Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-07-2016, 09:17   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Full-time sailing & Gabapentin, Neurontin, Gralise or Horizant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Okay ... I've been taking Gabapentin(V.A.), for almost 10 days and was inching toward 2700 mg a day.

When I got to 2400mg a day, I started having problems, I had to grab another boater's anchor to keep from falling off the docks(Tue), and walked into a post(saw it, but I couldn't stop), was very confused and constantly nauseated.

I dropped my dosage to 1800, and I'm feeling better(but more pain ...diabetic neuropathy).

I helped a friend move his boat(about 18 miles), and was having a somewhat hard time keeping from getting sick through the trip.

Is there anyone who's been through this med ... who might give me a heads up?
Sorry to hear about this....I started taking gabapentin 3 or4 months ago and I had to start off at 100 mg 2 times a day...I have slowly made it up to 1800 mg a day. My dr was very adamant that the process be very slow so I didn't develop the problems you are having... I would slow down with these meds!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Ditto!! Gabapentin is not for everyone &,if it is tolerated,optimal dosage is not the same for everyone.
Very true. My mother-in-law took one pill and was whacko for days. I take 600 X 4 each day and am fine. She was 75 when she had those effects. I'm 70 now.

Everyone's different.

Good luck, 'cuz it ain't fun "needing" them, but without them the pain is, well, a PITA or at least the lower back.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:36   #18

Quote:
Okay ... I've been taking Gabapentin(V.A.), for almost 10 days and was inching toward 2700 mg a day.

When I got to 2400mg a day, I started having problems, I had to grab another boater's anchor to keep from falling off the docks(Tue), and walked into a post(saw it, but I couldn't stop), was very confused and constantly nauseated.

I dropped my dosage to 1800, and I'm feeling better(but more pain ...diabetic neuropathy).

I helped a friend move his boat(about 18 miles), and was having a somewhat hard time keeping from getting sick through the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
Sorry to hear about this....I started taking gabapentin 3 or4 months ago and I had to start off at 100 mg 2 times a day...I have slowly made it up to 1800 mg a day. My dr was very adamant that the process be very slow so I didn't develop the problems you are having... I would slow down with these meds!

I have been taking Gabapentin for about 15 years and have absolutely no issues with it what so ever.

Take note about the dosage levels or you will never, and I mean never get the relief you what from it.

For some reason the body reacts to this drug in an odd way if over 400 mg/day is the original dose......100mg 4 x a day.

A very good friend of mine is a Doctor of Pharmacology and this was his advice to me when I started and the prescribing doctor along with the pharmacist concurred this method of dosage:

100mg QID (4x day) for 21 days
200mg QID for 21 days
400mg QID for another 21 days and then determine if it is working or if you need to increase it.

Once you find the dosage that you think is the correct amount after about a month, then decrease it by 10% and see if you are still getting the same relief after a month, if so the decrease another 10% until you find it is not working, then go back up the 10% and you will have the correct dosage for you.

I currently am at 600mg QID (2400mg/day) and that seems to work for me.

When I began Gabapentin, I was up to 3600/day when I found relief, then after about a month I began the 10% decrease until I found what worked best for me.

And most importantly is QID........every 6 hours is very important for your body to get it's self in tune with the medicine.

This is a marvelous drug when taken correctly, but not for everybody.

If so, try the other drug used for this, Lyrica.

I tried it but the side effects were horrendous, so I went back to Gabapentin.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post

If so, try the other drug used for this, Lyrica.

I tried it but the side effects were horrendous, so I went back to Gabapentin.
My neurologist checked out side effects of both maybe about 10 years ago. Found none for G but plenty for L. Don't know if things have changed since.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06   #20

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

Before Gabapentin, if I went to Walmart, I could walk in the store for about 10-15 minutes before feeling like I couldn't even make it out of the store ... I walk "differently", when I'm shopping.

Normal walking ... I could double the time before the pain.

The pain was intense and involved my back, my siatica, my main front leg muscle(it would go numb and make everything else worse),and the inside of my right knee.

On Gabapentin, I can walk about the same in Walmart, but the, knee pain is less and the neuropathy in the big leg muscle is no longer numb ... The Gabapenting does help, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of all the different pains ... but I'm satisfied that each pain seems to be more "independent".

I don't want a dose that makes sailing too un-enjoyable, since I hope to begin living aboard this year.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:17   #21

Quote:

I have not started my boating but I am certainly VERY knowledgeable about Neuropathy.

I have it in my legs and hands. I tried all kinds of stuff. Tramadol worked OK for a while and added Vicodin. The tramadol your body starts to build resistance. I moved down in the Vicodin when I started Cymbalta. slow build up to get used to it and it was wonderful.

I started seeing a Psych doc and about a year later the burning pain started coming back we added Gab. now we visit every 3 months and review but yes it works better taken 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.

I also have arthritis and bladder cancer as well as the diabetes so I juggle many meds and have a care coordinator. We meet with a pharmacist to determine best approaches to all of my issues.

I am lucky my medical team is all from Mayo in Minnesota

Work closely with your primary, Neurologist, and pharmacist.

Good Luck to you

Rookie

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: