Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 13:24   #16

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Getting Started on a Liveabroad cruiser

Well Sailfish,
Back then we didn't have these forums right? I started sailing when I was still single digits years old. But isn't it nice that today people have the benefit of previous experience of others?

Speaking of Slocum, happy anniversary!!!!

Today is the day in 1895 that Joshua Slocum set sail from Boston MA to become the first man ever to solo-circumnavigate the globe.

Thanks to Cryztle Slocum for reminding me
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 17:49   #17

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Well Sailfish,
Back then we didn't have these forums right? I started sailing when I was still single digits years old. But isn't it nice that today people have the benefit of previous experience of others?

Speaking of Slocum, happy anniversary!!!!

Today is the day in 1895 that Joshua Slocum set sail from Boston MA to become the first man ever to solo-circumnavigate the globe.
Yes, it is nice for the new dreamers to have sights like this. The info is invaluable.

And poor Joshua... he went clear around the world without getting to post on Facebook live or sign up for a Patreon account.

Happy Anniversary Joshua!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 00:02   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Not sure where you live but if in the USA take ASA sailing course - first one is a this is a sailboat - 2nd and 3rd are a bit more liveaboard and sailing - then charter a couple times

this life is not youtube or glossy mags that you may dream about - but is one of the greatest around IF
and the big IF is is it for you - we know of more than a few who started and quit as it was not for them and sold their boat at a big loss - expensive lesson learned

when we started our goal was sail to the Bahamas and back and not sink the boat - we went from there

as for cost - if you would do some research on this forum you would have found this
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-179783.html
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 00:03   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

All above comments full of great advice.
Partner has sailed, me never. We charted a small yacht for 2 weeks in terrible weather, enough to give us a taste. Then purchased in Greece. Been onboard for 13 months. Yes it has been an upward learning curve for me but I have loved it. Never frightened or worried just cautious. We plan carefully for passages, avoid bad weather where we can (cruising not racing!). Found this community on the water amazing, so willing to share advice or assistance. Fair winds and keep the dream alive!
debbierogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 00:52   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomq60 View Post
I see a lot of people using 38-43' Beneteau makes, is this the kind of boat that could be used to circumnavigate the world? I would love to hear your advice and recommendations.
The French don't make slow boats as sailing isn't so much a sport to them but a religion and Beneteau very popular fin keeled yachts more than capable of sailing offshore in the right season. So don't be put off by those who say you need some old out of date long keeled slouch, after all if they were so good they would still be building them.

You could do worse than look at some of the posts by MarkJ of this forum who is busy sailing a Beneteau 39 slowly around the world for the second time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 01:34   #21

Boat: Beneteau 323

You are using AUD so Im guessing you are in Australia. AUD $1500-2000 is a very tight budget for an international cruisung boat, especially if you have a AUD$100,000 boat.

Buying a boat overseas is a huge gamble because there is a large cost involved in going to inspect potential boats.

There is a general rule that I've found to be about right, that you will spend 10% of the value of your boat on maintenance. The first year you'll probably spend more.

You probably need to think a bit smaller in terms of boat size and/or cost because a $100,000 boat may eat up your entire budget.

If you are in Australia now, start cruising in Australia. Australia has amazing cruising grounds. Thus will keep your costs down. Medicare is a huge cost saver, for example. And there are tons of free anchorages and plenty of fish. But take plenty of beans in case you have a hard time catching them.

After you are comfortable cruising in Australia then you have plenty of options. You can sail to New Caledonia and onto other South Pacific islands or to Europe via Asia.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 10:09   #22

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Another vote here for learning to sail first (RYA Competent Crew and Dayskipper) and then seeing how much you really love it.
Also take to chance to sail through a couple of days and nights standing alternate watches. Hopefully you'll get a bit of challenging/cold weather for a bit of reality.
During these practice sessions you will probably sail in a GRP production boat and will find out what they are really like. I'm not advocating my personal preference here because there are many right answers as to what is the right long distance offshore boat.
As for budget - the answer is it takes whatever you have. If you think you have $100k for a boat budget I would spend less than half that on the boat and the rest on making it suitable for your needs. What we did, and were GLAD we did was buy a 26 footer that needed TLC and equipment. Aside from learning a lot about owning, repairing, refitting a boat, we also found out how much we love it and how much our dogs didn't.
I'm not sure why you think Europe is easier sailing. I found the Med very busy with other watercraft and around the UK has high tidal ranges.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser