Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 15:10   #196

Boat: Little Harbor 58
Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaysailorbill View Post
I like this person. Of course he/she is Canadian.
Oh geez! you need some cheese with that whine
Old 29-03-2015, 15:24   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
when I first seen your handle I just assumed you were a happy chap. I'm showing my age with what 'gay' once meant.
I'm also a really happy chap.

But I am riled and happy to debate until the cows come home... 🐮
Old 29-03-2015, 15:26   #198
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Somene asks a perfectly reasonable question about cruising while gay, and it turns into a pretty fun throwing match between people who retain antiquated bigotry and those who don't. None of which has much of anything to do with the question.

In reality there are a lot of issues that need to be adressed...

1) Gay marriages are not recognized thru much of the Carribean. So it is necessary to take steps to minimize this. Things like Writs of Use for the boat will be necessary unless both people in a couple are on the title and insurance for the boat. Medical power of attorneys need to be written since otherwise your spouse won't be recognized as next of kin.

2) if traveling with children many countries won't recognize adoptions by gay couples, so Power of Attorney letters need to be written, and specifically include international travel, medical decisions, ect.

3) in a number of countries there are still substantial criminal penalties for being gay, not just for homosexual acts. It is critical to either avoid or at least recognize the risk when traveling to these countries.

I make no guarantee that this list is complete, acurate, or even correct. But I would seriously recommend contacting the U.S. embasy in these countries before traveling as a gay couple to inquire about the realities. Many countries have stopped enforcing the laws, or onoy enforce them against nationals.

Antigua and Barbuda - 15 years in prison
Belize - 10 years in prison
Barbados - life in prison
Dominica - 10 years in prison or psychiatric ward
Grenada - 10 years in prison
Guyana - up to life in prison
Jamaica - 10 years at hard labor
St Kitts and Nevis - 10 years in prison
St Lucia - 10 years in prison
St Vincent and the Grenadines - 10 years in prison
Trinidad and Tobago - 25 years in prison

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:33   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Somene asks a perfectly reasonable question about cruising while gay, and it turns into a pretty fun throwing match between people who retain antiquated bigotry and those who don't. None of which has much of anything to do with the question.

1) Gay marriages are not recognized thru much of the Carribean. So it is necessary to take steps to minimize this. Things like Writs of Use for the boat will be necessary unless both people in a couple are on the title and insurance for the boat. Medical power of attorneys need to be written since otherwise your spouse won't be recognized as next of kin.

2) if traveling with children many countries won't recognize adoptions by gay couples, so Power of Attorney letters need to be written, and specifically include international travel, medical decisions, ect.

3) in a number of countries there are still substantial criminal penalties for being gay, not just for homosexual acts. It is critical to either avoid or at least recognize the risk when traveling to these countries.

I make no guarantee that this list is complete, acurate, or even correct. But I would seriously recommend contacting the U.S. embasy in these countries before traveling as a gay couple to inquire about the realities. Many countries have stopped enforcing the laws, or onoy enforce them against nationals.

Thank you
Old 29-03-2015, 15:35   #200

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

And though you can't sail there, according to some authorities Ethiopia doesn't have any gay people (nor rapists), and I tend to recall Putin or one of his cronies suggesting the same thing?
Old 29-03-2015, 15:36   #201

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;1788087]
Quote:

where did you read "WHITE" in anything that was written,..... color was never brought into this.
What might perhaps be more accurate is that you're not discriminated against because you are straight.. Rather you are persecuted for your (presumably) religious beliefs from which your belief in polygamy likely came. That is quite a hot potato which I hesitate ttowade into since that last sentence was the sum total about which I know.

I would posit though that the reasons you aren't open with others about your true life and beliefs is that you fear judgement and persecution.. And (without stating a personal opinion one way or the other) wouldn't it be a glorious day when you and your wives (if married) felt safe and secure enough to present yourselves as you truly are.

Think of it.. Think of the feelings of security for yourself and your family.. And I'm not talking about what you do in the bedroom.. I couldn't care less.. But if you wanted to hold hands with one or both or all of your partners I would welcome you with open arms.. And if you had a flag that proclaimed your are a polygamist, I would applaud you and say, "that is a courageous man to live his life in the open." And if I were in a marina with you is give you a little cheer when I went by. And if someone gave you a hard time, I'd be the first to come to your aid, whether I liked your life or not.

Now that is a cruising community I could come to love.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:41   #202

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

[QUOTE=gaysailorbill;1788343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post

What might perhaps be more accurate is that you're not discriminated against because you are straight.. Rather you are persecuted for your (presumably) religious beliefs from which your belief in polygamy likely came. That is quite a hot potato which I hesitate ttowade into since that last sentence was the sum total about which I know.

I did correct this and apologise to him for using the term 'white'

I would posit though that the reasons you aren't open with others about your true life and beliefs is that you fear judgement and persecution.. And (without stating a personal opinion one way or the other) wouldn't it be a glorious day when you and your wives (if married) felt safe and secure enough to present yourselves as you truly are.

Can you be a 'polygamist' and not be married?

Think of it.. Think of the feelings of security for yourself and your family.. And I'm not talking about what you do in the bedroom.. I couldn't care less.. I'd be interested But if you wanted to hold hands with one or both or all of your partners I would welcome you with open arms.. And if you had a flag that proclaimed your are a polygamist, I would applaud you and say, "that is a courageous man to live his life in the open." And if I were in a marina with you is give you a little cheer when I went by. And if someone gave you a hard time, I'd be the first to come to your aid, whether I liked your life or not. Yeah me too. If your truly a polygamist I think your extremely brave or foolish or both. Cause I find it hard enough keeping one wife happy.

Now that is a cruising community I could come to love.
And apparently I have to put in at least five characters to get this posted, so now I'm just waffling. How many's that?
Old 29-03-2015, 15:42   #203

[QUOTE=Dulcesuenos;1788111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post

I'm not offended have gay friends, could care less what you do in the bedroom, but by your statement, millions of Jews were killed, the US didnt want to do anything at first, Women did not have equality in the US until,,, heck not so sure they do yet looking at some major corporations male to female ratios. Why dont we see their (Pride or whatever movements) is it because they are less Flamboyant?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wow. Are really not aware of the feminist movement, the various women's equality efforts, the Many many Jewis rights organizations, etc?
Old 29-03-2015, 15:45   #204

Quote:
And though you can't sail there, according to some authorities Ethiopia doesn't have any gay people (nor rapists), and I tend to recall Putin or one of his cronies suggesting the same thing?

Thinking about it, there are a number of countries that do not have gay people, as they claim. I do not want to find out what would happen to gay people should they wish to visit. The thing is I would love to visit Russia, they do have some beautiful architecture and museums. Alas I vote with my Dollar, and I am unwilling, at this time, to send it there.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:48   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
LOL Only half joking, as I miss my best friend, who happened to be gay, but sadly died in his early forties. I miss him. My wardrobe has gone to hell since! And yes, I understand that it is not correct to paint all gay people with a broad brush of fashion, style, and good taste. But damn, he seriously had all of those traits. Plus, the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever met in my life. Not my only gay friend either. Male or female.
I can certainly understand why you would be here asking questions as to what to expect in different cruising grounds in our country as well as foreign. I witnessed firsthand what my friends have had to/or have to, deal with, here in the U.S. in their everyday life. Not always nice. Sometimes quite violent. But, as stated there is hope in the next generation as more seem to be willing to “To live and let Live”.
I was called the devil on Facebook last year by a religious zealot for promoting woman’s rights. Bwhahahahaahahahaha What a compliment!
I offer my warmest welcome to you!
We can all tell when it comes from a good place of love... No matter how politically incorrect. I'll take you shopping. I have great taste!
Old 29-03-2015, 15:50   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm still waiting.
Previously posted
Old 29-03-2015, 15:51   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
And yes Randyor3, I have polygamist friends also. However they do not defend their right to live as they choose while simultaneously tramping on the rights of people that choose otherwise. If you want to be accepted then you are going to have to accept others that don’t necessarily share your religious beliefs.
There really is room for all, but it seems that some don’t let others belly up to the bar. Shame, because what a party it could be if all were included.
Here here Gadagirl. Where have you been?!
Old 29-03-2015, 15:54   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yes please spell it out further and answer the question! This is the Liveaboard section of a boating forum and you asked about gay boating issues.

So what are your believed gay BOATING issues, or was the whole thread just a troll to start with?
What is a troll on this forum? In my world a troll means something entirely different I think.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:57   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
I absolutely respect your position and regretfully agree with your position. But, could you not revers that argument?

I must wonder, though, at what point does ones right out way the right of other, and reversely at what point do the right's of other out way the right of one?

Most of the rules we have are to protect ourselves, be it from events or from others. When it comes to protecting ourselves from other, we are forced to curb our behavior to appease the majority or the minority. The ultimate question is at what point does that appeasement becomes unreasonable.
Well I guess NO ONE I have met cruising, straight, gay or trans would be welcome on FlightPlan's boat. And thank god. It sounds awfully boring.
Old 29-03-2015, 15:58   #210
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
I only dealt with the Carribean and America's. Africa is a completely different ball of wax. While the Carribean has become more open and welcoming with most of the countries that outlaw homosexuality at least willing to look the other way for wealth tourists, Africa is becoming more repressive.

If traveling to any African nation then I seriously suggest speaking to the U.S. embasy first. Both for where you are planning to go, and where you will sail past. Some African countries have the death penalty for homosexuals, and are serious about enforcing it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay