Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 04:05   #241

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post

It seems to me that those of us on this forum who are not heterosexual white men understand your concerns. And a lot of the straight white guys do, too, for which I am glad. I like the rainbow

How about the crazy idea that most heterosexual white men are evolved enough to be at this level? No reason to think not.

This thread is about Cruising on ships. As in pay a handsome fee to be a guest in a floating hotel. What does that have to do with this forum which is a platform for ALL people interested in being on the the many types of boats they can sail themselves.

Thread bait...and I went for it.
Old 30-03-2015, 04:07   #242

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Guys (and gals) when you see posts such as the new member who's very first post is clearly inciteful, such as he who has now left, can I suggest that rather engaging his trolling you report the post to the mods. It was clearly inappropriate and only leads to further inappropriate posts.

in other words, don't feed the trolls!

Amen. Check please!
Old 30-03-2015, 05:15   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

perhaps this is relevant to the op's concerns

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ji-143716.html
Old 30-03-2015, 08:42   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

An in fact it is, thank you.
Old 30-03-2015, 08:49   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

So New York construction workers have moved to Fiji? :-\

Naturally the only appropriate response to something that awful, is an inappropriate joke.

This world can be a very ugly place sometimes. Fortunately, they have the option of pulling the anchor and heading somewhere more friendly. When that area of Fiji finds their economy slumping maybe they will make the connection.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-03-2015, 09:28   #246

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue62 View Post
One day you will.
No I wont.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:25   #247

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I suppose it all depends on your objective. If you are gay and you want everyone to know it, in the spirit of the children's song "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands," then by all means take such action as you deem necessary to make yourself known. To paraphrase Mark Twain, your enemies will be astonished and your friends will be gratified.

As for me, when it comes to cruising, or any other public activity, I want to have the least amount of hassle as possible. I don't walk up and down the pier with a Bible in my hands and I avoid discussions on controversial topics. If I come across someone who has an agenda to push or lacks common sense, like a grown man or woman smooching it up in broad daylight, with whomever, or gays holding hands outside of a place like Greenwich Village, I steer clear of them. Like anyone who tries to get "in your face," they are not acting rationally, in my opinion, in one facet of their life and are loose cannons.

If you arrive in the country where I live, where the practice of a gay lifestyle is a crime (although rarely prosecuted) and you are gay and don't act circumspectly, you might offend some good people and that's not cool. For example, being a red blooded American male, If I picked up a Playboy magazine in Miami, I would get rid of it before I boarded that plane to Nassau and I wouldn't be reading it on the East Bay Street bus.

Maybe you think that is terrible, but most of my friends are blacks and they are good honest people.
That is how they think, and you should show them some respect when you visit their country.

A large number of cruisers are families. I really don't want to have to explain to a five-year old why those two men are holding hands. Maybe you think I should have to. But I think children have enough to worry about without throwing sexual issues at them prematurely. Please have some consideration for innocent children. You are I suppose am adult and can control yourself. It will be worth it.

Believe me, heterosexuals as a rule don't care what you do in your private lives. It might be very important to you, but not to us. When I have trouble falling asleep at night, I read news stories of the celebrities and near-celebrities coming out as gay. Those stories always put me to sleep. If i really have trouble I read about transgender models. I usually am out cold after 45 seconds.
WOW!!!!! ... There is just so much wrong with this post that it is hard to resist the temptation not to address them point by point. But to do so would leave me open to the same accusation of prejudice and intolerance. Suffice to say that while I cannot agree with the poster I defend their right to hold their views.

To the OP I say, in my experience silly attitudes like these are not held by the majority of cruisers and you should not let them spoil your cruising experience. Get out there and enjoy a lifestyle and community that will overwhelmingly respect you for the person you are, not for what you believe or not believe.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:31   #248

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
At the risk of sounding contrary, my impression is that gay people are less visible in the cruising community than ashore.

In my home country, Australia, I am a member of a gay yachting club where I spend most of my limited social and sailing time. But I don't think that was the OP's original point. I think he was asking more about experiences in overseas or global cruising community.

My home port is Thailand and I can honestly say I have never experienced any overt homophobia by the cruising community there. The community consists mostly of white couples either based there or resting part way through their world cruise. Then there is a fair percentage of "older salts" who have made the place their home and many of them have found a local lady for a partner. In my three years there I have only met one gay man and no gay women in the cruising community.

While I am not the sort of person that goes around wearing my sexuality on my sleeve or proselytising I don't shirk from it either. Frankly, I am not interested in what bedroom activities other people get up to and I expect them to be equally disinterested in mine. That attitude seems to be a pretty universal rule. People respect each others privacy.

On the other hand, I don't have any girlfriends and I am pretty sure the good looking young men I sometimes take cruising with me raise some eyebrows. However, the subject of my sexuality has only come up in conversation twice in three years where I felt it was necessary to be frank.

I have never heard any homophobic remarks made in conversation or experienced any sort of overt discrimination by people in the cruising community or from local workers in the marina where I am berthed.

I may be an exception, as has been pointed out already, different countries have different customs and Thailand has a reputation of being more liberal than most. If I have any misgivings, it would be nice to have a few more acquaintances like me just to have a good old gossip and a few ales with.

I hope that answers you question.
Hell, I'm straight and believe some eyebrows have been raised when having a male friend staying onboard.
Old 30-03-2015, 12:44   #249

Boat: Catalina 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
WOW!!!!! ... There is just so much wrong with this post that it is hard to resist the temptation not to address them point by point. But to do so would leave me open to the same accusation of prejudice and intolerance. Suffice to say that while I cannot agree with the poster I defend their right to hold their views.

To the OP I say, in my experience silly attitudes like these are not held by the majority of cruisers and you should not let them spoil your cruising experience. Get out there and enjoy a lifestyle and community that will overwhelmingly respect you for the person you are, not for what you believe or not believe.

Did he just say..........."Lifestyle"?????

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2015, 13:28   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4bass View Post
Did he just say..........."Lifestyle"?????

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Isn't cruising a lifestyle?
Old 31-03-2015, 09:50   #251

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This thread has drifted away from anything related to sailing and is now closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay