Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 10:59   #136

Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
1. Would a boat full of Jews wearing Yamaka's on their head be "Throwing their Religion in your Face"?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Would a boat full of Christians wearing crosses around their necks be"Throwing their religion in your face"?
Yes.

Quote:
3. Would a boat full of gays wearing rainbow bandanas be "Throwing their sexuality in your face"?
Yes. But I want to party with them!

Quote:
4. Would a boat full of women wearing skimpy bikinis be "Throwing their sexuality in your face".

Quote:
5. Would a boat full of Americans wearing flag shirts be "Throwing their nationality in your face"?
Yes.

Quote:
6. Would a boat full of Persians wearing flag shirts be "Throwing their nationality in your face"?
Yes.

Quote:
Just when is it acceptable to identify with the minority you're a member of? Or should we instead just never identify our nationality, religion, sexuality, or any other "ality"? As long as folks are consistent in their outrage to these various identifications of their minority associations, then I've no issue with it. But when they pick and choose which to be outraged about and which they are accepting of, well then that's just bigotry in motion. The silly idea that "What's ok to me is the right way for the world to be".

Signed

"Canadian Flag Patch"
We are all perceived as what we project to the world. Want to be a thug? Dress and act like one, and that's how the world perceives you. Want to be a family man? Get married, have children, devote your life to them. Bingo, you're a family man. Want to be some sort of radical revolutionary? Pick your cause, study it, live it, fight for it, and bingo, you're a revolutionary.

Ever wonder why some black people or some Hispanics always have problems with the world, or the other way around? Because that's how they identify themselves, that's how they're perceived, that's how they're treated - as a minority instead of a man.

I knew a guy who did nothing but complain about the plight of the Hispanic man, how he came from a proud heritage, blah blah.

I asked him, "What have you accomplished in your life. YOU, personally?" He couldn't think of anything. He tried to claim 3 kids, sorry, that's not an accomplishment, crack hoes do that every day, pump out kids. I told him the point of the exercise was: you don't get any respect because you haven't done anything to earn that respect as a man. You're always clinging to your "Heritage" like that is supposed to get you respect, but it doesn't, because subconsciously, everyone realizes if you had accomplished anything to be proud of, you wouldn't be waving that Mexican flag like a helicopter trying to take off.

My next door neighbor is black. That's not how I view him, he's a very involved father of 3 girls. If I had to describe him in one sentence, it would be an outstanding father who is always there for them and provides like any hard working father would. His skin color doesn't factor into it, because he never makes an issue of it. We talk about current events, including the racial tensions in many cities, and he's very logical and thoughtful about it. We agree on just about everything because we look at it all logically, objectively. He's also ex-Navy, so we were trained to think logically.

I don't think the answer is more tolerance of different cultures in the US, for example. I think the answer is to assimilate into the new culture. I was born in Japan, and I'm a naturalized citizen of the US. The only flag that flies in font of my house is the US flag, never the Japanese flag. Am I proud of my heritage - yes, but I identify myself as ME, not my heritage. I can fly a foreign flag inside my house if I choose, but out of respect for the flag of my chosen country, the US flag is the only one I will fly publicly.

Is it some huge sacrifice? Does it demean my heritage somehow? Not in my opinion.

Every person whom I've ever met who has met with resistance or had problems with the world at large brought it upon themselves by not blending in with the majority.

If I was in any foreign country, I would not fly the US flag on their soil out of respect for their sovereignty. I think that's only basic courtesy. By doing other wise is provoking the majority in that area, and that's never a good idea, regardless of what you feel your human rights are. There are plenty of countries in this world where they really don't care about your rights. If you push it, you'll die quickly, if you're lucky.

So why push it?

What you do privately is your own business, what you do publicly soon turns into everyone else's business, like it or not, it's just human nature.

When I envision the future where all discrimination and bigotry is gone, it will be because everyone identifies themselves as a person, not any nationality or heritage or culture. That's what will bring us all together, not emphasizing our differences, but our similarities.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:04   #137

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;1788079]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but being 'white' is not what your being shunned for but your polygamy.
where did you read "WHITE" in anything that was written,..... color was never brought into this.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:04   #138

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;1788071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post

I dont know about that one Leo... I'm a practicing Polygamist and have been for over 40 years.. not only am I shunted for my belief, I could very well go to jail for what I do.. Here in the US..

Just a different way of looking at it..

But the difference is, its my personal life and not shared with others..
Did you ever watch the TV Series "Big Love"? I was so disappointed when it wasn't renewed because I was throughly enjoying learning more about the lifestyle in the manner presented on the show. It never ceases to amaze me the vigor with which the "small govt" crowd insists on having the govt enter the bedroom.

"Regulate healthcare requirements for a 100,000 person corporation" = Evil Govt.

"Regulate what consenting adults do in their bedroom" = Govt should be front and center.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 29-03-2015, 11:11   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

To address a point that has been raised once or twice (and my apologies if I missed a previous response to this), I think it just as valid to ask about gay issues cruising on a cruising forum vs a gay forum as it is to ask about gun issues and cruising on a cruising forum vs a gun forum.

Sure in both cases the concerns will usually be the same for land based vs boating based travelers but not always.

Now if I can just think of a good link to anchors I'll be batting 1000.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:15   #140
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
I re-read the OPs initial post and for the life of me I can't find a single demand in it?

Perception is reality. You will find what you please, as will I. The question itself presents a demand and inserts qualifiers as part of the discussion. This will inevitability force polarization... likely by design; look at how the comments have gone! Black cruisers, religious cruisers, atheist cruisers, whatever cruisers.... Interject such qualifiers and you incite emotion based reasoning. Usually by design.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:30   #141
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems that really most here are really only interested in a way to trash each others posts. Even if it means trashing one the was supportive. So I'll post what a believe is a fairly close truth that will holds for most.

Cruisers/sailors/boaters generally don't like gay Nazi boaters unless they stay way deep in the closet.

For some of the posters here, if people don't like you and you are gay, it isn't the gay part I feel they dislike.
Old 29-03-2015, 11:31   #142

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

[QUOTE=Leo Ticheli;1788058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post

There is no straight pride movement because straight people were never persecuted or even killed for being straight. This should be simple to understand; it's the same reason black America needed the civil rights movement.

I don't find anything offensive in the OP; if you do, I would say you are far too easily offended.

Fair winds,

Leo
I'm not offended have gay friends, could care less what you do in the bedroom, but by your statement, millions of Jews were killed, the US didnt want to do anything at first, Women did not have equality in the US until,,, heck not so sure they do yet looking at some major corporations male to female ratios. Why dont we see their (Pride or whatever movements) is it because they are less Flamboyant?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-03-2015, 11:40   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

We are all perceived as what we project to the world. Want to be a thug? Dress and act like one, and that's how the world perceives you. Want to be a family man? Get married, have children, devote your life to them. Bingo, you're a family man. Want to be some sort of radical revolutionary? Pick your cause, study it, live it, fight for it, and bingo, you're a revolutionary.

Ever wonder why some black people or some Hispanics always have problems with the world, or the other way around? Because that's how they identify themselves, that's how they're perceived, that's how they're treated - as a minority instead of a man.

I knew a guy who did nothing but complain about the plight of the Hispanic man, how he came from a proud heritage, blah blah.

I asked him, "What have you accomplished in your life. YOU, personally?" He couldn't think of anything. He tried to claim 3 kids, sorry, that's not an accomplishment, crack hoes do that every day, pump out kids. I told him the point of the exercise was: you don't get any respect because you haven't done anything to earn that respect as a man. You're always clinging to your "Heritage" like that is supposed to get you respect, but it doesn't, because subconsciously, everyone realizes if you had accomplished anything to be proud of, you wouldn't be waving that Mexican flag like a helicopter trying to take off.

My next door neighbor is black. That's not how I view him, he's a very involved father of 3 girls. If I had to describe him in one sentence, it would be an outstanding father who is always there for them and provides like any hard working father would. His skin color doesn't factor into it, because he never makes an issue of it. We talk about current events, including the racial tensions in many cities, and he's very logical and thoughtful about it. We agree on just about everything because we look at it all logically, objectively. He's also ex-Navy, so we were trained to think logically.

I don't think the answer is more tolerance of different cultures in the US, for example. I think the answer is to assimilate into the new culture. I was born in Japan, and I'm a naturalized citizen of the US. The only flag that flies in font of my house is the US flag, never the Japanese flag. Am I proud of my heritage - yes, but I identify myself as ME, not my heritage. I can fly a foreign flag inside my house if I choose, but out of respect for the flag of my chosen country, the US flag is the only one I will fly publicly.

Is it some huge sacrifice? Does it demean my heritage somehow? Not in my opinion.

Every person whom I've ever met who has met with resistance or had problems with the world at large brought it upon themselves by not blending in with the majority.

If I was in any foreign country, I would not fly the US flag on their soil out of respect for their sovereignty. I think that's only basic courtesy. By doing other wise is provoking the majority in that area, and that's never a good idea, regardless of what you feel your human rights are. There are plenty of countries in this world where they really don't care about your rights. If you push it, you'll die quickly, if you're lucky.

So why push it?

What you do privately is your own business, what you do publicly soon turns into everyone else's business, like it or not, it's just human nature.

