Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 13:13   #106

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

So today the climate change water rise statistics came out,,, OH my
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 14:41   #107

Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

Climate change is like a thermos; sometimes it makes you hot and sometimes it makes you cold. It just depends on who you ask and when.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 14:48   #108

Well the interesting part is that some streets around Miami are already being flooded by rising waters so they are saying. So docks could get interesting
Old 27-09-2013, 15:35   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Well the interesting part is that some streets around Miami are already being flooded by rising waters so they are saying. So docks could get interesting
I remember Miami sts flooding at high tide back in 83... I saw that story also and thought , it was no secret back 30 yrs ago ..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 15:37   #110

Ah, "they" say.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 16:03   #111

Hmmmmmmmm that could be an interesting point, well taken.
Ok for the sake of conversation. Anyone give me some ideas of monthly cost for living aboard
Old 28-09-2013, 06:36   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't see current effects of water level changes affecting marina opportunities. Actually, with another foot of average higher water we could access some marinas that are too shallow for us, but that's not happening yet. Some speak of flooding of the streets with the huge amounts of recent rainfall in south Florida, but the tide levels are swinging across the same median that we've been floating on for decades. As for monthy liveaboard slip rates, we see opportunities for us to spend as much as $2,000/month or as little as $500/month. So much depends upon shopping for rates and the amenities you desire. The marinas that cater to the resort status are the more expensive ones. Some that are tucked away and not attracting the big yachts are more pleasing for many by cost and atmosphere.
Old 28-09-2013, 07:03   #113

Cap,
With regard to prices that is kind of what I expected. I don't want posh
Old 28-09-2013, 07:06   #114

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
All depends on how you live. Simple mooring life style you can get by with a grand anchor out less go to a dock triple that. Really not much different than living on shore

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:19   #115

Ok lets put this one out there. I believe boaters to be certainly more social and friendlier than the folks in bumble F Colorado
Old 28-09-2013, 12:22   #116

Where I live reggae is unheard of
Old 28-09-2013, 13:18   #117

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Arrow Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

sillybilly,
Normally the further south you go in Florida the higher per month per foot of boat you will pay for morage. The nice thing about living on a boat is that you can (when able) use your boat to travel to new areas to visit or to see if that area suits you. I believe you might be better off somewhere near Tampa if you need to work awhile longer. UNLESS, you want to work in the service area (waiter, cook, hotel clean up ect). On the south side of Tampa Bay are several smaller marinas that will probably cost less than $500 per month including liveaboard fees. You would be close to good schools, good food stores, jobs..... If you are considering a 44' boat the maintance cost grows with each foot as well as morage cost. With the 2 of you, you will probably need at least $1500 to $2000 per month to live at a marina. And you will, because your son will need place that will allow him to attend school. Remember, just because you live on a boat does not mean there are not LOTS of small jobs to be done to maintain your boat. It is just like living on your small ranch in Colorado. Always something to be done. Your saving grace on a boat is that at least in Florida the weather never gets cold enough not to do the work; but it might get to wet to do the work. Just my 2 cents for you to think about. I enjoy living on my older boat on the east coast of Florida. It sure beats the hell out of mowing my runway in east Texas, keep the fences in repair, making sure the creek was not plugged for the next rain storm. PM me if you need a little more info.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 13:56   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like that post above by brutb,- more options for less money a little north on the Florida coasts.
Old 28-09-2013, 15:02   #119

Ok let me start here I am aware of the increase docking costs with length.
I plan to do what work there is myself. I certainly would like to keep costs as low as possible. Some of what you wrote concerns me . I did the math of what it costs me to live here and it came to about $1,500 a month with electric, car insurance, cell, dish, food, fuel, and property taxes. I think I got everything. BUT I have NO work here. So even $200 a week would be nice
Old 28-09-2013, 18:07   #120

Let me say this I want very much to leave my beautiful home land and view in Colorado and succeed at living on a sail boat somewhere. And find at least some part time work

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat