Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 09:53   #121

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

I have never in my whole life met so many disturbed and rejects from society as I have living up here.
Drugs alcohol meth, no money homeless types and antigovernment
My God get me out of here.
At least when I lived outside of Philly they were diluted
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:50   #122

Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Sometimes it feels like the cowboy version of Deliverance
Old 29-09-2013, 10:59   #123

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Ok lets put this one out there. I believe boaters to be certainly more social and friendlier than the folks in bumble F Colorado
My experience has been that the people you encounter in life will be more or less similar to the people you have already encountered. The biggest influence on the people you encounter will always be the guy in the mirror in the morning.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 12:15   #124

Bob,
LOL yes yes I hear you but my goodness you should come out here to Westcliffe Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember I moved here from the burbs of Philly and I had very good friends there and a great customer base.
Old 30-09-2013, 05:15   #125

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
SB.....when you move down here to Florida, have you considered Home Schooling your son? We have "Florida Virtual" provided by the state for those of us that home school our kids. Take a look as it might be a option. As long as you have a " Internet connection" he can stay "in class" any where. Obviously you must be a Florida resident but a Marina address might suffice. If not there are "mail services" that will qualify as a home address. Just some thoughts.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 23:01   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
SB.....when you move down here to Florida, have you considered Home Schooling your son? We have "Florida Virtual" provided by the state for those of us that home school our kids. Take a look as it might be a option. As long as you have a " Internet connection" he can stay "in class" any where. Obviously you must be a Florida resident but a Marina address might suffice. If not there are "mail services" that will qualify as a home address. Just some thoughts.
Interesting....I just posted a new thread about homeschooling, but we will not be anywhere near Florida.

Have you any thoughts/knowledge on internet on boats for such things as schooling purposes ?

By the way to the OP.....go for it, you only live once, we are doing it also if we can put the plan togehter we want.
samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:24   #127

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Samsiam

Sorry for taking so long to respond as I've been away for a bit. As to " homeschooling" onboard, I don't expect it to be a problem as that is my intention with my son.
The current requirements are that we must have internet for curriculum, a phone to communicate with teachers and we are Florida residents. At our house or onboard we meet the requirements. If grades are not maintained, one could expect parent/ teacher face to face meeting therefore one must maintain good standing if in the Bahamas, as we plan to do.

Hope this helps....:-)

S/V Water Wings

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 08:02   #128

Ok my turn. My feelings on home schooling is that is may be very nice and most likely works well BUT I feel the interaction with other kids and socializing is very important.
Old 27-10-2013, 08:18   #129

I am adding this. I would love to find a single member of the opposite sex sailor to maybe join this future crew and adventure.
Old 27-10-2013, 09:34   #130

Boat: Skookum 53'

There will plenty of opportunity for interaction. Most kids that I know that were shipboard raised and educated, were superior to land based educated kids. The problem solving skills alone are off the chart. The whole socialization thing is vastly overrated and usually a distraction from the real purpose of schooling, which is education.
Old 27-10-2013, 09:43   #131

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I have to agree with Capt58. All the boat schooled kids we have met were far more polite and worldly than their land based counterparts. They were more outgoing and had met many children from different cultures. Upon returning stateside they were far ahead of their counterparts, many skipping grades or entering college early.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 09:45   #132

Well I in part agree with you. Here in Westcliffe most of the kids I would prefer he avoid BUT in that he gets to see positive and negative things about the community and it's folks. He will learn some street smarts. But yes IF he were like most American kids and the what I call delayed maturity I am old fashioned and not happy with most of what I see. BUT his having grown up in Germany for 11 years he is a bit more worldly. But yes Captian I do in great part agree with you.
Old 27-10-2013, 09:47   #133

Tin I like your response even more. YES. Yes so much to outgoing and a better cultural experience
Old 27-10-2013, 09:55   #134

Boat: Skookum 53'

Yes Tingum was able to articulate what I was trying to get across better. As far as street smarts go, you don't get a better education than haggling with the street vendors in Pappete, or Mexico, or any of the Caribbean islands. Not to be overlooked is the math skills you can obtain by celestial navigation, and terestial navigation. There is also good interation with the other sailing kids, plus they learn to interact with adults in an arena that is less authoritarian and more educational, as well as learning to communicate with adults in an acceptable fashion and being accepted and having their input being welcomed by adults due to a shared experience on the water. Plus they will learn to seperate the real deal from the BS in a hurry.
Old 27-10-2013, 10:05   #135

Wow I agree as they say I believe "here,here"

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat