Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 21:23   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Full-time sailing & Gabapentin, Neurontin, Gralise or Horizant

Okay ... I've been taking Gabapentin(V.A.), for almost 10 days and was inching toward 2700 mg a day.

When I got to 2400mg a day, I started having problems, I had to grab another boater's anchor to keep from falling off the docks(Tue), and walked into a post(saw it, but I couldn't stop), was very confused and constantly nauseated.

I dropped my dosage to 1800, and I'm feeling better(but more pain ...diabetic neuropathy).

I helped a friend move his boat(about 18 miles), and was having a somewhat hard time keeping from getting sick through the trip.

Is there anyone who's been through this med ... who might give me a heads up?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 21:45   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Full-time sailing & Gabapentin, Neurontin, Gralise or Horizant

Neuropathy pain... bummer for you! Sorry to hear that.

I would say a doctor would give you better advice than a forum like this could. I suspect that medically trained CF members here would abstain from giving you advice from a distance/via this medium. Likely, most of the advice you might receive here, would come from lay persons.
It is up to you what do do which such advice.
Old 30-06-2016, 22:02   #3

I'm not asking for "medical" advice ... I have my doctor for that, my dosage is being monitored and My nurse will call Monday(Tuesday?).

Sailing is quite different from living on terra firma ... what I'm asking for is if others have suffered through this med and how it has effected sailing, or if, eventually, I should "get over it ... the side effects ... or of the side effects seem to linger longer on sailboats.

I want to begin sailing full-time, and would like a sorta heads-up as to what other sailors are experiencing.

Then I might know better how to discuss my concerns with my doctor with some specificity regarding sailing ... she's not a sailor and may never had to address this issue from that standpoint.
Old 01-07-2016, 00:34   #4

I take it. My experience and some of the research I've read indicates it is best taken at staggered doses (half life 5-7 hours) and minimal doses due to bioavailability (it's more effective at lower doses, as the dose increases the efficacy per mg of drug decreases). Also titrate up s-l-o-w-l-y. 10 days to 2700mg seems way too fast. Also the effects of other drugs you are taking with it can be multiplied (obviously). So I'm guessing at 1800mg you're taking 600mg X 3 per day, every 8 hours? You could try taking the 600mg every 6 hours, 4 X per day and see if that helps. My doc advised I adjust my doses and times a little until I found out what worked best for me... Worth a shot.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edit: this may not be the info you wanted... I see on a second read you wanted someone with sailing experience. I am not sailing much right now so can't be helpful there. I'll leave my initial response though in case it's info you want to discuss with your doc.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:24   #5

No one ever told me that the efficacy was as such ... it's good to know that doubling my dose wouldn't double the effect.

If my brain follows my eyes by Tuesday, I'll probably stay at 1800MG ... nurse will be calling Monday(Tuesday?).
Old 01-07-2016, 08:59   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my dad was taking gabapentin for neuropathy and started falling. they upped his dosage he fell more and lost time to unconsciousness. mom stopped giving it to him.
the symptoms stopped that were gaba related, but the neuropathy did not stop. his was caused by spinal stenosis.
best wishes for a fall free and neuropathy free future.
i have neuropathy also, but i choose to not treat it. mine is circulatory in nature related to reynauds disease, systemic.
as an rn with history in intensive and emergency as well as all other critical areas, i refuse to take those meds praised so highly for neuropathy , as i have seen little positive effect from them. i cherish my mobility. yes i sail cruise. full time permanent. outside usa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:16   #7

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Yes I have tried gabapentin twice by 2 different Dr's. The second Dr felt perhaps my dosages were wrong from the first attempt. Nope. Extreme problems with even more than your reactions/ side effects. Talk to your Dr and he'll come up with another plan of action. You're not alone. Sorry for your pains.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:16   #8

Oh my gosh let me tell you about Gabapentin I had a neck injury in a car accident and I have spinal stenosis in my lower back they put me on gabapentin I was on it for almost 2 weeks. I noticed that at night I would wake up startled like the house was on fire! Mind you I have never had any kind of anxiety issues or sleep issues of any sort and when I was awoken like that it was very strange. I do have some acid reflux and thought that maybe that was what was causing that but no. When I talk to the doctor they said yeah that's one of the side effects well I've been on it for about a week when I spoke to the doctor. In a few days it was much worse! I sprang out of bed in the middle of the night like somebody ejected me I went from laying down 2 On My Feet nothing in the middle not like I sit up and then stood up I sprang to my feet but I was still sleep but as I was waking up and being vertical my knees buckled I fell back hit my head on the wall knock myself unconscious! The next morning I called the doctor and they immediately took me off that stuff and have not had any issues since holy crap that stuff is dangerous man
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26   #9

Boat: Oceanis 45

I take it but at a much lower dose. I'm on 300mg three times daily. Total of 900mg a day. It helps take the edge off but doesn't cause any side effects. I've been at this dose for a couple of years and only have issues when I miss a dose. Hope you can figure it out.
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:15   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREX View Post
Yes I have tried gabapentin twice by 2 different Dr's. The second Dr felt perhaps my dosages were wrong from the first attempt. Nope. Extreme problems with even more than your reactions/ side effects. Talk to your Dr and he'll come up with another plan of action. You're not alone. Sorry for your pains.
Ditto!! Gabapentin is not for everyone &,if it is tolerated,optimal dosage is not the same for everyone.
https://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32   #11

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Okay ... I've been taking Gabapentin(V.A.), for almost 10 days and was inching toward 2700 mg a day.

When I got to 2400mg a day, I started having problems, I had to grab another boater's anchor to keep from falling off the docks(Tue), and walked into a post(saw it, but I couldn't stop), was very confused and constantly nauseated.

I dropped my dosage to 1800, and I'm feeling better(but more pain ...diabetic neuropathy).

I helped a friend move his boat(about 18 miles), and was having a somewhat hard time keeping from getting sick through the trip.

Is there anyone who's been through this med ... who might give me a heads up?
Many people can lower their GABA dose by taking once a day at breakfast on an empty stomach alpha-lipoic acid. Add to that one tablet per day of vinpocetin. Then have breakfast. It will take advantage while to settle in but I could reduce it to 3x100 mg per day. I am also doing exercises to stimulate my blood circulation. It seems that oral cannabidiol works pretty well. Good luck and let me know
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:42   #12

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

I stress the importance of taking alpha-lipoic acid (800 mg/tablet) on an empty stomach, since it is resolved in the upper part of the intestines. If mixed with food, stomach acid is secreted that reduces the efficacy, the rest of the food reduces the selective resorption in the upper tract. Although my medical specialty is different, we still did the pharmacology/pharmakinetics in full
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 14:18   #13

Boat: C&C 40

I am also on Gabapentine and spend many hours on our boat. Yes, at times I have problems with steadiness but we have always believed in 1 hand for the boat. I also get very tired when taking my med so we learn to adjust around it. I take it for a different reason and would not sail alone unless an emergency because I know my limitations while on the medication.
Remember that everyone reacts differently to medications. Good luck and reminder of safety first.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 19:36   #14

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Have also been taking gabapentin for about 2 years for severe spinal stenosis, but I am only taking 400 mg once a day in the evening when my pain is the worst. Not having any side affects as yet.
Sorry for your pain, hope you get it worked out.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 20:02   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I take a cocktail of 600x3 gabapentin and 1000mgx3 of methocarbamol and 800 mg x3 ibuprofen daily been taking that cocktail for about 3 years it took about a month to stabilize from side effects.

Tags
sail, sailing