When I envision the future where all discrimination and bigotry is gone, it will be because everyone identifies themselves as a person, not any nationality or heritage or culture. That's what will bring us all together, not emphasizing our differences, but our similarities.
Why is having pride in where you came from, or your religion, considered throwing it in people's faces?

I understand your point, and I don't disagree. I believe the world would be a better place if we all kept our personal beliefs that could conflict with others' beliefs to ourselves, but this isn't a perfect world.
And even if it were, where would conversations start?

I especially agree with your last paragraph, but I think a part of that has to come from learning tolerance and accepting those who believe different from you (not YOU in particular, "you" as in everyone)
Old 29-03-2015, 11:58   #144
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
The "but" brigade is out in full force. "I not against gays, but ..."
Show me where that quote was in my post.

Or did you make it up entirely and try to attribute it to me somehow?
Old 29-03-2015, 12:10   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Show me where that quote was in my post.

Or did you make it up entirely and try to attribute it to me somehow?
"forget the immedite accusations that I'm homophobic or something. That's rubbish. But ..."
Old 29-03-2015, 12:17   #146

Boat: a sailing boat

I think, in the sailing aspect, there is nothing special ever. Whatever you are, the ocean will measure you with its own stick, not with yours. The ocean will find out what you are made out of, if you sail long enough.

Now in the cruising aspect, I think the cruising crowd is just like any other crowd. Crowds peck. Then again, the cruising crowd is less homogenous than the shore crowd, with higher rate of oddballs, misfits and individualists than the shore crowd, and so there seems to be less pecking than in land life. I have heard nonsense spoken about unnamed "gay terrorists" but I have not seen a single open verbal nor personal attack. So, I say, that's pretty good record.

And then the destinations, they seem to be as open or intolerant as their governments are, and governments are what the people who elect them are. You can't be openly communist in the US. You can't be openly gay in Russia. I would investigate all my landfalls before making them, just as any prudent navigator should.

Doh. My two eurocents. I say welcome to the cruising club, be what you are, enjoy your ride and stay away from places and people that are known for their immaculate moral standards.

Cheers,
barnakiel
Old 29-03-2015, 12:26   #147

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Ohhhh! Happy to meet you GaySailorBill, MarkStAug, Varlin, CristinaBruce, etc……..Will you please take me shopping!
Old 29-03-2015, 12:27   #148

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

LOL Only half joking, as I miss my best friend, who happened to be gay, but sadly died in his early forties. I miss him. My wardrobe has gone to hell since! And yes, I understand that it is not correct to paint all gay people with a broad brush of fashion, style, and good taste. But damn, he seriously had all of those traits. Plus, the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever met in my life. Not my only gay friend either. Male or female.
I can certainly understand why you would be here asking questions as to what to expect in different cruising grounds in our country as well as foreign. I witnessed firsthand what my friends have had to/or have to, deal with, here in the U.S. in their everyday life. Not always nice. Sometimes quite violent. But, as stated there is hope in the next generation as more seem to be willing to “To live and let Live”.
I was called the devil on Facebook last year by a religious zealot for promoting woman’s rights. Bwhahahahaahahahaha What a compliment!
I offer my warmest welcome to you!
Old 29-03-2015, 12:28   #149

Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

So I've been reading and a thought entered my mind; there are people here that say I don't care if your gay and there are people that say why do you throw your gayness in my face.

Last time I checked, every person here values their privacy, yes? But, would it not be true that, by the very nature of cruising lifestyle, we actually have very limited privacy while in a marina. Everyone knows, or assumes, who the people next to them are, even when anchoring somewhere sound travels. So, we have virtually no privacy, except for the privacy that is afforded to us, as cruisers, by others (and I'm not even going to comment on the use of binoculars). We, as cruisers, have learned that in order to "survive" in our cruising culture, one must ignore some proclivities of others. Another words, if someone is a polygamist, that is their business and as long as we are not involved and they don't harm us or others, we tolerate them. I would be interested to know how many people actually don't mind their neighbors and how many are forcing themselves to not mind their neighbors. A question that will never be answered and i don't expect an answer. (I'm not going to mention those that do mind and say so, because we will hear from them sooner or later.)

For those that think that this thread does not belong on this forum, please tell me where it belongs, but when you do tell me, make sure that you research your answer for the specific net location before you tell me, because I have not found one, in years of searching. That is why I posed it here, in the "live aboard" section of the "cruising forum".

Lastly, for those of you who know, by experience or word of mouth, where would be an unsafe area to cruise for gay people, and why?

Respectfully yours ....
Old 29-03-2015, 12:34   #150

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Welcome to the motley crew ChrisTinaBruce!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay