Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Maybe being a farmer is not the best idea with a 12 year old hanging with you....goodluck...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24   #17

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I thought there were lots of good things to do in CO...What about being a "farmer", I here that a person can do good by being a "farmer",you have the land,cant be that many republicans with the "new farm bill" that has been passed...
He lives in the high country so not much farming at 8k feet. Could possibly raise cattle... Job growth in Colorado is primarily on the front range.

I agree with DenverD0n that Florida is probably more conservative than CO. But the sailing is far superior than on Grand Lake
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03   #18

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Have you ever lived in Florida?
Maybe you ought to consider renting a shack on the land for awhile before you go out and blow all your cash on a boat.
It's not all as great as it sounds, especially with a kid to raise. Nothing wrong with home schooling but its not for everyone.
Making a living is the same wherever you go, you may have the skills you need to make it happen and then gain, you may not.
Buying a boat to live on can be a huge mistake unless you know what you're getting into.
Whatever you do, do it right the first time! Take your time and make sure you are absolutely in love with the boat you buy because its a losing proposition once you buy it 90% of the time. It not like property!
Good luck!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:07   #19

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly

And living in bumble **** Colorado is not for everyone considering I came from the big city. It's all relative and part of me does not care it is about the adventure , before I die. Everything is give and take. A large part of me does not care just do it and have fun while ya can. LIVE.
I do not live in farm country I live at 8,500 feet right next to the Sangre De Cristos outside of a town called Westcliffe
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08   #20

Where there is a will there is a way. The power of positive thinking. Little engine that could
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Irish,
I'm open to listening and thoughts.
I must say I have never met such encouraging folks thank you all. Not one of my friends is a boater of this sort.
I encourage you to carefully consider the ramifications your plans will impose. So often I read similar posts along with "go for it" responses and its easy for somebody to say "go for it." But again there are buts!!!

The first consideration is to give serious thoughts to the confined, limited spaces a boat offers. Just a simple thing such as limited , no make that VERY limited closet space, no electricity unless docked.....and don't think for one minute a generator is the answer, no fresh water unless you have a watermaker, limited water storage, bitter cold during winters unless you limit your cruising to warm water. How do you plan to handle poop? Yes, a bucket is legal but is that what you want?

You need boating experience! You need boating classes including navigation.

Can you make all this happen? Sure, but its far less expensive to take small bites rather than one big expensive chunk. Just my thoughts and to be sure, many others will continue to encourage you to "go for it" and remember, its not their money, its yours!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30   #22

I think I have more experience than you might think. And the size I am considering has ac and heat and a head. As for whom wrote about have I ever lived in Florida yes and as for renting a shack what a waste of money. Rents are way high for crap. And as for electric solar . I have solar here. and a wind generator. Some of you sound rather subjective. HAve you lived in b this kind of area of Colorado and heated with wood??????? Or run yer well dry?????? I have and am
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36   #23

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
I think I have more experience than you might think. And the size I am considering has ac and heat and a head. As for whom wrote about have I ever lived in Florida yes and as for renting a shack what a waste of money. Rents are way high for crap. And as for electric solar . I have solar here. and a wind generator. Some of you sound rather subjective. HAve you lived in b this kind of area of Colorado and heated with wood??????? Or run yer well dry?????? I have and am

The responders who advise you to go slowly are not trying to prevent you from changing your living style. They ... including myself are advising you to fully consider your move. So--- good luck.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37   #24

Ok let me add this I live at 8,500 feet on 75 acres with a half mile long driveway . In winter it can easily get down to MINUS 20 at night and I heat with wood and have for many many years. The DIRT roads are a hoot when they are MUD. So please compare some of this. My town is 8 miles away and good shopping is 45 miles down a dirt road and 3,000 feet lower. WIND OMG we get easily wind gusts of 75 mph that move the house. I am on a mountain side facing west
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45   #25

Fog, Thank you I know and I hear them. Trust me this is not an easy decision But live while I can . I have had a dream of living on a nice acceptable boat since my 20's
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52   #26

Let me add this . Having gone to summer camps for years in the Pa Poconos and the Florida Keys my loves were sailing and horse back riding. I lived on the east coast and sailed for many years and love the water and fresh seafood. I loved sailing in fog off shore but that is another conversation. I moved here to follow one dream of having a ranch and God willing a loving equine woman . BUT the equine women who are single here love a saddle horn more than a man and are generally large women and missing teeth and may very well have a drug or alcohol problem . So it was beautiful but no thank you. my county had only 4,000 year round residents and not one traffic light
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53   #27

So thusly I am very strongly considering going back to what I enjoy and love more and following another dream . While I am still above ground
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13   #28

Boat: Skookum 53'

Wow, it sounds like you live in downtown Alaska. As far as the 12 year old goes, from what I have seen, boat kids are the most well adjusted self reliant confident kids, I have ever dealt with or known. So there are many pluses to that aspect of life aboard. Depending on the kid of course. As far as for yourself, none of us knows how many days we have left on the planet. You have to live your life by your own rights. I would recommend going in with your eyes open. As others have suggested, make sure it is the path you want to follow, and there are ways of investigating before jumping with both feet, that will give you a sense of what you are in for. As far as the lack of amenities, you already know about that, so no hardship there. Dock versus Mooring ball, I am kind of anti social so I would prefer a mooring ball, as to not have people walking by my boat at 0200, looking in the port holes. Of course you end up using a dingy getting back and forth to the beach. I am from the "Jump in with both feet." Camp, but I realize that is not for everyone and I should be circumspect about offering that kind of advice.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16   #29

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Fire your best shot!
I've done it all. Lived in Alaska when it was 40 below, burned wood for years, snowmobiles or rode a horse to town. Commercial fished to make a living, raised cows, horses and mules. Lived in Florida on a 42 cutter, sailed through the Canal, sailed the Med, sailed the entire west coast.
I've had kids and wives aboard in all kinds of weather - most of them can't take it.
I've owned boats from 72' to 8' power and sail. All but one built out of wood.
I'm 63 and still at it in my 48' ketch (72 years old)
All I can tell you is, go for it and fire your best shot!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:10   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

It all sounds sounds good at first, but fast forward a bit, you have sold the farm, bought the boat, now you are another liveaboard in S Florida, you are on a limited budget, it is hot, your kid is bored, you have to worry about hurricanes, lightning, water cops, It costs a lot to stay in a marina where you can run A/C, costs a lot to stay on a mooring too. Why not move somewhere coastal, let your kid go to a real school for a few years, buy a smaller sailboat, maybe join a yacht club, get involved in a local sailing scene, get your kid involved in dinghy sailing. Live near the ocean awhile someplace you can make a living and still sail a lot. You won't get to sail as much on a big boat and it won't be as much fun. Take a trip, go visit the Florida Keys, look at some boats, talk to some live aboards. Be careful asking this advice from boatowners because we will almost always say go for it. Now go check out some other places with lots of boats. Even some place more north. You would still get good sailing half the year. Or S. California, Why Florida? It might take a few years to sell that ranch in S. Colorado (I used to live just south of you). You need to get out of there but don't limit yourself to being a live aboard in S. Florida. Go look around, once you get that boat you will be stuck with only a narrow set of options. Right now the options are endless. Good Luck!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat