Thought it time for a new update. Nothing particularly important has happened in the last little while, though..
The only thing I thought I would mention is that another boat did catch my eye for a little while. There's someone selling a 1975 Bayfield 23/25 in my area that's in pretty sweet condition. Has a 1991 Vire 12 instead of the original Vire 7, as well as a 1997 Mer. 9.9 outboard
and trailer for $1800. Pretty sweet deal.
So I've now been tossing between the Newport
28, which is free, and the Bayfield, which is almost free. Originally, I had thought that the Bayfield was the larger 25, with standing head
room and enclosed head. If it was, I would probably be leaning towards it for sure, considering it's full keel
with an impressive <3' draft
. But after discovering that it's the 23/25 model, without standing headroom
(5'9" and I'm 6' tall) or enclosed head, I decided against it, I think. I have to admit, in the process I've fallen in love with the Bayfield design and would trade
up the Newport 28 for a Bayfield 25 (or a Bayfield 29
) in an instant. The classic lines and heavy use of teak
are stunning, they're designed for bluewater cruising, and I could see a properly commissioned Bayfield turning a lot of heads hehe..
So, anyway, I've been starting to figure out the plan for commissioning the Newport, come Spring time. The logistics are going to be somewhat difficult. I live in Canada
, and the boat is currently registered in the US. I'm planning on taking a holiday from work towards the end of April, around 10 days. I'll head down to Ohio
where the boat is, and spend 7 - 10 days getting her up and running. The Atomic 4 in the Newport hasn't run for quite a while, but she looks brand new in photos, and was properly winterized the last time she WAS run. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get it started. Once splashed and running, I have to drive her across Lake Erie, and through the Detroit River against the current
, so a running engine
is a must.
The boat has sails
, although she lost
one of her head sails
when it was blown out during Hurricane
Sandy. The paint
job looks perfectly fine (based on photographs from when she was hauled in the Fall) and I've been assured she's watertight.
One point of concern is the keel bolts
. Newports were designed with keel bolts
"permanently" encased in epoxy
. However, the epoxy
in this boat has completely cracked apart, and there's a good amount of rust covering the bolts. I've attached a pic. I would really like an opinion from some CF'ers about these bolts and whether they seem sound to you or not. There doesn't appear to be any keel
separation or any water
intrusion at the joint. Still, I think I'm going to have to at least dig the bolts out, clean them off, and re-encase them somehow. Still figuring out what I'm going to do about this. Any advice would be appreciated.
The other thing I'm wondering (i.e. worrying) about is bringing the boat into Canada
from the US. I've researched the procedure for importing a boat from the US to Canada, but the part I'm foggy on is the fact that I'm getting the boat for free, so I have no idea how the Canadian Border Services is going to charge taxes
and duty. Like, would they try and figure out some sort of perceived value of the boat, or would there be no tax and duty as the boat was free? This, I have to figure out.
One idea had was this: my father lives in the US as a landed immigrant (he married a woman from Detroit). From what I understand, the PO wouldn't be able to "gift" the boat to me, as we are not related. However, I could have him transfer the ownership
to my dad, who could then, as family
, gift it to me. Am I way off on this assumption?
I really can't wait for this snow (2 feet yesterday!!!) to melt so I can start tackling some of these questions. More updates to come! Any feedback is mightly appreciated. Thanks!