style, bear in mind you cna get it double-walled so the cold stuff stays cold and doesn't sweat condensation either.

Of course if you're racing you'd want titanium not stainless, but racers wouldn't keep barware on board in the first place, would they?<G>

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: