Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 13:26   #166

Boat: CS 27
Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
It's my boat, I am the Captain! We don't take polls or form committees to make the decisions on my boat. I always recommend guests to bring their own floatation device if they object to orders from the Captain. Go to you stateroom and party but I don't want my boat to be a spectacle. You must be new to boat ownership to not understand the chain of command. There has to be discipline at all times.
At what point does it become a spectacle? Handholding?
Old 29-03-2015, 13:27   #167

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

The thing about being a cruiser, is that you are always a guest.
A few months ago I spent a week at a boatyard on the east coast of the US, working on my project.
One night I visited a nearby restaurant to acquire much-needed nourishment. Alone, I occupied a seat at the bar to eat the repast offered me.
I could hear a man's voice talking to the bartender/waitress, but, looking up, only saw the back of a matronly looking lady on the bar stool.
When she/he turned around, I saw one of the strapping men from the boatyard, with a wig and a charming matching clutch purse.
We had an interesting conversation about various facets of refits applicable to metal boats.
The situation of his attire never came up.
I am as conservative of a person in all respects as you would ever find.
Being cruisers, we expect the unexpected. We can find ourselves on the edge of survival, then in a paradise the next day.
As long as we take care not to overtly offend, we can all get along.
Just as I would never boink a woman on my foredeck at the marina, or for the same matter, PDA in a foreign land, I would expect that a gay or lesbian couple would refrain from PDA in public in usual situation.
If I am in a public area with children, I think its appropriate for people to refrain from profanity too.
If you are in a conservative country,why not avoid offending them? Its just common sense.
If i were in Saudia Arabia, I won't be wearing a T-shirt saying "jesus saves."
If i am in Corpus Christi, I won't wear the one that says "jesus saves--at my credit union."

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 29-03-2015, 13:28   #168

Quote:
It's my boat, I am the Captain! We don't take polls or form committees to make the decisions on my boat. I always recommend guests to bring their own floatation device if they object to orders from the Captain. Go to you stateroom and party but I don't want my boat to be a spectacle. You must be new to boat ownership to not understand the chain of command. There has to be discipline at all times.
I am sorry, I must have misunderstood your meaning of your post.
Old 29-03-2015, 13:40   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Many people have have stated they "don't care what you do in your bedroom... etc"

So would you be okay with a gay couple on your boat sitting on the deck with their arms around each other? Or is that too far?
Why would it?
Old 29-03-2015, 13:48   #170

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Interesting thread...

Man asks question about possible issues with a particular lifestyle choice while cruising.
Man gets lots of answers to his question and various comments.
Man shows appreciation to answers and responds to both positive and negative comments thoughtfully and without rancour.
Various commentators criticize other commentators for perceived impoliteness.
NOBODY used vitriolic language and nobody was overtly rude, nobody censored the OP's lifestyle.
Pretty cool forum.

Welcome Varlan

Paul
Old 29-03-2015, 13:52   #171

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaysailorbill View Post
Hi there. Just so I'm not misunderstood, the reason for my profile name is not to put straight folk off but rather to open abou lt who I am and make it easy for other gay sailors to identify me... Even if it comes with some risk
In my experience, the majority of gay people are pretty much regular people who happen to be homosexual. Their lives don't revolve around their homosexuality, they revolve around the same things heterosexual people's lives revolve around. Family, friends, careers, hobbies, etc.

A few gay people seem to base their lives around being gay, not the things mentioned above. By selecting a screen name of "gaysailorbill", you appear to be one of this second group. I may be mistaken but that's the impression your screen name gives.

I talked about dressing. If you dress like other cruisers, according to the season, and don't flaunt your "gayness", you are likely to be accepted by other cruisers and people in the places you visit. They won't ask and they won't care.

If you are one of the stereotypical gays often seen on the Jerry Springer TV show, prancing around town wearing purple tights and a pink ruffled blouse, you're not going to have such an easy time.

I respect you choice and sexual preference but less so if you chose to make an issue of it when none is needed.
Old 29-03-2015, 13:55   #172

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
At what point does it become a spectacle? Handholding?
Does everything have to be put in writing?

Reminds me of my attorney telling me I needed an employee manual. It never stopped getting amended for one situation or another.

Back at ya: what do you think PDA means?
Old 29-03-2015, 13:55   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Interesting thread...

Man asks question about possible issues with a particular lifestyle choice while cruising.

Man gets lots of answers to his question and various comments.

Man shows appreciation to answers and responds to both positive and negative comments thoughtfully and without rancour.

Various commentators criticize other commentators for perceived impoliteness.

NOBODY used vitriolic language and nobody was overtly rude, nobody censored the OP's lifestyle.

Pretty cool forum.

Welcome Varlan

Paul

Thanks, I most certainly did not want to be Socrates talking to the Athenians, nor do I want this thread to become that.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:05   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yes please spell it out further and answer the question! This is the Liveaboard section of a boating forum and you asked about gay boating issues.

So what are your believed gay BOATING issues, or was the whole thread just a troll to start with?

I think we are having a misunderstanding on the definitions of boating issues and cruising issues. The misunderstanding may be mine, if so I will correct it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:11   #175

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
I think we are having a misunderstanding on the definitions of boating issues and cruising issues. The misunderstanding may be mine, if so I will correct it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I am beginning to think you are trolling, and found this site by googling cruisers. Which is a hijacked term that the LGBT people refer to themselves.

Couldn't find anything in your profile indicating you have a boat. If you do, tell us about it.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:19   #176

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I am beginning to think you are trolling, and found this site by googling cruisers. Which is a hijacked term that the LGBT people refer to themselves.

Couldn't find anything in your profile indicating you have a boat. If you do, tell us about it.

This accusations accusing him of Trolling are ridiculous. He's been contributing and responding. Nothing wrong with him finding this site by Googleing Cruisers. That's how I found it.

Nothing wrong with him not having a boat, I didn't either when I first joined.

It's really simple, if you don't like the OP's Question dont read it and don't contribute. There are thousands of other threads.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:23   #177

Boat: valiant 40
Red face Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

12 pages about a non issue really
Old 29-03-2015, 14:24   #178

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;1788087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

where did you read "WHITE" in anything that was written,..... color was never brought into this.

You are quite right, I apologise. I should have said, 'heterosexuality' not white. I think 'white' was my assumption.

I responded to your post challenging that 'straight' (was the word) people are not harassed and you responded by claiming they are with your announcement that your a 'polygamist'. So I was pointing out that it's not your 'straightness' that your being harassed for but your 'polygamy'.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:24   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
wow that was fast.

Didn't notice the OP asking for 'recognition', 'approval', or to be 'treated any different than anyone else.'

And I've seen many threads here that are of the format 'I'm (some group they identify with), anyone else (that group)? Let's talk about stuff from (that group's) perspective.' Much like this one.

But when (some group) is 'diabetic', or 'new to boating', or 'Canadian', I suspect you don't jump on the thread and make a vitriolic post like this.
Chris, I don't think Randy was saying anything wrong - he just pointed out 'so what'.
He was not discriminating as far as I could read.
Old 29-03-2015, 14:25   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since I still don't understand what the gay sailing questions are why don't you tell us what you feel they are? And don't post gay general questions because that isn't this forum, this is a boating forum.

Because currently this seems to me to .................... (I could care less if someone is gay, so I decide to just not post what I'm thinking )
I have you a list of starter questions
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay