Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:27   #166

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Sunseeker,
Right on. NOW lets hope this places sells fairly quickly . Hopefully by the end of May. I am considering a 40-45 footer. I like an Irwin but have heard the issues hmmmmm
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 14:32   #167

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Well don't be surprised if it takes longer to sell than what you think. The best way may be to offer attractive owner financing. Here in WA. it is difficult to get commercial financing. Maybe just get 20-25% down and then the payments on the balance will be a nice income. Even if you sell with interest only payments with maybe a five year balloon that would be nice.

The 40-45' would be the max. I think. Around the keys it will probably be OK but if you get out where the wind blows and if it is just yourself and your son you can get pretty busy pretty quick, and maybe even seasick which is debilitating. Also up here the folks with the larger boats have more trouble finding berth space. We all would like to have a larger boat. I have looked at the 36' Islander Freeport many times with desire. But I could never get my 32' sold in time. While the Freeport may not be the best sailing boat it is a designed liveaboard for a couple, and it does not sail bad. As you will find out the expensive curve goes up very rapidly the larger the boat.

But you probably already know all of this. Just remember the KISS principle there is a lot to learn. Fair winds, Sid aka 1Sunseeker.

On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of those who on the dawn of victory sat down to rest.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 09:29   #168

Ok I would consider starting another thread but after 15 minutes and being fairly new at this sire I can't figure out how. So I have heard costs all over the place for what monthly costs are or can be and how much I should expect. So folks gets run some numbers and see what we get. Tell me what you have all found to be monthly costs and yearly costs for living aboard besides the food phone net and so on.
Old 29-08-2014, 14:52   #169

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sillybilly,

This will bump your post. There are plenty of members from FL, some of whom may be pleased to give you figures relative to their expenses. Or you could try googling marinas in florida and checking their websites for their costs.

Ann
Old 29-08-2014, 15:23   #170

No no I have been to and looked up plenty of marinas that part is fine ,,,,, it is the above and beyond part I am curious about. I have heard as high as $1,500 a month
Old 01-09-2014, 09:56   #171

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I don't know if you got my last post or not. It does not seem to show up here. So to recap a shorter message. You can budget pretty closely your monthly expenses like food, clothes, fuel, standard marina fees, perhaps a new stereo/TV with internet connections. What you can't budget is a costly break down. Like an engine replacement or overhaul, bottom job vs a diver scrub and zinc change. Perhaps a blown sail or at least a new cruising spinnaker. It's the unknowns that makes us worry at night. Like the things that go bump in the night. Just try to keep as much cash in reserve as possible until you get to know the boat and the boat gets to know you all. Since that came up are you a single hander or will you have family to help/take care of?

I would suggest sticking close to reliable services until you are really comfortable with the boat and know its secrets before taking off for far away places. There will be secrets/unknowns until you live on it for a while I guarantee. Sunseeker from Boulder
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02   #172

Sunseeker,
Very good answer. The unknown is a given even living in a house with a roof , frig and so on.
I have heard from a gentleman living on board he could feed his family, not work and take care of the boat on $1,500 a month as be I was told that is what it would cost me to live on board a month with everything for and about the boat included. I certainly questioned that and have heard many differing amounts. The key as I would imagine in anything is how much you do yourself.
Happy Labor day ,,, may the sun fill the sky and the breeze be gentle
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
What you can't budget is a costly break down. Like an engine replacement or overhaul, bottom job vs a diver scrub and zinc change. Perhaps a blown sail or at least a new cruising spinnaker. It's the unknowns that makes us worry at night.
I am just making a guess here because I've never had my own house on land, but isn't this the same as being on the water? I hear of people in houses suddenly faced with the expenses of ..... a new roof, a broken pipe within all that cement under the floor, .... a new furnace or AC system, ...... cracks from foundation changes, ..... tree roots growing into pipes and sepic tanks, ..... house painting, ...... exterminators, .....lawns, ......cars and all the stuff that goes with care maintenance and replacements, .......property taxes? I've had friends and relatives with houses and I've heard them speak of these things and many of them seem to be less predictable than a need to replace a sail or keep the hull bottom clean.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45   #174

Sorry to hear that CO is not your cup of tea.

Please consider:
The third world starts farther north than you might think.
Cigarette smoking is alive and well.
Warm weather encourages sleeping outside, or in sketchy accomodations.
Education is not a top priority.
A global perspective is hard to find.
Humidity, moisture, mold is available in very large doses.
Mosquitos and No-See-Ums are very friendly.
An interesting and fast-growing biosphere will attach to your boat for your enjoyment.
Republican party is alive and well.
Politicians - well just fill in the blanks - same most everywhere.

And there is also:
No state income tax.
Many friends available in the older generation.
Friends "age-out" naturally pretty frequently, thus high turnover and constant source for new ones replacing them.
Televison does a tremendous job of keeping you up to date on all maladies, infirmaties and their cures and places that practice them.
Golf is cheap, in the summer.
Lightning storms are frequent and spectacular entertainment.
Alligator watching is possible.
Manatee watching is a great mood soother and relaxer.

Be prepared to miss that wood stove fire and the glow, and that heat that penetrates to your bones up to 3' from the stove. And the joy of gazing at the well-constructed woodpile that is the envy of your infrequent visitors, that provides such a grand home to rodents, snakes, and other poor critters.
No longer will you be able to test your road rally driving skills in mud on a frequent basis.
No snow days from work or school.
No snow at Christmas, although Santa does make a visit, not sure how...

Anyway cheers to you and best of luck! (Seriously consider San Diego!)
Tom
tmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52   #175

Here , here, yep all that and more.

Cutting down whole trees and cleaning up logging splitting is after time a chore not a pleasure(expect for the exercise)
SNOW days HA these folks it has to be DEEP for them to even consider it
Ok ok ok ok WE DO NOT even HAVE women in bathing suits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A joy and usually a pleasure to the eye.( unless of course they might be Walmart people)
The grass( and yes Colorado I grow it of course) is NOT greener in Florida just different

Anyway well put yes in deed
Old 02-09-2014, 20:11   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
.......................... The grass( and yes Colorado I grow it of course) is NOT greener in Florida just different
Hmmm. 'reminds me that I have not mowed a lawn since at my parents place in the spring of 1965.

I won't speak more of living aboard in Florida, but as 'brer rabbit once said, "oh please, please.. don't throw me in the briar patch!"
Old 02-09-2014, 20:20   #177

Correct me if I am wrong but that sounds as if there are much better places than Florida. And I am sure there are but gotta start somewhere.
I am from the burbs of Philly and now living in Colorado's high country there is no lawn to mow nor leaves to rake nor gutters to clean. But there is mud occasionally and snow.
Old 15-09-2014, 18:44   #178

Well, you ruled out all of Florida, except the Keys earlier, because it was "god's waiting room." That leaves Texas coast, which won't be to your political leanings, nor will anywhere on the Gulf Coast.

What are your priorities? Warm weather, work, school, cost of living? If you are willing to consider places other than the Keys, where work, school and the COL are not in your favor, I would suggest the west coast of Florida. Marina fees are much lower as is the COL. There are other places on the East Coast of Florida like the St. Lucie area and the Jacksonville, St. Augustine area.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 19:02   #179

Now wait a minute. I will consider almost anywhere . I am leaning towards starting in the Keys because I have camped there many times and went to Summer Camp Afloat there. I have friends in Texas who say their coast is no where near as nice , the waters are not as clear. I was visited parts of Florida' west coast and it looks very nice and only time will tell. Priorities are costs good people and perhaps schools. heck I would consider the inlands for that matter. Ah priorities are that amenities are closer and warmer weather , good food and good people
Old 15-09-2014, 19:10   #180

If you have an open mind, I have no doubt you can find a place that suits you somewhere in Florida. The northern third is pretty much "the South." Dade County (Miami) is its own little slice of the third world. West Coast is a a little more laid back, lots of Midwesterners. The South East Coast is lots of New Yorkers and pockets of Canadians. It's a pretty schizophrenic State
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat