Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 19:38   #226

Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

It doesn't even matter which it is. Fact of the matter is what strangers you don't know choose to legally get up to on their own time has absolutely no effect on how an unassociated party chooses to live his life. I think the the WWE & Monster Truck Rallies are complete rubbish, but when millions of people I don't know anything about choose to watch it , I lose absolutely nothing by them doing so. I could never work out just why the whole sexual orientation issue matters so much to those who's lives it has absolutely nothing to with? I don't have the tendency to waste a lot of time worrying about things which have nothing to do with my life, and most certainly don't obsess over things which are so unassociated with my daily life. The question is why is it so important for some to go so far out of their way to crap on the lives of complete strangers? The whole "It's my religion" thing is a complete cop out. Unless those people speak with equal vile and vigor re those who break their cloud hopping sky wizards rule against sex out of wedlock, then they are simply picking and choosing what to be "outraged" about based on their own personal insensibilities. They say they don't want it shoved down their throats, yet they've spent centuries trying to shove their fantasy friends version of proper living down the throats of those of us who don't even believe the fantasy fella exists.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 29-03-2015, 19:44   #227

One day you will.
Old 29-03-2015, 19:45   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm still waiting for your list of what issues you are concerned about as a boater, who is gay. I'm trying to understand the boating question (this is a boating forum), not argue about being gay (because I don't care). What boating issues have you faced because of being gay?

BTW - where is your boat located so we understand the boating question. In the area I live there may be a big difference between being at Provincetown MA and some some other location.
sailorboy,

I'm not too sure if you either missed it completely or your reading comprehension has been muddied by this being a glorious Sunday afternoon, but you might recall earlier posts which answer your repeated questions re: content.

Like this example of specific questions which were provided in a very courteous manner.

Why is this so hard for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This post answers the questions about what questions do you have. Might well have been a better OP.

You also say: There are countless others.

What we've experienced, on this and other boating forums is that there are "countless" [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]other posts that ask vague and generalized questions.

The answers are always: can you be more specific; your question doesn't include enough information for us to help you; without knowing the size of your battery bank we simply can't tell you what size charger to buy.

That kind of specificity is exactly the kind of INPUT anyone needs to answer ANY question, whether boating or not.

And since by basic logic the % of straights to gays on this forum shouldn't be much different than the real world %s, unless one is gay, they would have NO CLUE as to what a "gay question" is. I didn't.

Thanks for clarifying. And if you have more specific questions like these, then I'm sure the answers will be forthcoming because the questions are a lot clearer.

Re: Google. No, I didn't do that search, I just was asking if you had. Not everyone thinks of that as a "resource" for information, for some bizarre reason beyond me. Sorry to hear there's not much out there.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Originally Posted by gaysailorbill [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
Just to be clear on the kind of question that is gay cruiser oriented which we could not find anywhere...

"If the fishermen in the grenadines see me and my boyfriend kissing on deck in the morning will it cause a problem?"

"Will the immigration official in Jamaica give me a hard time if he thinks I'm gay, because I am an effeminate man."

"The Doyle guide says to get diesel here XX. But when we approached they saw we were a group of gay men due to the rainbow flag flying and they refused to service us. Do you know somewhere we can refuel that won't refuse us."

"The service i got in a boatyard on XX island found out that I was gay and indicated he would do the work but only if I gave him money in the side to keep him from telling the authorities. Should I be worried."

There are countless others.

I would not be able to find thhe answers to these questions on any gay travel forum... And possibly not in this one. Though I would try. And then I'd have to wade through the bull postings from the chattering hordes and maybe find an answer.

Or God forbid I ever wanted to meet other gay cruisers... Then where would I go? (And trust me there is as much difference of opinion on all issues among gay fold as there is among our straight comrades.)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 29-03-2015, 19:58   #229

Thanks, that was very good.

One can tell I think from who knows who George Carlin is and likes him.

I think he was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
It doesn't even matter which it is. Fact of the matter is what strangers you don't know choose to legally get up to on their own time has absolutely no effect on how an unassociated party chooses to live his life. I think the the WWE & Monster Truck Rallies are complete rubbish, but when millions of people I don't know anything about choose to watch it , I lose absolutely nothing by them doing so. I could never work out just why the whole sexual orientation issue matters so much to those who's lives it has absolutely nothing to with? I don't have the tendency to waste a lot of time worrying about things which have nothing to do with my life, and most certainly don't obsess over things which are so unassociated with my daily life. The question is why is it so important for some to go so far out of their way to crap on the lives of complete strangers? The whole "It's my religion" thing is a complete cop out. Unless those people speak with equal vile and vigor re those who break their cloud hopping sky wizards rule against sex out of wedlock, then they are simply picking and choosing what to be "outraged" about based on their own personal insensibilities. They say they don't want it shoved down their throats, yet they've spent centuries trying to shove their fantasy friends version of proper living down the throats of those of us who don't even believe the fantasy fella exists.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 29-03-2015, 20:10   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMENS DO.
Oh really: Homosexuality in ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29-03-2015, 20:54   #231

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

I suppose it all depends on your objective. If you are gay and you want everyone to know it, in the spirit of the children's song "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands," then by all means take such action as you deem necessary to make yourself known. To paraphrase Mark Twain, your enemies will be astonished and your friends will be gratified.

As for me, when it comes to cruising, or any other public activity, I want to have the least amount of hassle as possible. I don't walk up and down the pier with a Bible in my hands and I avoid discussions on controversial topics. If I come across someone who has an agenda to push or lacks common sense, like a grown man or woman smooching it up in broad daylight, with whomever, or gays holding hands outside of a place like Greenwich Village, I steer clear of them. Like anyone who tries to get "in your face," they are not acting rationally, in my opinion, in one facet of their life and are loose cannons.

If you arrive in the country where I live, where the practice of a gay lifestyle is a crime (although rarely prosecuted) and you are gay and don't act circumspectly, you might offend some good people and that's not cool. For example, being a red blooded American male, If I picked up a Playboy magazine in Miami, I would get rid of it before I boarded that plane to Nassau and I wouldn't be reading it on the East Bay Street bus.

Maybe you think that is terrible, but most of my friends are blacks and they are good honest people.
That is how they think, and you should show them some respect when you visit their country.

A large number of cruisers are families. I really don't want to have to explain to a five-year old why those two men are holding hands. Maybe you think I should have to. But I think children have enough to worry about without throwing sexual issues at them prematurely. Please have some consideration for innocent children. You are I suppose am adult and can control yourself. It will be worth it.

Believe me, heterosexuals as a rule don't care what you do in your private lives. It might be very important to you, but not to us. When I have trouble falling asleep at night, I read news stories of the celebrities and near-celebrities coming out as gay. Those stories always put me to sleep. If i really have trouble I read about transgender models. I usually am out cold after 45 seconds.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 29-03-2015, 21:04   #232

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
Thinking about it, there are a number of countries that do not have gay people, as they claim. I do not want to find out what would happen to gay people should they wish to visit. The thing is I would love to visit Russia, they do have some beautiful architecture and museums. Alas I vote with my Dollar, and I am unwilling, at this time, to send it there.
Yes. I agree. I refuse to go to Dubai or Saudi Arabia due to their treatment of women.
Old 29-03-2015, 21:04   #233

I am so glad that everyone has an opinion, that is great, could get back to the topic at hand and not how we feel about the topic?
Old 29-03-2015, 21:15   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post

If I come across someone who has an agenda to push or lacks common sense, like a grown man or woman smooching it up in broad daylight, with whomever, or gays holding hands outside of a place like Greenwich Village, I steer clear of them. Like anyone who tries to get "in your face," they are not acting rationally, in my opinion, in one facet of their life and are loose cannons.

Maybe you think that is terrible, but most of my friends are blacks and they are good honest people. Wow, are they. That's enlightening. I didn't know honesty was linked to colour.

A large number of cruisers are families. I really don't want to have to explain to a five-year old why those two men are holding hands. Maybe you think I should have to. But I think children have enough to worry about without throwing sexual issues at them prematurely. Please have some consideration for innocent children. You are I suppose am adult and can control yourself. It will be worth it. Don't come to Tasmania Australia then because whether your kind like it or not, gay's holding hands in this state are completely legal. So is kissing. Though, do it in the wrong place and it will attract the bogans. I guess, given what you have said it will also attact 'christians'.

Believe me, heterosexuals as a rule don't care what you do in your private lives. It might be very important to you, but not to us. When I have trouble falling asleep at night, I read news stories of the celebrities and near-celebrities coming out as gay. Those stories always put me to sleep. If i really have trouble I read about transgender models. I usually am out cold after 45 seconds.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Believe it or not, and I know you won't because your really quite terrified of gays, and from what I just read of heterosexuals kissing in public, children don't seem to get as hassled about this as you seem to. My nine year old child has a friend with two mums. We found out her friend had two mums, through our child mentioning it. But she didn't question it, other than telling us there is no dad. Quite the opposite to your fear.
Old 29-03-2015, 21:27   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
I am so glad that everyone has an opinion, that is great, could get back to the topic at hand and not how we feel about the topic?
You will find that on almost every topic of any length on CF, several thread drifts seem to take place. Mind you, I've been guilt of such in the past, now and then. Much like herding cats.
Old 29-03-2015, 21:33   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You will find that on almost every topic of any length on CF, several thread drifts seem to take place. Mind you, I've been guilt of such in the past, now and then. Much like herding cats.
yea i know, sometimes i feel i need to remind people why we are here, don't take me wrong, i enjoy the banter, even when it's sad.
Old 29-03-2015, 21:43   #237

Boat: Catalina 30

gaysailorbill:

I copied part of the post you quoted from Canibul.
I agree that it is indicative of the worst of the
homophobic attitude here.

This part: "keep your sexual proclivities between you and your significant other. That's what normal people do."

He assumes you have a significant other -- or he believes
you should just suppress any instinct to find any romantic
other while you are sailing.

Any straight sailor would not have to advertise their
leanings and can still hit on someone of the opposite
gender.

Canibul is in effect telling you to stuff it. I hope the
straights following this thread understand that.

A rainbow flag is a polite way to advertise. I'm sorry
it will also be used by homophobes to cause you harm.

Also, sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I couldn't keep
up with the posts after about page 13. I apologize if
this has already been covered.

I'm out of this discussion.
Old 29-03-2015, 21:53   #238

Guys (and gals) when you see posts such as the new member who's very first post is clearly inciteful, such as he who has now left, can I suggest that rather engaging his trolling you report the post to the mods. It was clearly inappropriate and only leads to further inappropriate posts.

in other words, don't feed the trolls!
Old 29-03-2015, 21:57   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Guys (and gals) when you see posts such as the new member who's very first post is clearly inciteful, such as he who has now left, can I suggest that rather engaging his trolling you report the post to the mods. It was clearly inappropriate and only leads to further inappropriate posts.

in other words, don't feed the trolls!
absolutely agree
Old 30-03-2015, 03:57   #240

Quote:
When in rome, Do as the Romans do
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Touche!

I laughed so heartily about that one, my coworker started looking at me strangely.

As far as my take on the subject, I think this thread answers the OP's question. Sadly its not always going to be sunshine and smooth seas.
I hope that the reality doesnt stop him from persuing his dream.

Personally, for me, life isnt about finding people who think the same as me. Without our differences, this world would be a very dull place.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay